Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673329 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1665 on: August 09, 2012, 01:54:41 am »

At least hatphabet is bro as fuck. That's almost a redeeming quality.

I feel like half of these art things could be done for free in a few hours by someone who's decent with photoshop. People are just asking for $1500 or so to see if they can get it.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: August 09, 2012, 02:29:48 am »

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL! Totally not Drizzt at all!

Umm, he ran the exact same project on there already.  It got funded just over a week ago.

Am I missing something, or should I be reporting this?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: August 09, 2012, 02:31:10 am »

ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL! Totally not Drizzt at all!

Umm, he ran the exact same project on there already.  It got funded just over a week ago.

Well it could be someone running a scam, reporting it couldn't hurt.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: August 09, 2012, 02:33:01 am »

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: August 09, 2012, 02:56:01 am »

Wait, so some anime based on a D&D character got funded? Let's play the "how many sentences can I read until I find one I don't have a good criticism for" game, because I think I can do it for the entire thing.

The long journey of a Hero becoming a villain and the Villain's journey to becoming one of the greatest Hero's.

I won't count the terrible grammar as a good criticism even though I want to. This is a generic, meaningless, and uninformative tagline. It tells me a little about the plot, but nothing unique and definitely nothing memorable. Overall it fails completely at everything a tagline wants to do.

This is an Epic Tale to last through the ages. If Indiana Jones had a Hybrid baby with Lord Of The Rings, this would be IT!!!

I won't count the overenthusiastic exclamation points and dumb capitalization (capitalizing "hybrid"? really?) as a good criticism but I want to. If your first meaningful bit description doesn't actually say anything about your work, you're probably doing it wrong. Unless maybe this is a fanfiction, but I really think even they can try harder than that.

/ignoring next sentence since it's basically "here's a list"

The series is an Anime that was started from a D&D campaign 11 years ago and has thus changed into a great epic tale of serious manner while still maintaining very high levels of comedy.

The D&D campaign thing roots this firmly in my mind as a "me and my friends thought this up and it's super cool" sort of thing, which is a bad start. "Serious yet funny" sounds like he's desperately trying to appeal to everyone.

This Kickstarter is to produce the funding needed to pay the animator the costs of doing the actual labor of hand drawn animation for a 2 minute Trailer.

"This Kickstarter is not actually intended to produce any meaningful work." It's basically this.

We have Actors, Musicians, Writers, and Artists excited and currently working, however our key animation artist can't pay his bills by giving his Landlord pretty pictures.

So... this isn't actually a kickstarter that intends to produce anything, it's a "help me live" kickstarter. Also unnecessary capitalization. And really, for having this many art people on board all you have to show beyond the writing is three portraits and a world map and twenty seconds of music. That is a problem. You can get full-body concept sketches done for probably $10 each at a far better quality than the pictures on the kickstarter. If you're really passionate about this, show me the full cast of characters or something.

The MAIN goal of our Trailer and SERIES is to entertain while spreading a message that Anyone regardless of size, gender, and race can become REMARKABLE characters and LEGENDARY HEROES.

Unnecessary capitalization. And... I guess that's a pretty good moral? You win, kickstarter dude. I don't really have anything to say about this sentence beyond that. But just because I don't want to stop...

HIGHLIGHTS FROM THE REST OF THE THING

It is to be animated in a full fluid animation and not choppy like flash.

I'd sure as hell hope so.

This is the beginning of 3 seasons...
The Artwork and Scripts (For the full 3 Seasons) are nearly finished, but we need some extra funds to add the final element to make this trailer and ultimately the SERIES as beautiful and fluid as it can be.

If I ran a Fantasy Writing 101 class, the first lesson would be "stop getting ahead of yourself", i.e. don't write three seasons of material before you've even done anything with your first season. There's a decent chance this'll be crap and nobody will like it and you'll have wasted triple the amount of time.

Look at Eragon. Look at Harry Potter. Look at every single popular series ever. You release your first book when your first book is done. J.K. Rowling didn't write the seventh book in the series until the first six had proven that they were goddamn successful because she's not an idiot. If the first book had bombed then she'd have spent the next eight years of her life writing a different series. Nothing in writing is definite.

This guy shows a ton of completely undeserved confidence in his stuff. Nothing he has done has proven it's worthy of publishing. This can only end in disaster.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 02:57:55 am by penguinofhonor »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: August 09, 2012, 03:09:56 am »

Overall, I concur with your post, but I do disagree that the Trailer isn't itself a meaningful project. They intend to shop it, and see if it gets picked up. That seems fairly well measured. Its very unlikely they could get funding for an entire season and considering their first kickstater was for 3.1k, I think they learned that they cant get a full episode either from crowd sourcing.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:19:19 am by MrWiggles »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: August 09, 2012, 03:12:47 am »

I feel like the reason they can't get a full episode's worth of money is because their project isn't worth that much. This new one is just lowering their goal to the amount they raised the first time.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: August 09, 2012, 03:14:14 am »

The 'new' is pretty much a copy paste of their second kick starter. And that seems wrong.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: August 09, 2012, 03:16:14 am »

If they could at least be bothered to fix the grammar in the second one then I'd probably be a little less... no I wouldn't be less disappointed, but I'd have less to make fun of them for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: August 09, 2012, 09:03:37 am »

Heroes that are talked about for the 30 years to come... (Seasons 2 &3).

I don't know why but this strikes me as incredibly funny. Like, the day after the 30 year mark, the heroes slip from the consciousness of the entire world and everyone just thinks they're grubby thieves.

You could I suppose. I get the impression they were like 'doh, shoulda asked for more money last time!' That or they decided to pay everyone but their artist and he told them to take a flying fuck.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: August 09, 2012, 09:34:05 am »

You could I suppose. I get the impression they were like 'doh, shoulda asked for more money last time!' That or they decided to pay everyone but their artist and he told them to take a flying fuck.

His first kickstart asked for $3100 and raised $885.

So he restarted it and asked for less money, $550 and raised $600.

But seeing as he actually still needs the $3100 he started yet another kickstarter asking for another $550.

I suspect in a month he'll start another one, regardless of if this one succeeds or not (also his rewards are garbage, seriously, who'd pay $1000 for "10 pens and a couple of shirts"?).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:36:02 am by Draco18s »

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: August 09, 2012, 11:58:21 am »

ME HAZ EPICZ ANIME TRAILER, YOO GIVEZ ME MONEY YOO GET PENS AND TRAILER.
Honestly, for the trailer? Idiotic.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: August 09, 2012, 12:07:05 pm »

So... I read a bit and I thought "it's about Drizzt"

then I ctrl+f'd "drizzt" and found nothing, so yeah, it's DEFINITELY about Drizzt.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: August 09, 2012, 01:04:42 pm »

Is there a rule against constantly restarting the same Kickstarter?
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 213