Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Hunt for Whales!  (Read 5427 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Hunt for Whales!
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:58:54 am »

How do you get fish such as sharks or creatures such as squids or whales? I HAVE a fishing industry, and the biggest thing they caught was a goddamn clownfish. Help please! Also: how do I maximise the chance of getting a whale?

Billfred

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunt for Whales!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:21:20 am »

Not that I have attempted it myself, but I imagine that catching whales involves embarking on a coast and then using ‼Science‼ to construct a trap that keeps the whales in an enclosed area while the water is drained out.

The wiki says they sometimes appear beached, providing you with huge amounts of food for no effort. But as I have no experience with whales I cannot say how often this happens.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:25:43 am »

Thank you!

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 05:54:14 am »

Look for a thread called "Oceanshoots - Hunting whales with ballistae" for a good example.

I don't mean to be rude, but in general it would be nice if people ran a few searches before asking. This particular subforum is usually slightly painful to read because it tends to loop and loop and loop around the same questions and people inventing the same things in their imagination the first time ever.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 06:15:42 am »

Just to clarify something you seem to misunderstand: Fisherdwarves will only catch small fish, which are classified as vermin. They're never going to bag a tuna or a shark, much less a whale.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:29:44 am »

The catching part of the Sea Serpent farming linked in my signature will also work on whales, sharks and other large oceanic creatures.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 10:15:53 am »

Basically what's happening is that fisherdwarves only catch vermin-type fish. Those are invisible and do not count as creatures in the same way sharks or whales do. An ocean biome will generate groups of fish in a manner similar to a jungle generates tapirs, they just wander in from the edge of the map.

To catch "real" fish, like you can see in the units screen you would need to put cage traps in the water and wait for the animals to path into them. See the aforementioned thread on Oceanshoots for an example of how to achieve this.

Once you have these fish, I think you process them in a butcher shop. The "clean a raw fish" job applies to the vermin-type fish caught by fisherdwarves.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:04 am »

All large animals are butchered in the butcher's shop.  Land, water, or air, it all falls under the knife.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »

I once got a bunch of whales to beach near my fort. Because their carcasses take so long to haul I built some butcher shops outside right near the whales. Just as I finished butchering one, while all my dwarves were charging outside to bring whale to foodpile, I got ambushed by some goblins and lost half my population...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 01:36:56 pm »

Whales have now been weaponized by goblins to lure dwarves to their doom!

xeivous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 01:45:15 pm »

Whales have now been weaponized by goblins to lure dwarves to their doom!
Clearly retaliatory +Whale Bone Bolts+ are in order.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 01:49:50 pm »

The best way (IMO) to catch large sea creatures is to set up a system that drains an ocean into an aquifer through a series of cage traps.  Its complex, but produces incredible amounts of food. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 02:37:11 pm »

I don't think you need an aquifer for that. If you could set up a tunnel-y thing that gets fed water from the sea/ocean and dumps it either back in the sea or, and this is easier, off-map you can get the same thing. All you then need is a way to shut off the water supply and a way to get rid of the water without also flushing away your fishies and marine mammals, and hey presto you have a critter. An aquatic critter on rapidly-drying land. Just place a butchery and a tannery in the tunnel instead of a cage trap and there's no bother whatsoever. :P

Now I wish I'd tried that on my previous fort. Not that I was short on food or anything, but still.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:29 pm »

The best way (IMO) to catch large sea creatures is to set up a system that drains an ocean into an aquifer through a series of cage traps.  Its complex, but produces incredible amounts of food.

Actually, this doesn't work very well.  The bizarre nature of fluid flow in DF means that a draining ocean will have pockets of standing 7/7 water here and there.  Creatures only are pushed by flow when in water of less than 7/7, and an aquatic creature in 7/7 deep water will never voluntarily path into shallower water, so what you tend to end up with is the creatures you're trying to catch stuck in those random pockets of 7/7 water and never leaving.  I've actually tried this and other methods of catching sea creatures.

It works far better if you can get the creatures to move into the cage traps under their own power.  To catch sea creatures I dig channels lined with cage traps along the beach, with a raising bridge so you can seal them off from the ocean to drain and recover the creatures.  Dogs on platforms out over the ocean scare sea creatures into the channels, where they are caught, and I then seal them off, pump the water out, and gather the caged creatures.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: [1] 2