Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673213 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #780 on: May 03, 2012, 01:12:30 pm »

I don't don't know, Bait-and-Switch rape is a catchy term and we probably won't stop talking about it that easily. I actually considered using it in sig as a quote. Anyway one more thing:
Bit of a dick move don't you think?

And?

He hasn't accepted any advice that isn't his own, continually talks about how he can pull it off, despite having no experience, and how he's got millions he can throw at this project.

He's going to fail, it's a given.  I'm just along for the entertainment value of that failure.  So I can laugh and say, "I told you so" when he crashes and burns.

If he does miraculously pull it off and have a real, playable, marketable game at the end that doesn't have god awful mechanics and a hodgepodge of themes, etc. and he's still sane.  I will eat my hat.
You wrong about the part I bolded. He accept the hookerbot idea.
Naw man, he conceded to the demands of a 'backer'.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: May 03, 2012, 05:43:11 pm »

All is said and done on KS. The last comments are one supporter who can't spell telling Bartlett how great he is. But of course, it's still going on on his website. It got worse. The site itself is actually somehow uglier than it was before, there's a livestream, forums (oh god oh god), and new mess of ideas he thinks is a design document.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: May 03, 2012, 05:45:47 pm »

Also the first thing a new person will learn about the game is hookerbots.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: May 03, 2012, 05:49:24 pm »

The last comments are one supporter who can't spell telling Bartlett how great he is.
I sort of think that guy might be subtly trolling.

And yeah, Bartlet has had that stuff on the site for the last week, at least. I guess somehow he thinks he can make the game with a fraction of his original funding goal.
Quote from: Bunky
We have raise $25K outside of kickstarter and with that money we will be producing the following content.
5/1 - $10,000 - start
6/1 - $5,000 - Characters done (modeled, textured, rigged, and animated)
7/1 - $5,000 - Buildings done
7/23 - $5,000 - Finish (Everything in Hero Engine and set up as a small level with foliage set pieces)
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: May 03, 2012, 06:00:50 pm »

The last comments are one supporter who can't spell telling Bartlett how great he is.
I sort of think that guy might be subtly trolling.

And yeah, Bartlet has had that stuff on the site for the last week, at least. I guess somehow he thinks he can make the game with a fraction of his original funding goal.
Quote from: Bunky
We have raise $25K outside of kickstarter and with that money we will be producing the following content.
5/1 - $10,000 - start
6/1 - $5,000 - Characters done (modeled, textured, rigged, and animated)
7/1 - $5,000 - Buildings done
7/23 - $5,000 - Finish (Everything in Hero Engine and set up as a small level with foliage set pieces)

*Facepalm*

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #785 on: May 03, 2012, 06:02:30 pm »

Ugh. Ever since this whole Your World thing started, I can't stop thinking that Bartlett is some kind of version of Peter Griffin in that episode where he wins the lottery who has inexplicably escaped from the cartoon dimension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_jJ4YemQTU

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #786 on: May 03, 2012, 06:16:45 pm »

Did he seriously think he can finish a game on the misimagined scope of Your World in ... (counts) two months?

D:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 06:22:21 pm by Skyrunner »

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: May 03, 2012, 06:23:58 pm »

Remember, content is the entire game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #788 on: May 03, 2012, 06:25:00 pm »

Remember, content is the entire game.

Eh?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: May 03, 2012, 06:38:07 pm »

As far as I can tell from his timeline, his engine consists of nothing more than art pieces.  A fabulously wealthy software developer like him must surely know what we do not: code is nothing, art is everything.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: May 03, 2012, 06:55:48 pm »

To be fair, this seems to be knowledge also held by some major game publishers.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #791 on: May 03, 2012, 07:04:41 pm »

The difference being that major game publishers don't expect it to be done in a couple months.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: May 03, 2012, 07:18:34 pm »

According to Gawker, 25% of all gaming kickstarters meet their funding goals.

If this is true, that pretty much put a damper on a plan of mine to launch a kickstarter of my own.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 03, 2012, 07:22:01 pm »

25% is pretty damn high once you factor in all the idiots.  I honestly can't think of a single promising (PC game) project that failed to reach it's target.

E: Jesus Fucking Christ, he's taking that hookerbot shit way too seriously.  The guy who suggested it in the first place was blatantly just trolling too.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 07:24:24 pm by lordcooper »
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 03, 2012, 07:24:04 pm »

Start small, present strong. Provide proof of concept. Understand the logistics of the rewards you're offering people. If you keep your funding goals small and realistic, and the above are true, I think you're more than likely to succeed. I'd bet the vast majority of Kickstarter games that fail don't have proof of concept.

I'd be really interested to know what the average % over-funded is for successful Kickstarter games. If there's an effect where games that have already succeeded draw more dollars. Because if that were true, you could plan for $2k and make it easily, and end up with $12k.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 213