Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673289 times)

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #3000 on: July 14, 2015, 10:50:25 am »

His Kickstarter profile picture makes me want to punch somebody.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: July 14, 2015, 11:04:25 am »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: July 14, 2015, 11:06:05 am »

Text should read: "Won the lottery. You mad bro?"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3003 on: July 14, 2015, 11:29:49 am »

Pretty sure he's broke now anyway. He was in an article a while back about lottery winners who lost it all or something like that

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: July 14, 2015, 12:33:00 pm »

Scams: The Series Whose Name Rhymes With Yemen Mist Sequence Three or +1 to Privacy Defense Enchanted Routers; things where the creator uses Kickstarter to get a bunch of money and then, whether deliberately or unintentionally, fails to deliver.
If they unintentionally fail, it ain't a scam.  It just means they failed cause they didn't know what they were doing and/or other reasons out of their control.  Don't group the two together.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3005 on: July 14, 2015, 01:20:01 pm »

Agreed, intent matters and an honest effort which fails is not the same as a scam. Our own LD tried and failed to kickstart a game. He wasn't trying to scam people out of anything and (I think) provided refunds when he was able, though he was not obliged to do so.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: July 14, 2015, 01:30:17 pm »

He tried to make a social media site with a bunch of boardgames on it. Not a terrible idea on the surface.

You missed the fact that it's actually a Thing.

https://www.mylifebook.me

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3007 on: July 14, 2015, 01:34:36 pm »

He tried to make a social media site with a bunch of boardgames on it. Not a terrible idea on the surface.

You missed the fact that it's actually a Thing.

https://www.mylifebook.me
Neat, I guess. I was talking about the failed kickstarter though. Didn't realize they went ahead and made it.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: July 14, 2015, 03:06:37 pm »

Scams: The Series Whose Name Rhymes With Yemen Mist Sequence Three or +1 to Privacy Defense Enchanted Routers; things where the creator uses Kickstarter to get a bunch of money and then, whether deliberately or unintentionally, fails to deliver.
If they unintentionally fail, it ain't a scam.  It just means they failed cause they didn't know what they were doing and/or other reasons out of their control.  Don't group the two together.
That's true. However, while it's not always someone's fault that their Kickstarter project fails, I still think there's a burden on the creator to plan out beforehand what they'll do if Kickstarter finances aren't enough to finish the project. Find money elsewhere, create the product in such a way that it can be released unfinished or passed off to someone else... anything but get money and not deliver.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: July 14, 2015, 05:12:17 pm »

I was talking about the failed kickstarter though. Didn't realize they went ahead and made it.

Oh sure, I just happened to see the url under the project creator's name and was like "ooookaaay then."
The site, is of course, completely useless to anyone who isn't signed up, thus making any possible value TO sign up invisible and therefore not worth it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: July 14, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »

Yeah, that immediately struck me too. No ads huh? Is that why you put the whole site behind an account wall?

Interacting with the page is one thing. But even seeing it to know if you'd want to sign up in the first place? Design 101.

Give you a bigger data point and my email address just for the right to see what it looks like? Mmmmmm all my nope. That's how you end up getting spammed.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: July 14, 2015, 05:42:34 pm »

Or a bunch of accounts using Mailinator.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: July 14, 2015, 05:47:17 pm »

Their site looks fancier than before.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: July 14, 2015, 05:48:22 pm »

Or 10 Minute Mail. Meh. Even that seems like too much work to effectively have them pitch something to me.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: July 14, 2015, 05:56:27 pm »

Their site looks fancier than before.
Indeed

Or 10 Minute Mail. Meh. Even that seems like too much work to effectively have them pitch something to me.
Oh definitely.  I only use it when there's something I know I'm interested in, but don't want to give out my email.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 213