Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672631 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2355 on: July 03, 2013, 01:08:58 pm »

Yes, one portion of the statement that implies you may not be seeking full funding through Kickstarter completely proves that all projects are expected to get funding outside of Kickstarter at some point.

Frowny face indeed.

Well, obviously you're just splitting hairs at this point so I'm done here.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: July 03, 2013, 01:13:42 pm »

be as transparent as you can. Backers will appreciate it.

I think that sums things up nicely.

Anyone have any complaints about Doublefine not being transparent enough?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: July 03, 2013, 01:20:07 pm »

I'd like a cost break down. That's not exactly reasonable, but it's what a publisher would have asked for, long by now.

They've at least talked about their situation, which is better than nothing. So yes, they've been "transparent." Although it's easy to say what you need to, how you need to, when you don't actually have to back that up with data.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: July 04, 2013, 10:16:04 pm »

Yes, making games are hard. That doesn't excuse blatant overspending, which Tim Schafer is very much known for. He has a history of going over budget, missing milestones, and becoming too ambitious with his projects.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: July 04, 2013, 10:20:53 pm »

Yes, making games are hard. That doesn't excuse blatant overspending, which Tim Schafer is very much known for. He has a history of going over budget, missing milestones, and becoming too ambitious with his projects.

Then they can't get pissed that that what happen here.

Lots of folks went fuckin crazy over this game because of his name. They paid for the whole package.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:35:12 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: July 04, 2013, 10:29:38 pm »

Well, they are getting the whole package, just not all of it at the same time....  I guess that is a reason to be pissed?  Maybe?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: July 04, 2013, 11:48:59 pm »

To me, it just further proves that many kickstarter backers simply don't know much about a project other than what the person behind it told them. It's not going to be scams that kill Kickstarter, but the absolute incompetence and ignorance of a majority of the backers. They'll either have something not live up to their expectations, or people will take advantage of them and sell them an overly-hyped and poorly explained product. Same thing happened with the Ouya, and the same thing happened with countless of other of projects. The same will happen with Tim Schafer's newest kickstarter. Now is Schafer purposely taking advantage of people? I don't think so. Is he poorly spending his money, and being very inefficient with his project in general? Yes, probably.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: July 05, 2013, 12:08:18 am »

The Ouya is a very interesting case.

It was more emotionally driven then anything, and when you get your Ouya there this banner that thanks you for believing.

But they told you exactly what it was. An android based home console. And, it just turned out that a smart phone OS and smart phone guts, make a shitty console.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: July 05, 2013, 12:12:16 am »

I thought it was tablet* guts?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: July 05, 2013, 12:13:44 am »

People were told what it was, sure. But despite that, many of the backer's were expecting a console that could run games like Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and DayZ. They were frankly ignorant of technology in general, and the developer's didn't correct them and be honest even though they ran an official poll asking people what they wanted. That's why we're seeing a lot of those backers pissed off now, because they thought they were scammed. The Ouya devs partially acted shady, but I wouldn't say it was a scam. It was simply a bunch of people who knew nothing about consoles, getting themselves too invested into the project to realize their expectations were grossly out of touch with reality.

I thought it was tablet* guts?
It isn't. The system specifications are more similar to a smartphone than a tablet, but then again the gap between those two aren't particularly large in the first place. I'd rank the Ouya somewhere in between those two.
Welcome to Reality.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: July 05, 2013, 12:15:55 am »

Oh, huh. I also thought Ouya was some super beefed up Android. It does make more sense after seeing that thread where someone showed how tiny it was.

Android smartphones are pretty awesome, but maybe not as a TV game console.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: July 05, 2013, 02:56:17 am »

People were told what it was, sure. But despite that, many of the backer's were expecting a console that could run games like Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and DayZ. They were frankly ignorant of technology in general, and the developer's didn't correct them and be honest even though they ran an official poll asking people what they wanted. That's why we're seeing a lot of those backers pissed off now, because they thought they were scammed. The Ouya devs partially acted shady, but I wouldn't say it was a scam. It was simply a bunch of people who knew nothing about consoles, getting themselves too invested into the project to realize their expectations were grossly out of touch with reality.

Yea the Devs and Kickstarter runners did not really bother at all to reign in the idea that this thing will be running modern/next gen console/pc games. Which, is kinda of shady. 

But they really did hammer on, how this was going to to TEAR DOWN THE MAN, and stop EVIL PUBLISHERS and all the games would be FREE (except not) and yea, Emulators are awesome (until we stop saying that and stop officially supporting them), and its going to be your Console to do whatever!

And whats really stopping gaming is the barrier to entry, because everyone knows when you collapse the barrier to entry quality eventually goes up. Just look at the newgrounds portal for all the pending games. THey're all awesome. Promise.

---
Also we've never designed any hardware really, so obviously this free us from the evil of industry design and to be truly free! The controller is gonna be the stradivarius of controllers (I shit you know, they said this.) But because this is /your/ console that /you/ believe in, you can use whatever controller you want. Its cool.
----

And the only folks that seem to be excited by the Ouya are the folks that drank the Ouya kool aid. When folks started to get their Ouya, on /r/ouya and started to report problems. It was really strange, they assumed every thing else was wrong, before the ouya.

They checked their TV, their cable box, took it to other tvs, and everything assuming that it couldnt be the ouya being just totally Meh.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: July 05, 2013, 03:00:10 am »

Oh, huh. I also thought Ouya was some super beefed up Android. It does make more sense after seeing that thread where someone showed how tiny it was.

Android smartphones are pretty awesome, but maybe not as a TV game console.
It claimed it'd have "optimized graphics", and it runs a lot of games fine (Assuming that the devs who ported a game intended for a phone to a big-screen experience well, many ports are rather poorly done) but if you throw in any kind of semi-complex 3D graphics the console tends to drop down below 30 FPS frequently.

I could go on a gigantic rant about the OUYA like I usually do, but all you need to know is that the system specifications are pretty much the same as most mid to high end smartphones.
Welcome to Reality.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: July 05, 2013, 08:41:51 am »

Then they can't get pissed that that what happen here.

Quite.

I mean, I had no knowledge of how Schafer ran projects in the past, but I do know about software development, so I'm neither surprised nor insulted.

(I have to build a clone of Google Hangouts by next Thrusday.  I had this past Wednesday for a planning meeting and then I'm out of town for the weekend, leaving two days of development time.  Yeah.)
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 213