Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Piggies = Good?  (Read 2461 times)

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Piggies = Good?
« on: March 16, 2012, 10:44:35 pm »

Hey guys!

Throwing together another embark (just now upgraded to 34.05 since it seems the updates are done for a while) for a new fort.

Are pigs worthwhile to grab during prep? I have enough points for a breeding pair and I have all of my other bases covered. So I don't really know whether to take pigs or just more goats or turkeys (I already have 4 females...) or something else. I'm chiefly interested in how long it takes pigs to mature. I'm thinking of using them as free meat, especially since they don't have to graze (so I assume they can be left inside without moss). Would be nice to have a stable supply for the butcher without having to use the hunter. But if it takes a pig five years to mature, it's really not going to be super worthwhile, is it?

Well, anyways, let me know what you guys think about piggies. Or if you have suggestions as to what else I can take for 188 points... that works, too. Even if I take a breeding pair I'll have points left over, so I'm not really sure what to take aside from some more seeds.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: Piggies = Good?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 11:00:29 pm »

I like piggies.  I try and establish a pen of them, with migrant pigs and bought pigs.  I haven't taken them on embarks in awhile tho, since they seem sorta expensive, for 1 leather and 4 hoofs.  And die easily to raids.  Winged farmed animals seem slightly more elusive when chased, by raiders.  Completely up to you.  I like hog pens in my caverns, good early warning system for FBs, I suppose.  But not certain, anymore, since things go MISSING, without a warning message...  I know kittys go missing, not sure bout farm animals.  *shrug*  Something to test.  Up to you.  I wish I could find a good use for the grazing penalty, like some sort of dry potash derivative, that needs dirty water, in order to reconstitute whole potash.  Something we could use a pan full of corrupt rain with. ha!  Take care, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 11:06:39 pm »

I like piggies.  I try and establish a pen of them, with migrant pigs and bought pigs.  I haven't taken them on embarks in awhile tho, since they seem sorta expensive, for 1 leather and 4 hoofs.  And die easily to raids.  Winged farmed animals seem slightly more elusive when chased, by raiders.  Completely up to you.  I like hog pens in my caverns, good early warning system for FBs, I suppose.  But not certain, anymore, since things go MISSING, without a warning message...  I know kittys go missing, not sure bout farm animals.  *shrug*  Something to test.  Up to you.  I wish I could find a good use for the grazing penalty, like some sort of dry potash derivative, that needs dirty water, in order to reconstitute whole potash.  Something we could use a pan full of corrupt rain with. ha!  Take care, Knutor

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, they're fairly expensive... but as I mentioned, if they grow fairly quickly, I can pump them out to slaughter them for food/hooves/leather/bones. I mean, what else would I take? 102 points is enough to grab like 15 more turkeys, and that would just be extreme. Haha. I guess I'll give the piggies a try and trade them out on my next embark if I don't like them. :p

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 11:28:12 pm »

Maybe when Toady rewrites the dungeon master code, he'll give us a break on embark points for large livestock, since they tend to mature at a slower rate than rabbits.  Like if we buy a foal, calf or piggy, we get half off the embark price, since they are not full grown.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 11:40:25 pm »

That would make sense. It's dumb that they cost the same now, if you ask me. There is less utility for the same price...

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 12:17:44 am »

I can't say whether they're worth embark points because I haven't played fort mode since the update, but I can go through the raws and tell you that pigs reach full size when they are 2 years old (they become "adults" at one year, but will double in size over the next year, and all of this is typical for farm animals). They're 20% bigger than goats and 12 times bigger than turkeys, both of which mature at the same rate. I can also tell you that dwarfs like them for their snorts.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:23:26 am by Absentia »

Goldmoon627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 06:52:30 am »

You might also want to consider sheep, you get everything from them you would a pig, and you can shear them for wool.

Edit: i just checked the raws and it apears pigs are abit bigger. 60000 for pigs and 50000 for sheep. so if you are looking for animals for a meat industry i would go with pigs. if not, then sheep.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:56:06 am by Goldmoon627 »
Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 07:47:44 am »

Animals in the current state of this game are pretty much useless. You will soon start to drown in tallow and your fort will be full with piglets and other animals you choosed to breed.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

ScratchtasticZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 11:18:21 am »

I can't say whether they're worth embark points because I haven't played fort mode since the update, but I can go through the raws and tell you that pigs reach full size when they are 2 years old (they become "adults" at one year, but will double in size over the next year, and all of this is typical for farm animals). They're 20% bigger than goats and 12 times bigger than turkeys, both of which mature at the same rate. I can also tell you that dwarfs like them for their snorts.

You might also want to consider sheep, you get everything from them you would a pig, and you can shear them for wool.

Edit: i just checked the raws and it apears pigs are abit bigger. 60000 for pigs and 50000 for sheep. so if you are looking for animals for a meat industry i would go with pigs. if not, then sheep.

Looks like they'll fulfill their purpose then. Two years isn't that bad at all.

Animals in the current state of this game are pretty much useless. You will soon start to drown in tallow and your fort will be full with piglets and other animals you choosed to breed.

The tallow problem I've encountered before... it's kind of annoying, yeah; I'll probably trade it away just to get rid of it, otherwise I can dump it somewhere in the caverns. As far as having too many animals around, that's not a problem. I planned all along to butcher excess goats and the pigs exist solely to be butchered... so I'll only maintain a breeding pair of them over time. Everything else dies at the hands of my butcher. =]

Oh, and the dogs will become war dogs and the cats will become my fearless cavern explorers. :D