Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672955 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1995 on: December 21, 2012, 12:44:29 pm »

This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.

I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

oh god sigged
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: December 21, 2012, 12:59:32 pm »

My god, the best bit of that (and it was hard to decide) has to be the "actual in-game screenshot" image.

EDIT: Although perhaps "There’s only 99999 of the $600 tier rewards left, so order soon!" deserves a worthy second place.
The image looks and awful lot like Wurm: online...

Did you miss the fact that it's actually a screenshot of the Unity editor?  It's not "actual in-game footage."

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: December 21, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »

My god, the best bit of that (and it was hard to decide) has to be the "actual in-game screenshot" image.

EDIT: Although perhaps "There’s only 99999 of the $600 tier rewards left, so order soon!" deserves a worthy second place.
The image looks and awful lot like Wurm: online...
Nah, Wurm looks better.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: December 21, 2012, 01:14:27 pm »

A successfully funded project (with working prototypes) to make a universal charger/portable backup power for various mobile devices, has decided to refund all the backers after Apple refused to license their iphone5 power connector. Apple just won't license their connector to anything that could work with other devices, including slightly older Apple products.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/siminoff/pop-the-intersection-of-charging-and-design/posts/372925
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/21/apple_kickstarter/

I’ll never forget the moment when our campaign passed the $50,000 goal and our dream of powering dying batteries became tangible. Our promise was simple: provide a portable charger that was capable of powering ALL of your devices including the anticipated iPhone 5, which at the time, had not been released.

When Apple officially announced the move to Lightning we determined the best course of action was to incorporate two Lightning chargers, and two 30-pins (along with the four micro-USB’s). After applying to Apple (which is now required for Lightning), we learned that they are no longer willing to approve a product that uses the Lightning charger alongside any other charger (including their own 30-pin – seriously). Just like that, POP could no longer fulfill its true promise.
Apple seems to be the type to try to keep a monopoly over the whole chain of accessories for its products.  Like how the printer machine companies have all these special overcharged ink cases for each and every different printer.

A sad thing really, but they have the 'right' to do their durndest to keep it first party I suppose.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »

But if it charges with micro-USB... What's stopping them? Then again, apple DID sue samsung/whatever for integrating USB ports (fun fact: the U in USB stands for Universal.) in their tablets.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2000 on: December 21, 2012, 01:59:39 pm »

I think the patents office is being a bit too lenient in giving companies patents...

One of the biggest understatements of this year...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: December 21, 2012, 03:28:37 pm »

A successfully funded project (with working prototypes) to make a universal charger/portable backup power for various mobile devices, has decided to refund all the backers after Apple refused to license their iphone5 power connector. Apple just won't license their connector to anything that could work with other devices, including slightly older Apple products.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/siminoff/pop-the-intersection-of-charging-and-design/posts/372925
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/21/apple_kickstarter/

I’ll never forget the moment when our campaign passed the $50,000 goal and our dream of powering dying batteries became tangible. Our promise was simple: provide a portable charger that was capable of powering ALL of your devices including the anticipated iPhone 5, which at the time, had not been released.

When Apple officially announced the move to Lightning we determined the best course of action was to incorporate two Lightning chargers, and two 30-pins (along with the four micro-USB’s). After applying to Apple (which is now required for Lightning), we learned that they are no longer willing to approve a product that uses the Lightning charger alongside any other charger (including their own 30-pin – seriously). Just like that, POP could no longer fulfill its true promise.
Apple seems to be the type to try to keep a monopoly over the whole chain of accessories for its products.  Like how the printer machine companies have all these special overcharged ink cases for each and every different printer.

A sad thing really, but they have the 'right' to do their durndest to keep it first party I suppose.

Why exactly is Apple the bad guy here?

When this is a failing on the kickstarter folks not getting all their ducks in a row. Apple, or /any/ company doesnt have to grant a license to everyone. If being unable to get one license fucks over your entire product, then you should have gotten the license before hand, or maybe looked into why such an obvious product exist already.

This isn't on apple entirely, or majority.

This is the Kickstarter Folks counting their eggs before they got to market.

