Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Massive Migrant Wave  (Read 2850 times)

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Massive Migrant Wave
« on: March 17, 2012, 12:32:54 am »

First year.  17 citizens.  I'm on a *very* mineral rich site, plenty of natural gold, iron ore, galena, and lignite.  It took me awhile to reach the good stuff, so I ended up trading a bunch of near-worthless mudstone trinkets to the trade caravan.  I get a 'some migrants have arrived' message.

I watch them come.

... and come...

... and come...

42 migrants.  For a fort with 14 people.   :o  The migrant wave nearly quadrupled my population.  I'm freaking out because I'm nowhere near ready for this many, I've got 25 bedrooms, a dining room that seats 15, winter's about to hit and I'm not sure if my booze and food stocks will hold up because I had my farmers doing hauling once I figured I had enough to last me for a year with my current population.  Plus, only three of them have any useful skills.  The rest are farmers (who have maybe a third the skill of my existing farmers), beekeepers, fishery workers, and TWENTY CHILDREN.

What the hell happened?  There's no way the caravan sent them here, last time the trade caravan was here I hadn't hit the Native Gold yet - I sold maybe 3k dorfbucks in mudstone crafts.  Do migrants just somehow 'know' that I stopped using mudstone and started putting Native Gold cabinets in everybody's room?  Don't get me wrong, I love the extra manpower (even if most of it is only good for hauling at the moment), but this is way more than I'm prepared to handle right now!

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: Massive Migrant Wave
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:38:20 am »

Seems that ridiculously huge migrant waves are typical in the latest version. As a bonus, any of those migrants who are married and female have a good chance of being pregnant. If it's too many for you to handle you can always kill off the excess.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 01:01:34 am »

Seems that ridiculously huge migrant waves are typical in the latest version. As a bonus, any of those migrants who are married and female have a good chance of being pregnant. If it's too many for you to handle you can always kill off the excess.

I suspect the 'killing off the excess' bit will handle itself.  I've got 60 dwarves, 20 of them children and 30 of them useless halfwits.  This going to be fun! XD

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 01:20:17 am »

I love the new migrant waves, because I run on 100 dwarfs and still not enough idlers to do everything that I set.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 01:21:48 am »

A high-quality dormitory is always a good investment when you expect more migrants. Once you reach your cap, or have dwarfpower to spare, individual rooms will be easier, but I almost always begin with a statue-laden dorm for everyone to sleep in.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

KainInt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 01:30:57 am »

I gotcha beat.
Year 2, only had 34 dwarves.
Summer = 40.
Autumn = 56.
Winter = 63.

It was mildly ridiculous.
I'm siting on 240 dwarves cause they keep giving birth.

mikelon

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:34:35 am »

The entrance to my fort is over  5 maximum length bridges over a 10z pit i dug, i like my 50 dwarf fort and i aim to keep it that way

im suprised though, in earlier versions killing this many migrants wouldve stopped the waves by now, but in this version they dont stop, ever

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 01:35:10 am »

Yeah I am 4 years in and at 218 dorfs, only 2 died so far, 1 turned into a werewolf and killed 3 of the vampires I put him in a den with. I still don't have enough dorfs to actually have idlers to do anything with.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 01:48:55 am »

Largest ive had in one fell swoop so far was 39, 19 of which were adults, and 39 of which were skilless wastes of space.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Broseidon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 01:52:10 am »

You will always get tons of migrants on your third migrant wave.  Always.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 02:44:26 am »

I think the biggest wave i ever got was 28.  Last migration wave I got 3 >_> and I needed a lot more.

sirquote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 02:56:30 am »

Migrants aren't picky tho, at least not in my book. I'd of just shoved them in a dorm with 5 beds and put them on farming duty, they should be too busy working to be concerned with fine dining.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 03:12:47 am »

Beds and tables aren't that important. New migrants can easily go without beds / tables for more than a year without becoming unhappy. Food and booze is what you need, to keep em alive.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ascyron

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 04:11:20 am »

I had the exact same thing today!

Right after I get each migrant wave I always check therapist to see how many newbies I have.
Started with 18 dorfs. Ended up with EIGHTY.
... and fifty eight of them were children.

Starvation spiral anyone?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 04:16:07 am »

Beds and tables aren't that important. New migrants can easily go without beds / tables for more than a year without becoming unhappy. Food and booze is what you need, to keep em alive.

I'm on year 7 or something and I only put beds in the last year. Only one table and chair for my record keeper. Not very many dwarves are ecstatic, but I've yet to have one reach unhappy because of their living condition. Booze, lavish meals and a lack of drama seems to stave off irritation. Even having embarked in a jungle where it's raining constantly, they've just soldiered on.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2