Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672651 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2325 on: July 02, 2013, 10:36:12 pm »

http://kotaku.com/somehow-tim-schafers-adventure-kickstarter-needs-more-652014092

Spoiler: Facepalm (click to show/hide)

Aaaannnddd it begins.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: July 03, 2013, 01:40:35 am »

So, what you're saying that kickstarter projects are magically protected against going over budget?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: July 03, 2013, 01:43:46 am »

Tim Schafer got 3.3 MILLION DOLLARS FOR HIS ADVENTURE GAME. 3.3 MILLION DOLLARS.

That's a lot of money, and the fact that he went over-budget for this with a POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE GAME shows that he either is spending this poorly, or just wants more money.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: July 03, 2013, 01:52:19 am »

FYI, the original kickstarter goal was 400 000. They were funded 8 times over.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: July 03, 2013, 01:57:47 am »

Tim Schafer got 3.3 MILLION DOLLARS FOR HIS ADVENTURE GAME. 3.3 MILLION DOLLARS.

That's a lot of money, and the fact that he went over-budget for this with a POINT AND CLICK ADVENTURE GAME shows that he either is spending this poorly, or just wants more money.

He raised 3.3m but he doesnt have 3.3 for the game. There the kickstarter fee, the cost for the rewards and taxes. He still got more then what he was originally asking for, but as far as video game budget goes, hes gotta take a mad piss and can barely afford the pot to do it in.

And?

He asked for 400k for a game with X feature set.

He got wai moar money then that, and expanded that feature list.

So the original starting amount, is arguably a none-issue, as he not making that 400k game anymore. Hes attempting to make this much more expanded 3.3m game.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: July 03, 2013, 09:44:32 am »

All I can say to this is 'le sigh'.  Physical rewards/fees probably take quite a chunk of change... (Why I personally rather the kickstarters not offer them or at least ask for way more before handing em out.)  And feature bloat 'cause I got so much monies, I don't know what to do with it... so lets do everything'.
Selling it off early with free updates/expansions is a good alternative to asking for more money at least.  So the solution to the problem ain't bad at all.
Well, I didn't back this anyways, cause not as interested in adventure games.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: July 03, 2013, 10:00:31 am »

He raised 3.3m but he doesnt have 3.3 for the game. There the kickstarter fee, the cost for the rewards and taxes. He still got more then what he was originally asking for, but as far as video game budget goes, hes gotta take a mad piss and can barely afford the pot to do it in.

And?

He asked for 400k for a game with X feature set.

He got wai moar money then that, and expanded that feature list.

So the original starting amount, is arguably a none-issue, as he not making that 400k game anymore. Hes attempting to make this much more expanded 3.3m game.

Which doesn't cost 3.3 million. By his own numbers, roughly 6 million.

If the head of a studio can't budget himself for 3.3 million, and KNOWINGLY GOES OVER, and then asks for more money, I'd call that a problem.

Seriously, you overfund 8x, go insane on features, don't exercise any of the restraint knowing you have a limited budget....and it's all hunky dorey because you're going to release your game in stages through a paid alpha?

This is basically what I've been waiting for since the first $1 million kickstarter. Guys get way more funding than they asked for, throw caution to the wind, expand their teams, start dreaming of the $20 million dollar game they would have made with publisher monies, and then end up needing far more money than they earned. And they plow ahead because they know the internet is just going to throw more money at them.

It's about accountability in my mind. It's the same routine with publishers, just half the money.

"So how are things going Tim?"

"Well, we're about 2 years off schedule. We're going to need another cash infusion."

"*Sigh* for how much?"

"Not sure. How much you got?"

Except now it's done with smiles and snark (Thanks for putting into the "tip jar?" Nice, ass.)

Basically, it's undercutting the premise that Kickstarter will actually get you anything when it comes to projects like this, because they dream bigger than their funding allows. Why would I back a Kickstarter knowing the game will have to end up on Early Access to have a prayer of making release?

And Tim even basically said "without more money, I'd have to scrap the game I sold you guys on Kickstarter." I mean, he can't even put up Part 1 of his game on $3.3 million. Think about that, in comparison to alllll the other projects that have released their Kickstarter titles.

How is that not a problem? How does terrible business management like that not send up red flags? Oh right. He's Tim Schafer. The rules don't apply to him. Yet people will excoriate an unknown developer for asking for $10,000 more than they personally think the project is worth.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:18:19 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: July 03, 2013, 10:43:10 am »

Nice, I paid for a 400k game and I'm getting a $6 million game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: July 03, 2013, 10:47:03 am »

Or you're getting a $1 million dollar game with $5 million worth of overhead.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: July 03, 2013, 10:47:57 am »

I didn't back the project because I thought it would be well managed.

I backed it because I thought the courage to attempt a style of game that hasn't been seen outside the Flash (non-existent budget, small/one-man team, indie, short, generally poor) gaming scene was worth getting behind.

