Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672782 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2160 on: January 30, 2013, 09:15:21 pm »

I really want the Uppercup so I can walk around and pretend I'm serious about having it.

I can't imagine that with the cup full of liquid you'd actually be able to hold it...but yes.  Having one and pretending to be the hipster would be...hip.

Uppercup is a joke project though. Of course that didn't stop the mainstream media from reporting it as true.

Flexible funding makes that a little sinister.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: January 31, 2013, 11:11:05 am »

Alright, I have one here that is pre-kickstarter. But this one... This is goddamn ambitious. I debated where to put this ( When KS goes right or wrong) but I decided here due to the fact it could go very wrong, very fast. http://universeprojects.blogspot.com.au/?m=0
Watch the YouTube video too, and read the above page. It certainly seems achievable and realistic!
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:10 am »

"We're going to redefine video games and create an entirely new genre...."

Uh-huh. That reminds me of Your World with about 50% more polish in presentation, and the exact same level of ambiguity and incompleteness of the ideas.

"It's like, a huge world right? And you can like, make cities or whole kingdoms. And you can like, fight other people. We want it to take a year to walk across the game space. Oh, and like, colonizing other worlds, 'n stuff."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: January 31, 2013, 11:41:18 am »

im sure it's been posted before. yeah, there's no way that could possibly go right.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: January 31, 2013, 11:51:10 am »

http://universeprojects.blogspot.com.au/?m=0

Mmm, search feature... so tasty...

NEW RULE:
Search the thread for the project title and URL before posting.  We have 151 pages in this thread, it's going to be impossible to expect people to read them all, but searching takes 0.15 seconds.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: January 31, 2013, 11:53:15 am »

There's no harm in something being posted twice.
Love, scriver~

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: January 31, 2013, 11:54:58 am »

Oh alright then, sorry.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: January 31, 2013, 11:55:04 am »

Other than some people get all, "Meh, was posted" and then other people get upset at the dismissive response.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: January 31, 2013, 12:05:49 pm »

Not EVERY project on that sight seems completely stupid.

But this may just be due to my taste for niche documentaries. I would totally watch the documentary about My Little Pony convention musicians. I didn't even know MLP conventions were a thing! And convention documentaries are always either enjoyable or hilariously awful.

Not that I'll actually be funding it or anything...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: January 31, 2013, 01:13:30 pm »

This is the third time though. :D

I did get an email from TUP which said that another video would be getting put up soon. It's been kind of hard to make fun of their project when there hasn't been anything to go on, but hopefully that situation should improve.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: January 31, 2013, 01:36:52 pm »

Not EVERY project on that sight seems completely stupid.

But this may just be due to my taste for niche documentaries. I would totally watch the documentary about My Little Pony convention musicians. I didn't even know MLP conventions were a thing! And convention documentaries are always either enjoyable or hilariously awful.

Not that I'll actually be funding it or anything...
There was one in Belgium lately... I remember seeing something about MLP at the end of the local magazine I always read because it's pretty good. The last few pages always have conventions/expos/etc on them.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: January 31, 2013, 01:41:10 pm »

Alright, I have one here that is pre-kickstarter. But this one... This is goddamn ambitious. I debated where to put this ( When KS goes right or wrong) but I decided here due to the fact it could go very wrong, very fast. http://universeprojects.blogspot.com.au/?m=0
Watch the YouTube video too, and read the above page. It certainly seems achievable and realistic!

Yeah, that one is fucking stupid. Let me cross-post from what I said in the MSPA forum thread:

This is a stupid god damned idea.

It sounds like it's be a more boring EVE online with 500 times more processing power required.

The fact that they call it "most ambitious" should tell you something. It's not going to happen. This is easily harder to program as described than SBURB, if that gives you a sense of scale. Sburb at least has a bunch of ordinary game mechanics. This is promising impossibilities.

By harder than Sburb, I mean harder than Sburb if you include a fully-featured deterministic timeline that includes highly detailed AI for each individual consort, dersite, prospitian etc. This is seriously not going to go anywhere.

If it does go somewhere, color me surprised, we're officially living in the god damned science fiction future.

