Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673275 times)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1680 on: August 09, 2012, 01:11:58 pm »

From kickstarter's FAQ:

Can I retry my project if funding is unsuccessful?

Yes. You can always try again with a new goal, whenever you're ready. You’ll need to set your project up from scratch, but it can be essentially identical if you choose.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: August 09, 2012, 01:13:29 pm »

Is there a rule against constantly restarting the same Kickstarter?

You are allowed to retry if you fail, no rule against that, but I can't find anything saying that you can (or cannot) after a success.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:24 pm »

You are allowed to retry if you fail, no rule against that, but I can't find anything saying that you can (or cannot) after a success.

When your business model is to take 5% of anything raised (and a further 3-5% to Amazon) it benefits to allow people to keep retrying or asking for more.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: August 09, 2012, 02:09:57 pm »

brb, making a "give me 5 bucks" kickstarter that I'm just going to restart infinitely

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: August 09, 2012, 02:35:06 pm »

brb, making a "give me 5 bucks" kickstarter that I'm just going to restart infinitely

When my group was talking Kickstarter, we pondered the hilariousness of a $1 kickstarter, with pledge amounts measured in dimes and quarters.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #1685 on: August 10, 2012, 03:14:08 am »

When my group was talking Kickstarter, we pondered the hilariousness of a $1 kickstarter, with pledge amounts measured in dimes and quarters.

And then the next day you take a look and you have $10,000.45 :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: August 10, 2012, 05:40:02 am »

I think you're allowed to do followup-kickstarters if you succeed, although it's probably beneficial if it has an extended purpose. I know one project that succeeded and after a few months started another to raise funds for porting the original project to more platforms.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:59 am »

Jake Cooper
Thursday Aug 9, 3:38am EDT
Why are you running a Kickstarter for a project that already succeeded?

Thomas Nyman
Thursday Aug 9, 3:49pm EDT
Hey Jake! That's a great question. Actually the previous campaign succeeded in getting a small amount however the amount REALLY needed just for animation is $6,000. so Smaller campaigns of 500 guarantees that whatever money that is raised we actually do get to keep it and I personally won't be tempted to dip into the funds for other things for LEGENDS. THese funds are JUST for the animation while the other "merchandise" (hats, posters, etc...) come from my direct pocket................ sorry I know that was the long drawn out answer. but that's why. =)

The man is an arse.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1688 on: August 10, 2012, 08:08:43 am »

Jake Cooper
Thursday Aug 9, 3:38am EDT
Why are you running a Kickstarter for a project that already succeeded?

Thomas Nyman
Thursday Aug 9, 3:49pm EDT
Hey Jake! That's a great question. Actually the previous campaign succeeded in getting a small amount however the amount REALLY needed just for animation is $6,000. so Smaller campaigns of 500 guarantees that whatever money that is raised we actually do get to keep it and I personally won't be tempted to dip into the funds for other things for LEGENDS. THese funds are JUST for the animation while the other "merchandise" (hats, posters, etc...) come from my direct pocket................ sorry I know that was the long drawn out answer. but that's why. =)

The man is an arse.
I'm torn. On the one hand, he is as much as admitting that he has zero self control. He is running several small campaigns rather than one big one so he is not tempted to 'dip into' the funds. This tells me that he thinks he will dip into the funds for personal expenses not related to the project.

On the other hand, he has acknowledged this problem and actively taken measures to prevent himself from doing it.

On the third hand (alien), this could easily be an attempt at disguising an income stream. If he runs a successful campaign once a month for $500, he is making money. He could be seeing how long he can do this without being called out/caught.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: August 10, 2012, 08:15:12 am »

And if he successfully raises $4000 (to pick a number at random) then all those who pledged don't get what they expected.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: August 10, 2012, 09:40:40 am »

You realize what he is actually doing is completely working around the premise of kickstarter, which is that the entrepreneur/artist/whatever doesn't get money unless their project is fully funded and has real rewards.

Report this rat right now.

No need for pity.  He actually comes right out and says, unabashedly, that he won't use the funds for the project and that his whole scheme is set up around incremental payments, which is not how kickstarter works.  He's glib about his breach of contract, going so far as to include a smiley face in his response.  Enraging.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:03:13 am by Rez »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1691 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:43 am »

He is also working around the idea of only getting money if you meet your goal. He says right there that he is doing smaller campaigns so that if they raise less than the overall goal they still get the lesser amount

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: August 10, 2012, 11:43:36 am »

There is no reason to trust him. Kickstarter rules are lenient enough to give incredible edge to the developer. There is no reason to let him also move the goalpost whenever he decides he wants more money. He could have split his project into parts or at least state overall costs before he got the money. The fact that he didn't do it is a warning sign. The kind which periodically blinks red, while a soft female voice says "ALERT! THE FACILITY WILL SELF-DESTRUCT IN 30 SECONDS".

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: August 11, 2012, 06:52:32 am »

He is also working around the idea of only getting money if you meet your goal. He says right there that he is doing smaller campaigns so that if they raise less than the overall goal they still get the lesser amount
Or if he raises less than the total goal, he can pocket the spare cash without much trouble.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: September 28, 2012, 01:46:26 am »

e: wrong thread
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 213