Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rivers Of Fire!  (Read 3110 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rivers Of Fire!
« on: March 17, 2012, 04:47:44 am »

Well, I was wondering: In a volcano area, there's this space between the main mountain and the volcano. I was wondering whether I could build a platform connecting the two, and then either build copper pipes (copper is the metal I have) or build a walls on both sides out of stone, so that the magma would flow across to the other side, so that I can have two sets of magma smelters, etc. Which approach is the best one?

Also: other unrelated question: if I've embarked near a beach, with a LOT of water, around 8 or so z-levels deep, would I be able to build the entrance to my fortress at sea? That is: I build a jetty, out of stone, and then I build a large platform with a 3*3 space in the middle for up-down stairs. Would this work, and if not, how would one do it?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rivers Of Fire!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:59:15 am »

Yeah, you can make a bridge to carry the magma. Just be aware you'll have to build it with walls for sides and a floor for the bottom, since 'pipe' objects are only useful in mechanical pumps.

I'm assuming that you want to build a staircase down from the sea level to the sea floor. If so, it's very hard to do. You basically have 2 options:

1. Embark in a freezing area, wait for the sea to freeze, dig into the ice and build walls to make it waterproof before it thaws.
2. Cast obsidian in the area that you want to dig down into (requires magma).
[Signature]

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:03:51 am »

Thank you! SO once I've built my bridge and the setup looks like this, where W is a cliff wall, z is a stone wall D is my dwarf and  = is a floor, do I get my dwarf to channel out the wall to the southeast of him? Should I "forbid" the floor of the walled area?

W               W
WzzzzzzzzzzDW
W=======W
WzzzzzzzzzzzW
W               W
W               W

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 11:28:22 am »

Thank you! SO once I've built my bridge and the setup looks like this, where W is a cliff wall, z is a stone wall D is my dwarf and  = is a floor, do I get my dwarf to channel out the wall to the southeast of him? Should I "forbid" the floor of the walled area?

W               W
WzzzzzzzzzzDW
W=======W
WzzzzzzzzzzzW
W               W
W               W

Is the dwarf standing on the wall? He can only channel a wall from above if there's an open space above it.

If there isn't, he'll just have to mine the wall from inside the bridge and run for his life. Just replace one of the floor tiles with an up stair if you want him to be able to escape.
[Signature]

Mr.Elendig

• Bay Watcher
  • [TWISTED][INSANE][CANT_SPELL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 12:57:07 pm »

I would generally also recomend using pump(s) to speed up the magama movement, specially if you at the end have a fair sized chamber/cistern. Natural flow might even be so low that the lava will evaporate in the chamber faster than it can fill it. I usually use two pumps per tile of channel width.

gwathlobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:16:38 pm »

Natural flow might even be so low that the lava will evaporate in the chamber faster than it can fill it.
This is no longer true in the new version. Now magma flows practically as fast as water.

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:17:24 pm »

Yeah, you can make a bridge to carry the magma. Just be aware you'll have to build it with walls for sides and a floor for the bottom, since 'pipe' objects are only useful in mechanical pumps.

I'm assuming that you want to build a staircase down from the sea level to the sea floor. If so, it's very hard to do. You basically have 2 options:

1. Embark in a freezing area, wait for the sea to freeze, dig into the ice and build walls to make it waterproof before it thaws.
Couldn't you cave-in a pillar of rock?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 02:12:24 pm »

Couldn't you cave-in a pillar of rock?

Obsidian casting is the only way to get rock above the sea.
[Signature]

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 03:06:43 pm »

You could also use pumps to remove water and build whatever you want there, and then remove those when you are done. Or just build a drain linked to the side of the map.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 05:28:04 pm »

Natural flow might even be so low that the lava will evaporate in the chamber faster than it can fill it.
This is no longer true in the new version. Now magma flows practically as fast as water.

Considering that I'll be doing the same for water from now on (Or at the very least, using z-levels to apply pressure), it's still a good idea to use pumps for magma.

Also, throw out any idea of how fluids flow from real life. A single tile wide aqueduct combined with pumps/pressure is more than adequate and a single pump will move more than enough magma to feed a cistern provided that your source can keep up with the pump's obscene rate of fluid movement.