People say alchemization (putting two things together to make a new thing related to both) would be hard to program; this is promising that with everything.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: January 31, 2013, 01:56:43 pm »

If it does go somewhere, color me surprised, we're officially living in the god damned science fiction future.

If they succeed, then it's evidence supporting the fact that we, ourselves, are simulations running on a much grander computer.

http://www.simulation-argument.com/matrix.html

Because it would mean that at least one of the following is true:

(1) The chances that a species at our current level of development can avoid going extinct before becoming technologically mature is negligibly small

(2) Almost no technologically mature civilisations are interested in running computer simulations of minds like ours

(3) You are almost certainly in a simulation.

1) is saying that no civilizations ever develop the technology to run universe simulations (because if it cannot be done, then we can't be simulated beings).
2) is saying that no civilization would want to.  If even a single civ decides to do it, and has the processing power to do so, then the number of simulated beings outnumbers the real ones by powers of 10 (that is, 1 million people running the sim 100 times each would cause 100,000,000,000,000,000 more "people" to be created).
3) if the first two are not both false, then this is true and probability states that we don't really exist (probably).

((Protip: the developers of TUP are promising to include every game ever created + stuff.  This would include TUP.*  Which means that TUP would be capable of simulating itself to n layers in faster than real time meaning that the game would need to intentionally slow itself down so we can interact with it at all, which would imply infinite computing power))

*If TUP can simulate running a modern computer + stuff on a modern computer (stated goal**), then that simulated computer should be capable of simulating a computer + stuff.  Which could then simulate another computer....which essentially implies infinite computing power.

**Ok they haven't explicitly stated that TUP will be able to simulate a computer.  But I guarantee that simulating a single 32 bit computer would be easier than simulating all of space in real time.  Which is a stated goal.

==Side note==
The Infinity Computer.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:08:29 pm by Draco18s »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: February 03, 2013, 06:29:15 pm »

Off-topic, scholars from the University of Washington believes that it is possible to test the hypothesis that this world is a simulation without needing to simulate a full-fledged 32-bit computer:

With current limitations and trends in computing, it will be decades before researchers will be able to run even primitive simulations of the universe. But the UW team has suggested tests that can be performed now, or in the near future, that are sensitive to constraints imposed on future simulations by limited resources.

Currently, supercomputers using a technique called lattice quantum chromodynamics and starting from the fundamental physical laws that govern the universe can simulate only a very small portion of the universe, on the scale of one 100-trillionth of a meter, a little larger than the nucleus of an atom, said Martin Savage, a UW physics professor.

Eventually, more powerful simulations will be able to model on the scale of a molecule, then a cell and even a human being. But it will take many generations of growth in computing power to be able to simulate a large enough chunk of the universe to understand the constraints on physical processes that would indicate we are living in a computer model.

However, Savage said, there are signatures of resource constraints in present-day simulations that are likely to exist as well in simulations in the distant future, including the imprint of an underlying lattice if one is used to model the space-time continuum.

The supercomputers performing lattice quantum chromodynamics calculations essentially divide space-time into a four-dimensional grid. That allows researchers to examine what is called the strong force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature and the one that binds subatomic particles called quarks and gluons together into neutrons and protons at the core of atoms.

“If you make the simulations big enough, something like our universe should emerge,” Savage said. Then it would be a matter of looking for a “signature” in our universe that has an analog in the current small-scale simulations.
Source

Of course, on-topic, if it'll take numerous generations to be able to build a supercomputer to accurately simulate a cell, then TUP is even more ridiculous than Your World.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: February 11, 2013, 11:43:42 am »

Oh hey look another game that is the everything game.

Not a universe in a box, but it IS the game YOU want it to be.  The game is defined by the player's style and responds to their ideas.

And in limitless multiplayer.

Project Awakened is a genre-defying game that lets you answer the question: "Who do you want to be?" For the first time in a modern AAA action game, you will have the opportunity to completely define your dream videogame character, from abilities to aesthetics, all while playing in an action-packed world that responds to your personal playstyle.
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 213