Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672858 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2055 on: January 11, 2013, 10:11:12 am »

From Cult's Kickstarter page:
Quote from: Gary Riley, Grand Cipher of
I wonder... Do we have anyone here who pledged $250 and above who have had any biweekly IM's?
That would go a long way to provide potential proof of credibility on Hagar's part...
If not should we be considering or at least looking into contacting kickstarter about this, and looking into the legality of Hagar's actions? And possibly look into criminal charges of fraud.

Which brings me another question: are these legal threats likely to turn into actual lawsuits, or are they just empty words coming from people who are angry at losing money? On the one hand, the TOS does state that it you cannot provide a backer's rewards, you must give a refund. On the other hand, lawsuits are expensive. They have to justify to a lawyer why should he go through all that effort just to collect $35,000.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: January 11, 2013, 10:35:45 am »

I wonder... Do we have anyone here who pledged $250 and above who have had any biweekly IM's?
That would go a long way to provide potential proof of credibility on Hagar's part...
If not should we be considering or at least looking into contacting kickstarter about this, and looking into the legality of Hagar's actions? And possibly look into criminal charges of fraud.

Which brings me another question: are these legal threats likely to turn into actual lawsuits, or are they just empty words coming from people who are angry at losing money? On the one hand, the TOS does state that it you cannot provide a backer's rewards, you must give a refund. On the other hand, lawsuits are expensive. They have to justify to a lawyer why should he go through all that effort just to collect $35,000.
I think they're as forceful as putting up legal writs on your facebook wall. I also think it serves to show that you shouldnt put your product as a guaranteed part of the rewards. And just toss it in as a bonus. And some how imply that certain reward tiers will get'em.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: January 11, 2013, 10:40:46 am »

Unless one of the people who are angry at losing money is a lawyer who is angry enough to represent this with his/her own otherwise paid time in a class action suit, probably no.

This really injures kickstarter's credibility, and sadly not going to be the last one.

I think they're as forceful as putting up legal writs on your facebook wall. I also think it serves to show that you shouldnt put your product as a guaranteed part of the rewards. And just toss it in as a bonus. And some how imply that certain reward tiers will get'em.

I bet some projects are already doing that. Kind of unavoidable.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: January 11, 2013, 10:49:40 am »

I have no issue with projects I've backed failing (as is undoubtedly going to happen for at least a few), so long as they have genuinely failed and the creator both acknowledges and informs us of this.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: January 11, 2013, 11:01:04 am »

I also think it serves to show that you shouldnt put your product as a guaranteed part of the rewards. And just toss it in as a bonus. And some how imply that certain reward tiers will get'em.

Funnily enough, V!C! made statements to the effect of "if it goes to print, then" kind of wording originally.  I think the only reward tiers that were guaranteed (at the start) to get physical stuff was the $250 and the $500 slots, figuring that even if all else fails, we could produce 1 or 2 copies with that kind of cash.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: January 11, 2013, 11:05:13 am »

Does 'pre-kickstarter' count for this thread?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2061 on: January 11, 2013, 11:05:56 am »

Think that's already been mentioned.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: January 11, 2013, 11:07:36 am »

Think that's already been mentioned.

Twice

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2063 on: January 11, 2013, 11:08:44 am »

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: January 11, 2013, 11:32:08 am »

Out of curiousity, how many times was Your World mentioned in this thread? Comparatively, this one is probably only better to a certain degree. Unless they could get us something much more convincing and -probably- scale down.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2065 on: January 11, 2013, 11:49:41 am »

Your world was a continuing saga of hookerbots and robot crabs and guild banks.

GUILD BANKS
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2066 on: January 11, 2013, 11:50:54 am »

!!GUILD BANKS!!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: January 11, 2013, 11:51:28 am »

We did have a hookerbot invasion in the upper boards a few weeks ago. COINCIDENCE?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2068 on: January 11, 2013, 11:53:58 am »

Did we mention that Your World was going to have Guild Banks yet?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: January 11, 2013, 11:58:45 am »

Spoiler: Also (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 213