Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672846 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2700 on: August 15, 2014, 04:42:49 am »

He doesn't seem to be kickstartering a streaming site, just a new rig for himself.
Unless he somehow thinks that hosting a site on his personal computer is a good idea.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2701 on: August 15, 2014, 12:38:26 pm »

Retsupurae has a playlist of "Kickstarter Nonstarters" which is relevant to this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo4M1tlpv9rtbiNA41CWgwIJZSTjozVyp

I thought of it because one of them is basically the same thing as the above, a guy who wants money to buy gaming equipment to stream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLo4M1tlpv9rtbiNA41CWgwIJZSTjozVyp&v=TpYkKuKGLbw

The best part was the $200 reward:  "Have your face as a watermark during gameplay for the entirety of my streaming career.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2702 on: August 15, 2014, 12:47:19 pm »

I sure do love watching a screen full of faces with something that vaguely looks like CoD going on in the background.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2703 on: August 15, 2014, 02:19:14 pm »

Kickstarter: Ask other people to give you money, to live your dream of not having a real job.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2704 on: August 15, 2014, 02:30:58 pm »

Kickstarter: Ask other people to give you money, to live your dream of not having a real job.
I'd say streaming for a living is a real job, just like comedians, actors and other kinds of entertainment. Asking for money to start it is about as scummy as you can get though.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2705 on: August 15, 2014, 02:49:03 pm »

Mainly because it's such a oversaturated field with a tiny barrier to entry...  There's no need to crowd-source fresh faces in.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2706 on: August 15, 2014, 02:58:44 pm »

I'd say streaming for a living is a real job, just like comedians, actors and other kinds of entertainment. Asking for money to start it is about as scummy as you can get though.

I disagree, but it's just a personal opinion. So many people think being a streamer is something to aspire to now. Lots of kids once imagined themselves as astronauts or firemen or, you know, something that took skill. Now because of the cult of youtube personalities we live in, lots of people aspire to getting paid to play a game and have people listen to them, and there is zero barrier to entry. (Other than being broke, not actually working for a living and needing people to give you money up front so you can live your dream of recording yourself and begging for likes and ad dollars, and the fact there are tens of thousand of similarly unskilled dreamers out there to compete against.) A whole generation of squeaky-voiced kids growing up trying to brand their online handle.

I'm biased though. I generally find LPs unwatchable, short of the occasional short clip or a guy with a hilarious Swedish accent. I've never followed or liked a Youtube or Twitch page. About the only person I watch even semi-consistently while they babble about video games is Yahtzee, and if his reviews took the form of him playing a game live and jabbering about it, I probably wouldn't ever watch them either.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2707 on: August 15, 2014, 03:03:48 pm »

Oh no, kids might have career goals that are enjoyable and achievable. How dare they.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2708 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:30 pm »

Oh no, kids might have career goals that are enjoyable and achievable. How dare they.

Its ok.  Soon, Humans Need Not Apply.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2709 on: August 15, 2014, 03:30:53 pm »

Just wait until the "youtube personality" becomes the new media profession, and universities start training people to be youtube personalities.
._.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2710 on: August 15, 2014, 03:39:34 pm »

Except it's not just kids. It's young adults and adults as well. It's not that I'm against people having a fun job. But it's a depressing trend to me, considering we're the lowest ranked among post-industrial nations for math and science, and it seems like the #1 thing we still do best is entertainment. Anyways, this is probably better saved for another thread.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2711 on: August 15, 2014, 05:06:46 pm »

Honestly, it's no different from the webcomic scene 10 years ago. And with about as many breakthroughs who get big for a time. And with some of those people using it to enter more 'professional' areas as a follow-up. Hmm, actually there a lot of parallels...

But I don't know of that many kids who actually aspire to be a streamer professionally. Oddly enough, it seems the LPers and the like who actually are fun and interesting tend to start off just seeing it as a hobby, something to do and if they get money and attention or to practice their editing and film making skills hey even better. Probably something to do with them not coming across as desperate attention whores as much xD

Asking for money to do it via kickstarter is just silly though. We have Patreon for that :) Wonder how many "when patreon goes wrong" we can find...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:25:26 pm by MorleyDev »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2712 on: August 15, 2014, 06:37:43 pm »

Asking for money to do it via kickstarter is just silly though. We have Patreon for that :) Wonder how many "when patreon goes wrong" we can find...

I'm sure you could find a few, though since Patreon is for content that's ongoing, presumably anyone paying a creator is actually enjoying the thing being made.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2713 on: August 15, 2014, 07:12:18 pm »

That doesn't stop anyone from trying to get paid.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2714 on: August 15, 2014, 07:13:46 pm »

Few things do.
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 [181] 182 183 ... 213