Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672747 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2565 on: February 28, 2014, 09:32:02 pm »

I had an epiphany a little bit ago about what you were trying to say, FFS. You were saying that some people use infamy to get notice so that people will listen to what they have to say, and we shouldn't listen to it when people do this. Otherwise other people will be encouraged to become infamous so they can soapbox about what they want to too.

Man that's so much more reasonable than what I initially thought you were saying.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2566 on: February 28, 2014, 09:37:30 pm »

I had an epiphany a little bit ago about what you were trying to say, FFS. You were saying that some people use infamy to get notice so that people will listen to what they have to say, and we shouldn't listen to it when people do this. Otherwise other people will be encouraged to become infamous so they can soapbox about what they want to too.

Man that's so much more reasonable than what I initially thought you were saying.

....was someone's opinion just changed in a positive way on the internet? Sumbitch.....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2567 on: February 28, 2014, 11:18:45 pm »

Yes. Thank you for thinking about it. I come across too strong and often it is difficult to get a point across when doing so.

Unfortunately you are right about investors. Didn't really think about that. Kickstarter is just as susceptible to Bernie Madoff as anything else. It's such a great system, though, and it would be amazing if there were a way to make it slightly more reliable without relying on the wisdom of the moneyed crowds. Hmm...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 11:23:10 pm by freeformschooler »

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2568 on: February 28, 2014, 11:54:30 pm »

I think the Pictures For Sad Children meltdown counts: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/73258510/sad-pictures-for-children/posts/759318

Is there really no discussion thread for that debacle?

Wow, that's pretty insane and I am very looking forward to seeing the conclusion of this from the sidelines.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2569 on: March 01, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

Seems like a genuine mental breakdown, hopefully he'll get help soon.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2570 on: March 01, 2014, 06:29:03 pm »

I've read through her entire post (I'm not sure I'd recommend it) and I'm not sure if it's solely just pressure and other factors getting to her that prompted the post, given how confident she seems that burning the books people bought is a good idea.

In an attempt to summarize what I read: Money is stupid, she shouldn't have to work to survive, and she's going to find a group of people who are willing to pay for everything she needs to survive so she can potter around doing whatever she wants.

Edit: Had no idea of the pronoun change. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:24:04 pm by Cheeetar »
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2571 on: March 01, 2014, 06:32:52 pm »

What is it?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2572 on: March 01, 2014, 07:03:52 pm »

Yeah. Can't really blame him for it either. By the looks of it, he miscalculated costs at the start and ended up losing much more than he gained. Thus defeating the point of all the stress and effort put into the entire thing, leaving him basically broke and with a bad reputation regardless. So if you started out on the edge, that would certainly tip you right over it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2573 on: March 01, 2014, 07:09:41 pm »

Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2574 on: March 02, 2014, 12:28:57 pm »

I've read through his entire post (I'm not sure I'd recommend it) and I'm not sure if it's solely just pressure and other factors getting to him that prompted the post, given how confident he seems that burning the books people bought is a good idea.

In an attempt to summarize what I read: Money is stupid, he shouldn't have to work to survive, and he's going to find a group of people who are willing to pay for everything he needs to survive so he can potter around doing whatever he wants.

And once she finds such a group of people, she intends to "transfer the relationships" to someone else.  Someone else will get the free lunches instead.  That's one reason I'm pretty sure she's suicidal, or at least making a cry for help.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2575 on: March 02, 2014, 06:55:20 pm »

I love how 90% of that giant post has nothing to do with what went wrong and what he's doing.

So how did the whole magic quantum foam infinite energy device turn out?

Check
http://hopegirl2012.wordpress.com/

And no, that really is their URL.
I choose to believe that the QEG thing and the weird conspiracy website are part of an ARG for an upcoming RPG-FPS from either Bioware or a Zenimax subsidiary :P
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2576 on: March 02, 2014, 06:57:05 pm »

One that isn't Bethesda, of course, since Bethesda doesn't know how to subtlety.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2577 on: March 02, 2014, 07:03:53 pm »

One that isn't Bethesda, of course, since Bethesda doesn't know how to subtlety.
Maybe it is. Maybe the Dwemer wiped themselves out trying to make the QEG, and The Elder Scrolls VI: Skydaggerblivimorrowrena centers around your quest to complete their work.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2578 on: March 02, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »

Maybe it is. Maybe the Dwemer wiped themselves out trying to make the QEG, and The Elder Scrolls VI: Skydaggerblivimorrowrena centers around your quest to complete their work.

We know exactly how and why they disappeared, silly! It was answered outright in Morrowind!

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2579 on: March 02, 2014, 08:55:48 pm »

We know exactly how and why they disappeared, silly! It was answered outright in Morrowind!
That was all Dagoth Ur feeding you lies.
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 [172] 173 174 ... 213