Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 672987 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #645 on: April 25, 2012, 10:44:07 am »

~ ignore me ~
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 10:46:07 am by Lord Dullard »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 25, 2012, 10:50:24 am »

It sounds to me like such a scheme would pretty clearly qualify as extortion.  A quick google search shows that in California (the first place I found) extortion is a felony punishable by 4 years in prison.  While it's doubtful that people would press charges over a nickle and dime scheme, a large enough scheme to get serious cash might lead to prosecution.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 26, 2012, 12:40:01 pm »

An e-watch kickstarter has raised over 6 million dollars. Luckily, they have a track record of producing products and it seems they already have it ready to be produced, so I don't think it's going to flame out. Look like this might be a success.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 26, 2012, 01:00:08 pm »

The e-watch kind of blows me away with how fast people backed it. It seems like such a small idea and yet banked in funding.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #649 on: April 26, 2012, 01:01:37 pm »

Also that watch looks amazing

Yannanth

« Reply #650 on: April 26, 2012, 01:45:31 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:34:47 pm by Yannanth »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #651 on: April 26, 2012, 02:20:20 pm »

An e-watch kickstarter has raised over 6 million dollars. Luckily, they have a track record of producing products and it seems they already have it ready to be produced, so I don't think it's going to flame out. Look like this might be a success.
I'm not touching that thing. Anyone who does is clearly just a whore for gadgets, because as a watch it's useless. And I don't want a frickin' touch-screen or massive glass watchface on my wristwatch, nor do I want to look at the thing all the time. And I don't want it lighting up my bedroom when I'm trying to sleep.

It is a horrible scam. This will probably go for over £200 when it's put to market, while a G-Shock Mudman is on the market for... US$85 on the American Amazon website! And you know what? A Mudman's battery lasts for 10 years and the watch can take a ridiculous, unthought of amount of abuse. Even throwing it into Mt Doom might not destroy it. This watch? Just flicking your finger at the screen will probably break it and you need to recharge its crappy battery every 7 days. I've had my G-7800, a fairly low-range model since 2009 (it was a Christmas present, though I had wanted a tough watch for a while). The manual says you need to change the battery every 5 years. With the contrast turned up to 5/10 (personal preference) and various other settings touched up, it's still going strong today without a single sign of battery depletion on the screen. I can't even bear the thought of having to recharge my watch.

I'm sticking with my £125 retro-cool G-Shock G-7800, thank you very much, which is built out of stainless steel (the next G-Shock model in terms of price is titanium-framed), has an 1-cm thick glass watchface from which the steel extends outwards so the watch is literally untouchable. Also, it has just about every use I could ever wish for except an accelerometer--which most G-Shock watches have anyway. Don't buy into this crap people, Casio and others (more recently Timex) have been doing it for years.
I can tell you feel very strongly about this watch.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 26, 2012, 02:24:35 pm »

The kickstarter watch does look pretty cool, and I don't think that having a large face is a problem.
Charging it every 7 days however sounds completely terrible, I know that I would be pissed if my watch ran out of batteries when I needed it, especially since I could probably get a watch that would only need to have the battery be changed a few times in my lifetime.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #653 on: April 26, 2012, 02:29:35 pm »

The kickstarter watch does look pretty cool, and I don't think that having a large face is a problem.
Charging it every 7 days however sounds completely terrible, I know that I would be pissed if my watch ran out of batteries when I needed it, especially since I could probably get a watch that would only need to have the battery be changed a few times in my lifetime.
yeah that's the main reason I see to not get the watch.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 26, 2012, 02:50:50 pm »

I was always suspicious about gadgets, why do I need a rectangle to do what the body God gave me and many less expensive items can do without electronics?
Hello Hunam

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #655 on: April 26, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »

I was always suspicious about gadgets, why do I need a rectangle to do what the body God gave me and many less expensive items can do without electronics?

Why do I need a car, when a horse and cart can pull me along? Why do I need a clock when I can just use the sun and stars to tell the time? The point of the gadgets is supposed to be to make the job easier than the previous tools.

The watch looks like it's too unwieldy and too much of a hassle to make the jobs any easier. It doesn't seem to do anything other "gadgets" can do better. Things like this are mainly done because something thinks "it's awesome". It's like "why do I want a jetpack?" or "why should we still have a space program that actively sends people into space?". Because it's friggin' awesome.

As for Kickstarter, I've only funded one so far, Wasteland 2. It involves enough people with a history of delivering some very good products, and any thing that can demonstrate the validity of "old school" styled RPGs instantly gets 10 free points in my book xD
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:27:22 pm by MorleyDev »

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #656 on: April 26, 2012, 04:12:24 pm »

Try things like 'graphing P(t) = 1 / (1 + e^(-t*0.01 + 3)) + 1'. :P

It cost me $125 to get that graph. From a small rectangular handheld device.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #657 on: April 26, 2012, 04:40:19 pm »

Because 'god' also gave us the ability to craft items which can do those things far faster and easier.

Technically you could run Crysis using an abacus, doing every calculation and running every line of code by hand and manually filling out pixels with markers. It would be stupid, but you could.

Also, your statement is silly.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 26, 2012, 04:55:16 pm »

Technically you could run Crysis using an abacus, doing every calculation and running every line of code by hand and manually filling out pixels with markers. It would be stupid, but you could.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #659 on: April 26, 2012, 04:59:34 pm »

That's the first xkcd I ever saw, and it's still the best imo.

It must be boring doing that <.< Imagine all the bugs!

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 213