Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hermit Challenge  (Read 2255 times)

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hermit Challenge
« on: March 17, 2012, 11:23:48 am »

I decided to start a hermit challenge, lo and behold, its more annoying in the newest version of DF.  Migrant waves of around 20 come about every year, and then 2 smaller waves.  With this many dwarfs coming in, there are a lot of ghosts to deal with when they all die, and they won't leave my poor hermit alone until dealt with.

This was reclaim so there are a few ghosts who I cannot get rid of,  and now it seems to have reached the point where my hermit is on break almost all the time when there's still work to be done burrying/memorializing the last group of dwarfs who all died.

Is there anything I can do to save this current hermit? DF hack the ghosts away or something? Or will I need to start a new embark with a population cap to keep the waves small?   My dwarf is happy so its not misery that is causing the constant 'on break'  but damn..

would running out of food/drink make my dwarf not be on break after the next time it gets hungry/thirsty and not having anything to eat/drink snap it into action?   Or just forbidding the stuff might work?  I like this embark so far so would like to save it. 

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Hermit Challenge
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 11:42:09 am »

I think the new DFhack has an option that allows you to carve slabs for ghosts from before reclaim.

To avoid this in the future, let the migrants make and build coffins, before you kill them.
You could also use the first few migrant waves to wall off the edge of the map with raised bridges, to avoid further migrants/merchants/sieges. I don't know if migrants will come again, once you breach a cavern that has a connection to the map edge
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:43:56 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 11:48:59 am »

DFHack also has an option to clear all 'missing' tags to 'dead' tags so you don't have to send dwarves out to view the bodies before slabbing them.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:58:44 am »

I think the new DFhack has an option that allows you to carve slabs for ghosts from before reclaim.

To avoid this in the future, let the migrants make and build coffins, before you kill them.
You could also use the first few migrant waves to wall off the edge of the map with raised bridges, to avoid further migrants/merchants/sieges. I don't know if migrants will come again, once you breach a cavern that has a connection to the map edge

Just imagine what each migrant wave would be confronted with - a heap of dwarf corpses from the last wave and a row of empty coffins, presumably with a sign:

Please bury previous wave & prepare coffins for yourselves. Thanks! -The Management
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:25:26 pm »

I imagine it would be much more humorous.  "Be polite, bus your own graves."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:30:37 pm »

Personally, as an overseer I would be more callous and sardonic than that...

"I suppose you thought I was kidding when I posted signs at the mountainhome stating that HermitHovel, the estate of isolation, was a 1 dwarf show. Either that, or you can't read, or are just plain stupid. Well, if you thought it was a joke, here's the punchline: see those coffins? The last group of morons who attempted immigration left their bodies lying all over. Kindly put them in the boxes, and put them in the ground. While you are at it, make some coffins and dig some holes for yourself. Hermit hovel doesn't even have a front door. You are *not* getting inside, and I purposefully embarked in an area infested with deadly creatures. If you look overhead, there is. 30% chance of sighting a family of rocs.  Really funny huh? Yeah. I'm totally a comedian. Your deaths will amuse me greatly. If you are simply that stupid to come here, after being told not to, please go being some sunberry cookies to the cave titan just up the hillside. He likes dwarves, and will greatly appreciate your offering.  If you can't read? Well... you won't be reading this sign anyway, so die however you see fit, or ask one of your peers to read it for you.

--Lord high-hermit, soverign and master of hermithovel,
Urist McCrazybeard.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:57:01 pm »

hehehe, i figured out why my hermit wasnt doing anything, still have the ghosts but its not that bad,  I'm using masterwork mod, and I had set my hermit to some of the new noble positions, and those were positions that keep a dwarf from being active for normal efforts, so without any of the special noble duties to do, and being blocked from doing regular dwarf stuff, my hermit was just on break all the time.  Well that mystery is solved, and I have a better idea of what to do about all these ghosts, thanks! :D