Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673655 times)

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1350 on: July 11, 2012, 01:49:27 pm »

Which would be a reason why they wouldn't want to implement a subscription system.  Getting a log-in system and associating it with payment information would probably require quite a bit of initial investment.

Their forum is sourced from a 3rd party.

How are they ignoring the rules?  Kickstarter cleared their project.  They're offering rewards at the different payment levels.  The project has a clear goal: remove ads for a year.  Their fuckery with the stretch goals is irritating and obscure, but there's nothing I can see that violates the rules for projects.

Furthermore, kickstarter has no great motive to let them ignore the rules.  Plenty of other projects with a lot lower profile have raised many times what penny arcade wants.  The distrust being generated here is a pretty clear indication that kickstarter has something to lose by just letting any project through.

Edit:  I can see how you could construe the goal in violation of the 'maintenance' bit.  IMO there's a strong argument there.  Still don't really see that much an ethical issue though.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:55:03 pm by Rez »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: July 11, 2012, 01:57:15 pm »

But I think there's a separate ethical problem, about "why them and nobody else gets to ignore the rules set by Kickstarter itself".

This is my biggest deal. The way I see it, there are two kinds of kickstarters generally. There's the more common "I have an idea and want some money to start it from scratch kind" and then the "Here's what I've done, I need money to do more of it" kind. Doublefine Adventure or whatever it was called would be an example of the second kind. This pushes straight past the second into "We're popular, we'll do good things with the money. Trust us." All kickstarters benefit from popularity, but some put far more weight into their popularity than the actual value of their ideas, and the PA one is pretty much 100% popularity.

And I'm still bothered by the fact that they've been discussing and hyping kickstarter for some months to their fans, with the various kickstarter comics and blogging about kickstarter, and now they're funneling all that into getting money for themselves.

I mean, I guess you could argue that it's perfectly logical for them to use kickstarter since they like it so much, but the fact that they've made a kickstarter that's going to run nearly 100% on existing popularity and kickstarter hype rather than their ideas feels a little off. I'd be more understanding if it was a situation of "Hey, kickstarter is great for launching ideas so I'm going to launch my own off it" but that's not really what it looks like to me.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: July 11, 2012, 02:05:15 pm »

How are they ignoring the rules?  Kickstarter cleared their project.

Doesn't mean someone didn't look closely enough.

They're offering rewards at the different payment levels.

Really?  Really?  Compare their actual reward levels to the comic they drew up making fun of Kickstarter.  Their actual rewards are about as tangible is "satisfaction of having given me $25."

The project has a clear goal: remove ads for a year.

That.  That...  That isn't a project. :|
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 02:09:17 pm by Draco18s »

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: July 11, 2012, 02:07:07 pm »

Time for a topic change maybe? The OUYA console kickstarter exploded recently, they've already raised over $3 million. It looks to me like they're the 3rd most funded kickstarter ever and they've got 28 days to go even higher.

But honestly, I don't see what all the excitement is about. This is going to have to get much bigger than 25,000 people before developers start making games for the platform, and the hardware doesn't seem like it's on par with modern consoles. It's sort of like people don't realize they can connect their PCs to a television.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: July 11, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »

All I will say about that project is that everytime I read the name, I hear the Kool-Aide guy.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: July 11, 2012, 02:17:37 pm »

But honestly, I don't see what all the excitement is about. This is going to have to get much bigger than 25,000 people before developers start making games for the platform, and the hardware doesn't seem like it's on par with modern consoles. It's sort of like people don't realize they can connect their PCs to a television.

Me neither.  Although probably part of that is my innate hatred of the Free to play model that they seem so excited about.    :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: July 11, 2012, 02:18:34 pm »

Well, they also mentioned game demos, which is something I do agree with, so I dunno.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: July 11, 2012, 02:19:21 pm »

It's turrible.  There's a thread about it in the other games forum that has varying levels of cynicism.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1358 on: July 11, 2012, 02:19:58 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1820893788/katalyka/posts/239764

So here we have a successful kickstarter for some sort of board/card game that looks decent. However the creator now thinks the sun is talking to her. That is certainly an interesting development. I've seen what apparently is her deviant art and there is more craziness, but I'm not going to encourage looking at everything about them like we sort of did with Your World because this looks like insanity rather than mere delusions.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: July 11, 2012, 02:23:56 pm »

Time for a topic change maybe? The OUYA console kickstarter exploded recently, they've already raised over $3 million. It looks to me like they're the 3rd most funded kickstarter ever and they've got 28 days to go even higher.

The nice thing about consoles is that you don't have to worry if your console can play the game or not.  Don't even have to update 3-4 years later either... For example, I'm still using my launch PS3...

They just have to get enough developers of all sorts in on it... There is quite a number of pledges for the +699/Developer stuff...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: July 11, 2012, 02:37:14 pm »

However the creator now thinks the sun is talking to her.

Da fuq?

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: July 11, 2012, 03:18:04 pm »

You don't have to worry about it, because the developers will make the game look horrible if it can't run on a specific consoles hardware.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: July 11, 2012, 03:25:01 pm »

I looked at that console and immediately thought "it's already behind in hardware specs and they haven't even made it yet."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: July 11, 2012, 03:45:50 pm »

However the creator now thinks the sun is talking to her.

Da fuq?
She realized she didn't have enough cash so is faking insanity in order to keep the money. Or, she's actually insane.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: July 11, 2012, 08:40:51 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1702140512/that-good-life-christian-comedy-cartoon

A Christian cartoon kickstarter. The main problem is that the trailer is made with Go! Animate and is hilariously bad.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 213