Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672861 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2730 on: September 01, 2014, 10:23:37 pm »

It's not a 1 to 10 scale of "commonality" it's a 1 to 10 scale of "stupidity" :P

Just because it's high on the stupid end of the spectrum doesn't mean it's not common.  Remember:

Quote from: Robert A. Heinlein
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: September 02, 2014, 07:36:02 am »

Yeah, I've never seen an idea guy with an actual good idea.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: September 02, 2014, 08:29:12 am »

And then horrendously stupid reward tiers.  Seriously, read their $1000 pledge level aloud without laughing or confusing someone.
What's wrong with a $500 coffee mug?
Edit: Back in school we called this game "red rover" ,same rules, generally we tackled rather than tagged.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:33:02 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: September 02, 2014, 09:54:22 am »

I say if you want to be the idea guy, you must also try to pick up ideas which are simple in rules but complex in results.

Like gravity. Oh wait, that already exists in real life *facepalm*
._.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: September 02, 2014, 10:44:02 am »

I want to learn how to develop for phones and make that game just to spite that guy. Liam Neeson ain't gonna do shit.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: September 02, 2014, 03:39:54 pm »

Nothing wrong with idea guys if they pick up the slack elsewhere. A software project is more than just the code. Question is, does this particular kickstarter imbue me with confidence that the project lead will be able to handle everything sans the code and get a coder or a team of coders on board to do the coding?

Not really, no.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: September 02, 2014, 03:46:00 pm »

Here is a way to be the idea guy and inspire confidence on handling stuff that isn't coding.
-Be able to do at least half-decent graphics.
-Know what paperwork you'll need to fill out.
-Know how to fill out said paperwork.

For example, if that money was for, let's say, hiring an accountant + setup costs + startup costs + license for some graphic/picture/whatever editor/maker/whatever + paying the coders then sure, I can actually see him needing that much. But...
Is any of that mentioned in the Kickstarter.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2737 on: September 02, 2014, 03:48:09 pm »

Nup.

Nothing wrong with idea guys if they pick up the slack elsewhere. A software project is more than just the code. Question is, does this particular kickstarter imbue me with confidence that the project lead will be able to handle everything sans the code and get a coder or a team of coders on board to do the coding?

Not really, no.
Yeah, IMO there's nothing inherently wrong with this person's role/goal, but this particular guy clearly has no idea what the hell he's doing. Don't you normally recruit a team then ask for backing? Not that this is the sort of thing you'd need a whole team of coders to do. Maybe I should go program this for him and take all his money.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: September 02, 2014, 03:57:59 pm »

I say if you want to be the idea guy, you must also try to pick up ideas which are simple in rules but complex in results.

The easiest way to do this is to mix a lot of simple things in interesting ways. Does make balance harder tho.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: September 02, 2014, 04:41:10 pm »

The easiest way to do this is to mix a lot of simple things in interesting ways. Does make balance harder tho.
You can always try using a rubber band feedback on a few key parameters you want to keep in check.

Or make the game single-player only. Master of Magic did that, it was unbalanced as hell, people still considered it the best fantasy strategy ever made.
._.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: September 04, 2014, 01:55:41 pm »

I feel like the idea guy is a shitty version of the designer.  Like if you understand game design and can articulate a clear design philosophy, figure out balance and conceptualize mechanics and shit, make sure the various parts of the game are coming together according to the central idea, etc. you can probably get away with doing those things semi-exclusively.

That's hard work though and most idea guys are allergic to that part of the project.  The work part.  Throwing everything you want to see in a video game together in a mash isn't design.  And you'd probably need some serious clout to assume a role like that professionally, clout you'd get serving in more roles than just that.
Shoes...

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: September 04, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »

Bullrush is "I want to make someone else's game, except I'm going to pay another someone else to make it."  And then horrendously stupid reward tiers.  Seriously, read their $1000 pledge level aloud without laughing or confusing someone.
Difference between $500 and $1000 tiers: a coffee mug. That's some value.

EDIT: 'Twas mentioned already. Oh well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:16:28 pm by anzki4 »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: September 04, 2014, 06:42:44 pm »

Bullrush is "I want to make someone else's game, except I'm going to pay another someone else to make it."  And then horrendously stupid reward tiers.  Seriously, read their $1000 pledge level aloud without laughing or confusing someone.

'twas my point.  Most Kickstarters have the mug at like the $50 or $100 level.  $1000 is like "all of the things and I'll fly you out to me and buy you lunch."

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #2743 on: September 04, 2014, 07:00:59 pm »

'twas my point.  Most Kickstarters have the mug at like the $50 or $100 level.  $1000 is like "all of the things and I'll fly you out to me and buy you lunch."

Obviously, with the recent potato salad thing, maybe just selling lunch with yourself is the best idea for kickstarters.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: September 04, 2014, 07:06:53 pm »

Ironic Kickstarters. Sigh. The hipsters of Kickstarter projects.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 213