Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trap Materials  (Read 1298 times)

FirestormXL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trap Materials
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:50:49 pm »

Ok, this has been bugging me since I started DF. Am I the only person who uses the crap outa Serrated GLASS Disks as weapon traps? I mean literally I don't know what it is in my head that says every weapon trap absolutely must be made of the same type of item and material, but Glass serrated disks just infatuate me unlike other types such as steel/silver spike balls, spears, arrows, axe blades....

Thing is, I don't even know is glass is a good material to make serrated glass disks out of, It certainly tends to send arms and legs and oddly enough MANY tusks spinning off into the distance... but do other mats do it better/worse?

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trap Materials
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 06:52:18 pm »

Yeah I used to load up my traps on glass corkscrews but I recall that well armored enemies more or less literally ignored them. Still it was a funny image to think of especially for those gobbos that it did kill successfully.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:59:42 pm »

New product: serrated red glass discs.
Sounds boss.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:55 pm »

IIRC glass gets a random edge value every-time it hits, between 1 and 20k. With Metals maxing their edge out at 10k, this gives the higher potential sharpness than steel.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:17:05 pm »

So mix them to make sure you get at least 10k?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:18:42 pm by killerx243 »

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 07:33:15 pm »

IIRC glass gets a random edge value every-time it hits, between 1 and 20k. With Metals maxing their edge out at 10k, this gives the higher potential sharpness than steel.
Formerly partially true, now completely untrue. In the past, several of glass's material values relevant to weapons were undefined, and so when the game attempted to get those values it just got whatever number happened to be in the memory in that spot at the time. This happened whenever a game was loaded, not whenever a glass weapon attacked, so each attack during a particular load of the game would behave as if glass had the same degree of sharpness. In addition, the values it could be were not limited to the 1-20000 range; glass could theoretically have had a max edge in the millions during some loads.

Now, however, all of glass's material properties are actually set. Their MAX_EDGE is 15000, allowing it to be sharper than most metals but not as sharp as obsidian.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 08:05:39 pm »

Thread from Sept 2011: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=93073.0
Thread from March 2011: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80964.msg2131045#msg2131045

MAX_EDGE isn't as meaningful as the shear values.

According to wiki, glass has [SHEAR_YIELD:33000] [SHEAR_FRACTURE:33000]. This means that it can't penetrate copper armor, but it can cut through non-bone organic material.

Wood < Glass < Copper

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:15:42 pm »

Question - I have a were beast whose hide is resilient to being chopped by masterwork obsidian swords, is this normal? If so werebeasts would make perfect pincushions if only they'd last longer.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 08:36:09 pm »

Question - I have a were beast whose hide is resilient to being chopped by masterwork obsidian swords, is this normal? If so werebeasts would make perfect pincushions if only they'd last longer.

Obsidian swords are bugged: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5346

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:15:52 pm »

Obsidian swords are bugged: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5346
Dammit ive loaded up a lot of traps with them. Grrr.