Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Please - a roguelike that works (other than DF and Zapm)  (Read 10082 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Please - a roguelike that works (other than DF and Zapm)
« on: March 16, 2012, 08:48:21 pm »

I'm not asking for much, I don't think. I just want a game that's playable without being retarded.

Meaning no ADOM, because I don't like my saved characters consistently getting corrupted with never before seen error messages, wasting who knows how many hours of progress, over and over again. So either it crashes, or my saved game is corrupted, for no reason I can figure. Not an option anymore, despite seeming really fun, stability issues are just too severe.

Also, no nethack, because I just spent 20 minutes with that game and figured out how to do everything except moving. If someone can explain movement to me, I'll give it another try, but the whole "everything is the same color so you need to highlight the screen to see stuff" is pretty fucking annoying as well. It's got keybindings listed - they work for everything except for movement. Except up and left, that works using the vi-keys. The game seems pretty boring other than that anyways, though perhaps I've been spoiled by other games.

Zapm is great, but I want something with a bit more depth. I'm on DF-hiatus right now, though I'm just gonna go back to that at this point if there's really no serious alternatives.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Please - a roguelike that works (other than DF and Zapm)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 08:55:33 pm »

Dumb suggestion, but, Crawl? Its absence on your list puzzles me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 09:14:31 pm »

That is because it was also completely absent from my mind! Thank you, I'll give it a try!

I KNEW there was a big one I was missing...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:29:55 pm »

ToME4, Brogue? T4 might give fits if you're on a 64 bit windows system, though.

Anyway, can give search on this very forum for roguelike and get a few threads, probably pull up something functional. No doubt there's more comprehensive lists out there, heh.

Can always check out roguebasin if you're willing to sift through junk until something functions.

E: Oh, right! If you liked ZAPM, perhaps try PRIME? It's basically an unofficial expansion to ZAPM.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:51:34 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:16 pm »

I'm actually on 'nix32 which is the problem. I've been lead to believe that Nethack and ADOM both function flawlessly on windows. :/

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 10:23:54 pm »

IVAN, if you like DF adventure mode's style of Fun.

Hmm.. tempted to try this Zapm, but I hate playing roguelikes on a laptop.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:36:29 pm »

Dungeons of Dredmor? Wonderful graphics and mouse support with good controls and an easy to understand ruleset. It's like 5 bucks on Steam.

Stonesoup is also quite fun if you're looking for a more "classic" roguelike. Has a good graphical client.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:19:49 pm »

The recent release of DoomRL is absolutely magnificent too, mouse driven interface, superb graphic tiles and great sound atmosphere.

Elona has superb pixel art visuals and is rather unique in its humour and its insanity,, the gameplay is rather sandbox too meaning that you don't have a specific path to follow.

Both have their dedicaced threads on this board too.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 12:30:20 am »

Putting in for DoomRL, too. I also really liked the Aliens RL.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 12:38:51 am »

CastlevaniaRL is really good too IMO, if brutally unforgiving. Surprised it's never really caught on with people around here. slashie spit shined that mofo, it's got so much polish.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 04:08:57 am »

I'm actually on 'nix32 which is the problem. I've been lead to believe that Nethack and ADOM both function flawlessly on windows. :/
ADOM functions flawlessly on like win95; it does the whole corruption and wheekaboom on newer stuff for a lot of people, too. Bloody game was made for DOS or something iirc. Is old.

T4 and Brogue should both be fine, though, once you get 'em compiled and everything. Most of the dev for both of them are done on 'nix systems, iirc. Well, definitely for T4 (Most of the major code contributors run linux.), can't speak as well for Brogue.

Anyway, if running on linux is a concern, you definitely don't have much to worry about. Most roguelikes have varying degrees of linux support and there's quite a few of them that only support linux (i.e. no windows/mac binary, etc.). You just lucked out trying ADOM, which doesn't have much :P
Ask not!
Ask!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 04:21:02 am »

I get a lot of time killing out of Tower. There is a lot I havent quite got my head around yet, but under the surface theres a lot of complexity. The graphical approach to ASCII is also kind of cool.
This is a blank sig.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 04:26:04 am »

*checks Tower website.* *checks Tower manual* *violent cursing*

That is one of the most horrific manuals I have ever seen in my life. It... it gives me a headache. Why in the name of the gods would you do something like that?
Ask not!
Ask!

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 05:09:00 am »

I second Dungeons of Dredmore. It's awesome.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 05:11:47 am »

Putting in for DoomRL, too. I also really liked the Aliens RL.
AliensRL is going to be AMAZING when Kornel actually gets around to DOING THE DAMN THING GODDAMN. I still suggest it.

Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup is a really good and fun game. Much better than NetHack and variants, I've heard. Also under active development. (play console, tiles is for losers)
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: [1] 2 3