Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672888 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #2010 on: December 22, 2012, 12:38:33 pm »

Do you remember the days of old when games were hard and made you think. This game is Dark Souls, Diablo 2 and Minecraft all in one.

Yup, never before in all of history have games been made that use aspects or even just copies of the gameplay and/or visual style of other games. Nope, that kind of thing definitely never happened. Ever. In all of the history of video games.

I've been punched in the face a fair few times.  I'm in no rush to see it happen again.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: December 22, 2012, 04:37:34 pm »

Do you remember the days of old when games were hard and made you think. This game is Dark Souls, Diablo 2 and Minecraft all in one.

oh my god I didn't actually read the lore thing yet
Proposal: change the first amendment so it no longer allows creating games based on Minecraft + other popular game(s)

The problem with banning games based on X is that there are still ways of creating an original game while basing it off another. If derivative games were banned, we'd have no games- after all, you can say Minecraft is a DF/Infiniminer ripoff (which it sort of is), you can say every JRPG ever is a Final Fantasy/DQ ripoff (which is even more true), you could say every FPS is a Doom/Wolfenstein ripoff... and so on and so forth.

The big problem is when people advertise the game as being like X, which becomes more of a IP issue than anything.

The first to discover North America was Jacques Cartier.

Pff, he has nothing on the vikings. Leif Eriksson is where it's at for your North-America-discovering needs.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw I was replying to a several pages old post.

ZHENG HE! ZHENG HE!
No, seriously, Gavin Menzies is a crackhead.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: December 22, 2012, 05:26:33 pm »

Pff, he has nothing on the vikings. Leif Eriksson is where it's at for your North-America-discovering needs.

He was also wrong.

Heard of the Native Americans?

They don't count, seeing as they are native to the place they can hardly "discover" it. It's like saying you discovered a carton of milk in your fridge that you put there yourself :p

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: December 22, 2012, 05:28:22 pm »

He was also wrong.

Heard of the Native Americans?

They don't count, seeing as they are native to the place they can hardly "discover" it. It's like saying you discovered a carton of milk in your fridge that you put there yourself :p

I repeatedly discover games in my Steam library which (apparently) I bought years ago >.>

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: December 22, 2012, 05:45:25 pm »

Well the Native American's did have to discover America before they could live there.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: December 22, 2012, 06:00:05 pm »

Well the Native American's did have to discover America before they could live there.

Sort of... Except they couldn't discover "America" because that didn't exist.

I know that it is a rather nipicky thing for me to say but it is actually important to understand for future references.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: December 22, 2012, 06:34:02 pm »

Then, Colombus didn't discover America, cause he thought he was in India.

And Native Americans did cross the Bering Strait.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2017 on: December 23, 2012, 09:10:25 am »

The problem with banning games based on X is that there are still ways of creating an original game while basing it off another. If derivative games were banned, we'd have no games- after all, you can say Minecraft is a DF/Infiniminer ripoff (which it sort of is), you can say every JRPG ever is a Final Fantasy/DQ ripoff (which is even more true), you could say every FPS is a Doom/Wolfenstein ripoff... and so on and so forth.

Also nothing is ever perfect, especially the first time through. You can always improve upon something.

Despite what Apple like to pretend, "innovation" is almost always nothing more than taking what came before and modifying it in some way in an attempt to eliminate a perceived problem with the previous version. Innovation is iterative. Copy, Transform and Combine. Embrace the Remix.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 09:16:31 am by MorleyDev »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: December 23, 2012, 10:14:06 am »

Also nothing is ever perfect, especially the first time through. You can always improve upon something.

Despite what Apple like to pretend, "innovation" is almost always nothing more than taking what came before and modifying it in some way in an attempt to eliminate a perceived problem with the previous version.

Innovation is most definitely not patenting "a rectangle with rounded corners."

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: December 23, 2012, 12:47:17 pm »

Games based on other games?  Fine.

Thousands of games based on the same game with minimal tweaks and additions from other games?  They will be first against the wall.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: December 23, 2012, 01:08:25 pm »

The problem comes when you take the idea of "modifying what came before" too far and your game ends up with no reason to justify its existence except for the games it's based on.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: December 23, 2012, 02:43:39 pm »

Yeah, we should appoint a government panel that decides which games are original enough and which ones are just derivative, and make them ban the games that don't have enough new stuff to justify its existence.

What could possibly go wrong.

Then we can have judges say things like "I may not know much about games, son, but I know what I don't like" and ban the games.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:48:51 pm by Sergius »

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: December 23, 2012, 08:31:59 pm »

Y'know, all these Kickstarters are just so derivative. I mean, the original works are so integral to their existence.

-Beaned on the head by someone who hates terrible math jokes-
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: December 23, 2012, 10:39:24 pm »

Y'know, all these Kickstarters are just so derivative. I mean, the original works are so integral to their existence.

-Beaned on the head by someone who hates terrible math jokes-

Honestly there were a few gems earlier in this list, but... I don't know... Ambitious talentless dumb people who are also very creative and overly proud just don't want to start kickstarters anymore.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2024 on: December 24, 2012, 03:08:09 am »

The god of heavy metal is a part of this games' pantheon.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 213