I loved games like Myst, Dig, King's Quest (even if I was ultimately terrible at them).  Heck, I went out and bought The Longest Journey not that long ago and put in a near-continuous 17 hours watching every, every cut scene.  Despite the low resolution graphics, the voice acting was superb, the story engaging, the scenery amazing, and the characters memorable.  I figured out one reveal ages before it happened, but I also suspected that it was intended to be obvious to the players...as a distraction from the real twist.

I backed Doublefine on the expectation that at some point, eventually, I'll have a game to play that will be different.  NOT on the expectation that it would be perfect, complete, or on time.

Hell, I'm barely even reading the updates they put out, I'm not on the forums, and I'm only tangentially engaged in what's going on.  I would like to be surprised at the result rather than disappointed.

Ok, yeah, they overscoped and are now going to be overbudget, but they're doing the right thing with what they have, what they want, and what they know that we--as the fans--would want.  And what we want is to not have 25% of a game.  They found a happy medium whereby they put out what they can, garner more sales, and use those sales to fund further production.  It's no different than expanded content DLC...that comes free at a later date.

Kickstarter got the project off the ground and pushed initial funding.

Kickstarter did exactly what it was designed to do.

This is not a failure.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: July 03, 2013, 10:53:02 am »

I backed it because I thought the courage to attempt a style of game that hasn't been seen outside Flash (non-existent budget, small/one-man team, indie, short, generally poor) gaming scene was worth getting behind.

You mean like Shadowgate, another Point 'n click adventure game on Kickstarter being made by professional developers, that is on track at a fraction of Schafer's budget? How about Hero-U, another p 'n click game that also doesn't require millions to get made?

And what we want is to not have 25% of a game.  They found a happy medium whereby they put out what they can, garner more sales, and use those sales to fund further production.  It's no different than expanded content DLC...that comes free at a later date.

It's not free though. You may not have paid extra but to reach the game that was promised on Kickstarter, someone else has to foot the bill for it, for it to become a reality. And it's not "fund further production." It's "finish the game we promised." This isn't additional funding, it's necessary funding.

Kickstarter got the project off the ground and pushed initial funding.

Kickstarter did exactly what it was designed to do.

This is not a failure.

Really? I didn't think the point of Kickstarter was to back so people could have a chance to find find even more funding. I thought the point of Kickstarter was you back to get a product, and you get it, without needing even more 3rd party funding, paid alphas and more hoops.

If a product that succeeded on Kickstarter can't succeed just on Kickstarter, I'd call that a failure. Maybe not of Kickstarter. But definitely of the people that put their project on there.

But I guess that doesn't really matter to backers as long as the thing they paid for happens, at some point, by some means. Never mind the message this sends to developers, or the culture it's creating on Kickstarter. That it's ok to make a king's ransom and still ask for more money, since there's no one watching the hen house.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 11:06:18 am by nenjin »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: July 03, 2013, 10:53:51 am »

Draco, I agree 100% and couldn't have said it better.

The funniest thing, there are already people on this thread condemning projects for raising 10x times the asked amount but not delivering 10x the product (basically pocketing the rest as profit).
Now, we have someone who RAGES because a project got more money and decided to spend it all, and maybe got a little too excited and overspent.

Even tho they have been very transparent, and declared the reason they're not asking for more Kickstarter money OR going with a traditional publisher is because of the promise they made when starting the project, and came with a viable alternative instead.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:55:34 am by Sergius »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: July 03, 2013, 10:56:50 am »

Draco, I agree 100% and couldn't have said it better.

The funniest thing, there are already people on this thread condemning projects for raising 10x times the asked amount but not delivering 10x the product (basically pocketing the rest as profit).
Now, we have someone who RAGES because a project got more money and decided to spend it all, and maybe got a little too excited and overspent.

Even tho they have been very transparent, and declared the reason they're not asking for more Kickstarter money OR going with a traditional publisher is because of the promise they made when starting the project, and came with a viable alternative instead.

Can you point me to their financial statements, or the financials of other Kickstarters, to prove this point? No, you can't. No one can, and that's the freaking point. Everything has to be taken on faith, or at the very least, the finished product. So pardon me if I don't just take someone word that they spent $3.3 million on purely game things.

And seriously. More than $3 million for a point and click adventure game? I eagerly await the final product so I can see exactly what that kind of money buys.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 10:59:08 am by nenjin »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: July 03, 2013, 10:58:08 am »

Prove what? Do you want to audit them?

Go ahead by all means. While you're at it, audit McDonalds to prove that that extra $0.50 you paid really went to purchase extra bacon.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: July 03, 2013, 11:02:21 am »

Prove what? Do you want to audit them?

Frankly, I'd love an audit of every Kickstarter I back. And I'd love audits of every Kickstarter than exceeds funding by 100%. A way cut through all the smiley, warm fuzzy BS that developers can say now that they're not beholden to a contract.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 213