Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What a boon! (thanks DFHack)  (Read 797 times)

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What a boon! (thanks DFHack)
« on: March 17, 2012, 07:10:38 am »

I can't stop expressing my gratitude to people working of DF utils. Without them DF for me would be unplayable.

Case in point, DFHack just solved for me a long standing pain in the arse problem... How to identify animals easily, when you want to pen them, free them, cage them, whatever.

You can use a command, like 'rename unit Wardog8' to rename the animal under the cursor.

This is simply AWESOME live/time saver (in the context of DF obviously)  :D :D

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: What a boon! (thanks DFHack)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:00:44 am »

Without them DF for me would be unplayable.
:(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:03:44 am »

maybe this was better suited in discussion instead of gameplay questions
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:27:36 am »

Or just comment in the dfhack thread. Some folks never leave the modding section of the forum.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 11:54:51 am »

Perhaps, but then what is the % of people who knows they can rename pets to identify them? And honestly, that's quite a pain to identify them for pen/chain...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:26:09 pm »

The mods definately make it more enjoyable, for me.  I cannot say, thank you enough.  To both the modders and to Toady.  Game is a great past time.  And the community rocks.  I'd have worded the boon a little different, so as not to insult Toady and his fanbase, however.  That's never a good thing to do.

For the record, I didn't know I could do that, thanks for the pro tip.  I often flounder around trying to find the sex on those dogs.  I hate wasting a female war dog who could breed me more, when I have a male in a pen somewhere.  Its a lil difficult to track them, since that pen interface doesn't show sexes, explicitly. 

In another thread there are ways to permanently change animal names in the raws.  Like Hound Dog and Bitch.  So you can easily tell the difference. I've lost the thread to that.  Think subject was Babies or something.  War Bitches were made in it.  Was a funny read.  Take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »

If you want to advertise outside of modding then I would recommend a different title for the thread. Something more descriptive than "DFHack is awesome guys." We know it's awesome. Why is it awesome FOR YOU?

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 01:04:31 pm »

Sure, without Toady, nothing would be there, that's a given. I'm sorry to have conveyed anything against Toady when I said that 'DF would be unplayable, for me'... Perhaps I have a too low level of tolerance for the UI, which is, how to say that without being rude? :) less than optimal?

I should have posted that elsewhere perhaps. But then, it is a gameplay tip to anyone like me who spent literally hours trying to figure if the 9th war dog in the long list of animals is the one I want to cage... Now this is solved for good with DF Hack. So, this is a 'gameplay tip' in a sense I believe.

No question, DF is a great game and Toady a great dev :)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 01:20:22 pm »

DF is a great game and Toady a great dev :)
I can dance to that song!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.