EDIT: Read the article from the The Wired.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:33:29 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: December 21, 2012, 05:01:29 pm »

An e-watch kickstarter has raised over 6 million dollars. Luckily, they have a track record of producing products and it seems they already have it ready to be produced, so I don't think it's going to flame out. Look like this might be a success.
Yeah, maybe I was a bit too hasty in supporting this project. They still haven't shipped yet (despite originally promising to ship on September 2012), and there is some discontent if the comments are correct. Some people have even "sold" their claims to Pebble watches off to other people, since Pebble has refused to give out refunds.

However, production of the watches does appear to be mostly complete, so I am not ready to call it a scam. My prediction is that it will eventually see the light of day.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 05:03:32 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: December 21, 2012, 05:48:03 pm »

An e-watch kickstarter has raised over 6 million dollars. Luckily, they have a track record of producing products and it seems they already have it ready to be produced, so I don't think it's going to flame out. Look like this might be a success.
Yeah, maybe I was a bit too hasty in supporting this project. They still haven't shipped yet (despite originally promising to ship on September 2012), and there is some discontent if the comments are correct. Some people have even "sold" their claims to Pebble watches off to other people, since Pebble has refused to give out refunds.
They raised 102 times their goal. If they need to make that many more watches than they originally planned for, it's going to take a while longer.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: December 21, 2012, 08:16:38 pm »

And the Internet wins again, and the evil Corporation bucks to the bad publicity. Apple lifts block on combo 30-pin+Lightning charging accessories.

"Our technical specifications provide clear guidelines for developing accessories and they are available to MFi licensees for free. We support accessories that integrate USB and Lightning connectors, but there were technical issues that prevented accessories from integrating 30-pin and Lightning connectors, so our guidelines did not allow this," Apple spokesperson Tom Neumayr told Ars on Friday. "We have been working to resolve this and have updated our guidelines to allow accessories to integrate both 30-pin and Lightning connectors to support charging."

Still manage to lie through their teeth tho. There's no "technical issues" because the people that were doing it were perfectly able to do so. It was just Apple being assholes, as is their usual behavior.

Project stills seems to be canceled, since Apple expects them to remove USB altogether (to prevent Samsung and others using it) and make plugs specifically for the 30 pin and the iPhone 5 crapplug. (which shouldn't need to be "licensed" in the first place).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 08:24:01 pm by Sergius »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: December 22, 2012, 09:27:43 am »

Do you remember the days of old when games were hard and made you think. This game is Dark Souls, Diablo 2 and Minecraft all in one.

oh my god I didn't actually read the lore thing yet
Proposal: change the first amendment so it no longer allows creating games based on Minecraft + other popular game(s)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #2006 on: December 22, 2012, 09:45:14 am »

Do you remember the days of old when games were hard and made you think. This game is Dark Souls, Diablo 2 and Minecraft all in one.

Yup, never before in all of history have games been made that use aspects or even just copies of the gameplay and/or visual style of other games. Nope, that kind of thing definitely never happened. Ever. In all of the history of video games.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: December 22, 2012, 10:08:23 am »

And the Internet wins again, and the evil Corporation bucks to the bad publicity. Apple lifts block on combo 30-pin+Lightning charging accessories.

"Our technical specifications provide clear guidelines for developing accessories and they are available to MFi licensees for free. We support accessories that integrate USB and Lightning connectors, but there were technical issues that prevented accessories from integrating 30-pin and Lightning connectors, so our guidelines did not allow this," Apple spokesperson Tom Neumayr told Ars on Friday. "We have been working to resolve this and have updated our guidelines to allow accessories to integrate both 30-pin and Lightning connectors to support charging."

Still manage to lie through their teeth tho. There's no "technical issues" because the people that were doing it were perfectly able to do so. It was just Apple being assholes, as is their usual behavior.

Project stills seems to be canceled, since Apple expects them to remove USB altogether (to prevent Samsung and others using it) and make plugs specifically for the 30 pin and the iPhone 5 crapplug. (which shouldn't need to be "licensed" in the first place).
So basically, Apple will only license them if the charger only works for them?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: December 22, 2012, 10:55:25 am »

So basically, Apple will only license them if the charger only works for them?

More accurately, they' 'll only license a product that no one else can use but Apple. They want to retain a monopoly on anything that connects to their devices, be it chargers or app stores.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: December 22, 2012, 11:16:10 am »

The first to discover North America was Jacques Cartier.

Pff, he has nothing on the vikings. Leif Eriksson is where it's at for your North-America-discovering needs.

EDIT: Whoops, just saw I was replying to a several pages old post.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 213