Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673639 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1380 on: July 13, 2012, 06:45:40 am »

I've noticed a few kickstarters for games have a similar problem to that one, with different donation tiers providing rewards of the product in a different quality level. It's inevitable that one like this would have a problem printing up and producing everything promised to donators in several different editions. She's probably raised enough to complete those first rewards but i'm sure she'll have to return the donations for those elite editions. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to print up decent quality cards for 80ish donators even in ones own home. looking at that link someone posted either here or in the kickstarter comments it seems all you really need is a good quality printer, a template, the right thickness cardstock, spray adheasive and clear enamel. But obviously a real printing company could do it better and cheaper, even for only 100 copies.
I gotta say that game looked kinda cool to me too.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 13, 2012, 06:54:47 am »

Does anyone else that thats a topless picture of her for her kickstarter picture?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1382 on: July 13, 2012, 07:28:08 am »

Does anyone else that thats a topless picture of her for her kickstarter picture?
I'm fairly certain that it is, yes.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: July 13, 2012, 08:28:39 am »

But obviously a real printing company could do it better and cheaper, even for only 100 copies.

A real printing company won't even talk to you for less than 1000 copies.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: July 13, 2012, 08:38:38 am »

I'm certain they would, provided you flashed enough cash. Gets exponentially more costly per book the less you print, but so long as they turn a profit :) Though yeah it could eat quite a bit more of the kickstarter's funds than probably expected.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: July 13, 2012, 09:36:10 am »

I'm certain they would, provided you flashed enough cash. Gets exponentially more costly per book the less you print, but so long as they turn a profit :) Though yeah it could eat quite a bit more of the kickstarter's funds than probably expected.

No, I mean they seriously will not talk to you for less than a thousand.  They won't even say "we don't do anything for less than a thousand."  They simply won't reply to your email or phone message.  This is from experience trying to get a quote on my group's own project back when we were looking at 3-500 copies of our game.  Once we pushed over 700 and we were thinking a thousand copies and have extra, we started getting (some) replies.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:37:53 am by Draco18s »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: July 13, 2012, 05:21:55 pm »

I'm not to surprised that it has to be at least a 1k printed copies. They make profit through volume. Under a 1k might not cover overhead cost or various other costs.

From the research I've done for a few projects, if you're under 1.5k copies, that its generally good to with Print on Demand services.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: July 13, 2012, 09:59:45 pm »

You know what I find fascinating?  The comments on the Katalyka update that are acting like everything is normal and the project is the only thing having problems. 

Oh?  You're talking about the Sun like it's a person and that your card project is too close to reality so people are trying to stop you.  Perfectly normal, how can we help you finish the project?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: July 13, 2012, 10:35:18 pm »

That or she's floored on coke every other day.
Hello Hunam

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: July 13, 2012, 11:22:59 pm »

Her deviant art stuff is, fuckin out there. Like History Channel Expert out there.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: July 13, 2012, 11:37:24 pm »

Her deviant art stuff is, fuckin out there. Like History Channel Expert out there.

Check out her Facebook page (linked to on the Kickstarter) if you think the dA stuff is weird.  My favourite part is where she explains that Neil Gaiman is a woman.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: July 13, 2012, 11:40:24 pm »

They Might Be Giants songs actually being some kind of alien communication takes the cake.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: July 13, 2012, 11:47:22 pm »

I'l friending this chick because her posts are amazing.

It's like a mental sink. I can read her posts, and even though they are legitimately insane I get to, for a short amount of time just turn off my brain and enjoy the nonsense.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: July 14, 2012, 12:38:40 am »

I tried to read it. I can't. I instinctively click the nearest X to save my brain.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 213