Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regicidal soldiers  (Read 956 times)

aube

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Regicidal soldiers
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:24:28 am »

My queen (a spearmaster in active service herself) has been attacked by her soldiers, for no apparent cause. Details below.

My fortress has two squads of professional soldiers, one armed with hammers and the other with spears. I made the queen of my civilization a spear dwarf.

As far as I can tell, there are no were-dwarves or vampires at loose in my fortress, given how there have been no recent immigrants and no untoward affairs for years.

In late spring a decade after the founding of Pageclouted, I sent my speardwarves to handle a goblin ambush, using the stationing command. They had no trouble finishing the goblin lashers. When I cancelled the stationing command, one of the spearmasters (one that came in the same immigration wave as the queen, no less) in the squad turned on the queen, and was quickly put down for her trouble.

Edit: I'm on v0.34.02.

Figuring it was a bug, I reverted to my last save. Late spring rolled around once again, and again there was a goblin ambush. I sent in my hammerlords first and the speardwarves to have them try to steal some kills. Once again, the queen was attacked, this time by a hammerlord.

So what might be inciting my dwarves to treason? How might I avoid it? Was it a bad idea to conscript the monarch in the first place? Has this happened to anyone else?

As a side note, all of the dwarves in my fortress are at content or better (except the queen, who's at fine), so it probably isn't a tantrum.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:15:20 am by aube »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Regicidal soldiers
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:38:33 am »

It could be a loyalty cascade. Did you ever order these guys to kill a dwarven caravan/diplomat? If not, double-check everyone involved to make sure that none of them are werecritters/vampires/etc. If none of that is true, then my ideas are exhausted.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:46:18 am »

It's possible that a member of the ambush is incorrectly marked as still being a member of your civilization. I'd post a savegame on DFFD where the ambush squad is present but not yet dead.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

aube

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 10:59:15 am »

Thanks for the replies.

From what I've heard, I think this is different from a loyalty cascade. The attack went something like this: Urist attacks queen, all of the soldiers in the vicinity gang up on and kill Urist. Everyone goes happily on their way.

Besides, the chances of the queen being the first target both times is only 0.1*0.05=0.005, or 1/200.

Let me try to duplicate this again.

Edit: I have never ordered an attack on a caravan/diplomat, and as I described the fortress hasn't had any immigration for years, and the sole vampire has been entombed for even longer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:34:09 am by aube »

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:49:37 am »

My queen (a spearmaster in active service herself) has been attacked by her soldiers, for no apparent cause. Details below.
Was she found leaving the kitchen?   

/joke

aube

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »

A save for the beginning of the ambush has been uploaded to DFFD. Interestingly, it was the queen who threw the first stab this time through.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5920

Update:
I kept my whole spear squad in their barracks during the ambush in an effort to avoid regicide, but a hammer lord attacked the queen when they met in the dinning hall after the battle was over. She killed the queen, and then set on my civilians. I'm going to just sit back and watch what happens next. Since the monarch's dead, I'm assuming the command structure is in disarray and so I'm not going to issue an order to the soldiers.

I predict the hammer lord will eventually be put down by one of the other professional soldiers, most likely another hammer lord. Then the fortress will go out in a tantrum spiral.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:31:08 pm by aube »