Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672944 times)

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2775 on: September 17, 2014, 07:57:14 am »

I've been thinking about what happens to forum based roleplaying,it might be interesting to have a forum dedicated specifically to roleplaying, where the gamemaster has a host of options to use the forum itself to keep track of stats, maps, inventories etc.
Having some of this stuff automated or at least handled by software would free up the gamemasters time to concentrate on the plot and roleplaying, having a chat applett built into the thread might help keep the game in order too.

Edit: It might be possible to set things up so that the whole game doesn't grind down to a miserable halt in the event of a single person being unavailable for a few days. It's not the end of the world if a single player isn't able to participate in combat, they could return after a few days and add their input to events that have passed, add their own flavour and roleplay etc.
Kickstart it, man.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: September 17, 2014, 08:25:57 am »

Been tried before, search up Kelethor Gaming.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: September 17, 2014, 10:36:08 am »

Been tried before, search up Kelethor Gaming.

Also this.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: September 17, 2014, 01:33:25 pm »

Also this.
Posting this on /tg/, they'll love it. And by that I mean they'll absolutely hate it, but they'll love hating it.

Also there is apparently a lot of roleplaying forums, but they're mostly awful. My sources may not be the most reliable however.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: September 17, 2014, 01:36:32 pm »

Also this.
Posting this on /tg/, they'll love it. And by that I mean they'll absolutely hate it, but they'll love hating it.

Also there is apparently a lot of roleplaying forums, but they're mostly awful. My sources may not be the most reliable however.
Link the thread, please. Even if it's going to be dead soon.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: September 17, 2014, 01:45:40 pm »

Nothing yet sadly, if the thread gets interesting I may get you a link, but it went unseen it seems.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: September 17, 2014, 04:17:23 pm »

The in-game currency is called "Perseval". This is going to be great.

So this is basically a Forum Games and Roleplaying forum with a furry theme, built-in tools so I don't have to switch tabs to my dice site, and random scripted events that affect you no matter what game you're playing? And to compensate for this being an obviously bad mechanic, there is an overly detailed opt-out system so you can decide exactly how much you want to opt out of them.

Also I like how his example "full immersion" event is a big war between nations where your character gets drafted. If I'm interpreting this correctly, I could be playing a forum game with a few people, and between turns my character gets drafted and fights a war and gets sent back and I get summaries of all the events that happened. That's definitely immersive.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: September 17, 2014, 04:23:28 pm »

Also I like how his example "full immersion" event is a big war between nations where your character gets drafted. If I'm interpreting this correctly, I could be playing a forum game with a few people, and between turns my character gets drafted and fights a war and gets sent back and I get summaries of all the events that happened. That's definitely immersive.

...something like that, I haven't figured out how it would be any better than another forum RP system I've seen.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: September 17, 2014, 04:32:48 pm »

That's not a PbP made into a videogame. That's a MUSH. They are basically making a MUSH. MUSHes are MUDs (Multiplayer text adventures). It's like a chat room roleplay but in the guise of a text adventure. It's not uncommon, nor difficult. Hell, I even played a MUSH that is basically the same as Admoxin. Latitude, which was entirely dead when I showed up.

They need ten grand for a project most coders could do with just a server and minimal expense.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: September 17, 2014, 05:11:16 pm »

That's not a PbP made into a videogame. That's a MUSH. They are basically making a MUSH. MUSHes are MUDs (Multiplayer text adventures). It's like a chat room roleplay but in the guise of a text adventure. It's not uncommon, nor difficult. Hell, I even played a MUSH that is basically the same as Admoxin. Latitude, which was entirely dead when I showed up.

They need ten grand for a project most coders could do with just a server and minimal expense.
But were any of those furry themed?

Probably yes.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: September 17, 2014, 05:12:17 pm »

Latitude was furry themed. I was apparently the last person to be informed of this. Also, the last person to be informed Latitude was completely dead.

Can you imagine how embarrassing it is to be late to a party you didn't even want to go to?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2786 on: September 17, 2014, 05:50:21 pm »

Think how bad I feel every time I find a nice MUD and it turns out to be human themed.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: September 17, 2014, 06:37:14 pm »

I spent a really long night (It actually seems like a year in retrospect) looking for quality non-medieval multiplayer browser games. They don't exist. I can sympathize with your plight.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: September 17, 2014, 07:17:10 pm »

I spent a really long night (It actually seems like a year in retrospect) looking for quality non-medieval multiplayer browser games. They don't exist. I can sympathize with your plight.
Really? I know there's at least a few RTS type ones that are set in modern or near future.
In my memory was freesky online that I am still salty about the takedown of.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: September 17, 2014, 07:29:01 pm »

I've been Admin'ing and making mu*s for 10 years. Currently making one based on the Dresden Files and SCP as my personal project and helping with a few others. I was even getting paid for it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 213