Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone else have this syndrome: birth-pale-dead?  (Read 3855 times)

Gruz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Anyone else have this syndrome: birth-pale-dead?
« on: March 17, 2012, 09:18:11 am »

So, my legendary miner got child. Eveerything is ok, but after month she falls asleep in a middle of tunnel, next her health status shows pale and seconds after she die? I tried several reloads with it, everytime same thing.

Is it an infection, which health screen dont show up or a bug? Anyone else have this happening?

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else have this syndrome: birth-pale-dead?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 10:23:52 am »

I think 'pale' indicates loss of blood. There might have been a vampire who drained her while she was asleep. Don't know why you wouldn't see him/her though. Do vampires sneak when they feed?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 10:27:42 am »

No, they transform into a "Ñ"
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Gruz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:00:34 pm »

Ok,

Reason found: the child is a vampire... are bornt child suppose to be able to be vampire straight from birth?

So, next question is, how to kill a child and does that get mother in tantrum?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:09:39 pm »

I thought you could only get vampires to migrate to your fort, not spontaneous creation.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:13:36 pm »

From playing around in Therapist with Reveal Curses cheat on, I noticed that Vampires don't show up in the 'u' list, well not until the CSI investigation is conducted and they get Hammered.  I personally haven't gotten that far myself, but read about other people who have.  They just mingle in your fort, doing what they do.  Until they are uncovered.  Can't target them for killing, which is frustrating.  Can't do much with them at all. 

I set up a burrow for mine, but the Add Civie list didn't show him.  Uncovering them is not easy.  As there is lots of wrongly filed sitings.  I hammered the wrong fella, last night.  This bloodletting adds a considerable degree of difficulty to the game and interferes with Fortress play more than it intrigues.  Vampires must be a hoot in Adventure mode.  Wish I played that aspect of the game, but just cannot come to play it without an autoexplore key. 

I'm just not good enough to play Fortress mode with murders in the mix.  Maybe someday.  Here, for now, Vampires are off in worldgen.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:18:55 pm »

Sounds like a diety dropped a vampire curse on the baby... and the baby wanted more than milk from mom.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 03:04:08 pm »

So, my legendary miner got child. Eveerything is ok, but after month she falls asleep in a middle of tunnel, next her health status shows pale and seconds after she die? I tried several reloads with it, everytime same thing.

Is it an infection, which health screen dont show up or a bug? Anyone else have this happening?

Does mother have a bed?  No dwarf with a bed they can reach should ever just 'fall asleep' in the middle of anywhere but a bed (they might decide to use someone else's bed, but they WILL use a bed).

If Mom has a bed but falls asleep in the middle of a path, then Mom's not ok.  Either she cannot path to that bed, or she is suffering from a syndrome.  Check her inventory, see if there's 'stuff' on her body.  Check both her health screen but also her thoughts - some syndromes don't hurt the body, they rot the insides and never show on the health screen as injuries because the 'skin' is intact and it's not really a 'wound' even as you bleed to death inside.

If Mom doesn't have a bed, quickly give her one, either by assigning some else's bed to her or getting a bed made, placed, and assigned to her.

See if she is still bleeding out when in bed, or if she's dropping and bleeding out where she was despite having a bed - and let us know what happens?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Gruz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 03:32:39 pm »

I build the bed, she went there. Falls asleep and that little vampire sucked her dry in no time. :/
I even removed bed from them, but that little sucker just continue after bed was removed.

I even put a hammerer in there watching the show, he just stood there and didnt do nothing. Dunno what to do with that little bloodsucker, cant kill him or drop him. Mother keeps him close no matter what and eventually falls asleep and get sucked dry.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 03:36:01 pm »

Pour water on the mother, separate them, build a wall?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 03:41:47 pm »

This amazes me :D

Sorry for your doomed dwarf.

These are immigrants, yes?  This child was not born on your map?  If it was born on your map, the mother is a recent immigrant who was already pregnant?

Who knew that the gods could curse babies?  Unborn babies?  Curse any dwarf during fortress mode?  All the dwarves I've seen cursed were -defilers- who had first been priests of that god, and a baby can't have that background.

Would be REALLY funny if that's not a baby, but an adult, normally cursed vampire who masked as a baby... and fooled Mom into picking it up like it was her baby and carrying it all the way to your fortress.  Has Mom always moved a little slow?

Would you mind uploading a save of your game (with mom still alive!) for us to mess around with if we want?

Another idea to possibly save mom is to place mom in a danger room and trigger the spears, this tends to get babies dead and might save Mom in time, if you have enough time before Mom falls asleep.

Gruz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 04:21:00 pm »

Heres the save:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5923

So, i continued trying to save my miner. That bed trick btw worked anyhow, vampson stopped sucking her after bed removal. There were eye witness but no one cares (I didnt have hammerer or cellblock that time).

Soon after dwarf caravan arrived, i moved mother bed to door of the depot. After a while minermother come to sleep there with vampson, but that little sucker didnt suck again... dunno if hes full from last time. I did want to see if those caravan guards would kill the offspring after they see him sucking his mother but no luck. Son does sleep like an angel with her this time. :(

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 05:51:31 pm »

Normal vampires have an 'on break' job when they go to feed, at least every adult vamp I've seen go to feed has had this job.

Perchance, did the baby have 'on break' instead of 'no job'?  Course, tonight when I get home I can check this out too ;p   Thanks for that save!

CursedBurger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 07:04:04 pm »

Vampires don't age, do they? Does that mean the vampire baby will wander the halls as an immortal tyke?

Gruz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 03:59:01 am »

There were adult immigrant vampire which I just discovered. He may be cause of all this or then again baby still was an another vampire.

I impaled that bloodsucking offspring on wooden training spear (where hes still hanging). So vampires do die on wooden stakes or he did not be that vampire at all? Anyway bad luck for mother... :/ (Though shes gonna be my hammerer, so she knows whats shes gonna be up against to).
Pages: [1] 2