Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 661323 times)

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #360 on: April 04, 2012, 05:13:24 pm »

I have come to the conclusion that the game mentioned in the OP is going to happen.

"What? How? Why?" you ask.

I cannot say. I can say when: It will be right between R'lyeh resurfacing and Cthulhu eating everyone.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 04, 2012, 05:37:48 pm »

I will not let this game happen, don't worry.
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 04, 2012, 05:40:14 pm »

You just want an excuse to eat everyone.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 04, 2012, 11:22:40 pm »

I now have the itch to try and take all those ideas in the "Your World", strip out the multiplayer portion of it, write a design doc, then place it in my list of game projects to do in the future wait no, that's a horrible idea, stick at writing the design doc.

EDIT:
The guilds currency will be increased via completion of quests and anything that gives you currency. So say you go out and kill a Pirate and you get 100g for that kill. The guild bank will get a % of that amount, We are not saying you will get less. The Pirate will give you 100g and then let’s use 10% will go to the guild bank so it will receive 10g. You will not get a lower amount like 90g to you and 10g to the guild bank, you will still get 100g and the guild bank gets 10g. 
PVP Games:

1.     Gladiator Attack Ball – The object is to be the 1st to get the ball at the center of the field and hold it there. If you step out of the center the ball will be reset. You can pass the ball to other players, but you run the risk of the other team intercepting the ball. The team that reaches 3 minutes of ball time or the team with the most minutes at the end of 10 minutes wins the match. Game begins with a min of 5 players and max of 10.
::) Cancel writing the design doc as well.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 11:30:41 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 05, 2012, 01:04:17 am »

Your World is selling a bunch of random ideas as a product.
Hello Hunam

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 05, 2012, 01:16:33 am »

You call it "random ideas", I call it "dreams" :P
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 05, 2012, 01:22:28 am »

Monetizing dreams?

What is this, Disney?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 05, 2012, 01:22:54 am »

If they're dreams, this man is the most fanatical neo-nazi ever for causing MLK's tears to flood heaven.
Hello Hunam

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 05, 2012, 01:23:31 am »

Monetizing dreams?

What is this, Disney?

Isn't it a common dream to make a living off your creative endeavors?

It's what I want to do.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 05, 2012, 01:27:00 am »

Quote from: Cpt.Bartlett
you want this game made so you can play it. :-)

That's...

I guess there's just some video games you can't play a game with.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hello Hunam

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 05, 2012, 01:27:37 am »

Perhaps bad wording.

The joke was the buying and selling of dreams themselves sounds like something Disney (the company) would do, being the peddler of positive emotion with the ethics of a drug cartel. Gaining money on the side while pursuing one's dream is a normal thingamajig.

And now...

dontexplainthejoke.jpg
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #371 on: April 05, 2012, 12:05:37 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brokenbulb/ninja-warz?ref=category

Here's a good example of 'Content is King'.

That's actually a pretty well-done video, but that project will never receive the kind of funding they're asking for. The reason is simple: they barely tell us anything about the damned game.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #372 on: April 05, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/brokenbulb/ninja-warz?ref=category

Here's a good example of 'Content is King'.

That's actually a pretty well-done video, but that project will never receive the kind of funding they're asking for. The reason is simple: they barely tell us anything about the damned game.

The problem with that project is this:

So what happens if we make our goal?

As soon as we’ve reached $285,000, we’ll begin the concept phase for Ninja Warz. Taking some inspiration from great RTS titles of the past and combining it with our unique world, we’ll create a plethora of characters and creatures to be controlled within the game. We’ll also lay out controls and mechanics specifically designed for touch screen devices.

Next concept art and prototyping will begin and quickly give way to the final components that will make it into the game. Finally we’ll thoroughly test and refine until we have a perfectly polished gem of ninja battliness.

In other words, they have no fucking clue what the game will be about. They want $285k from you based solely on a video they worked up over a weekend, and they won't even start working on the game's concept phase until they get that $285k.

At least Elwood has a concept already, and is working out what he wants in his game. As silly and unrealistic as it may be, he has the concepts and ideas down.

Hell I may as well put up a kickstarter saying "Hey if you guys pay my housing + college costs for the next 2 years I will totally learn programming and maybe even think about making a game out of this awesome video my buddy made yesterday!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 05, 2012, 12:25:32 pm »

Did you miss the part where they've already shipped a game before and are basically going to do another version of it through Unity?

I'm all about diving all over Kickstarter pipe dreams, but this seemed pretty legit to me. Am I missing something?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #374 on: April 05, 2012, 12:27:59 pm »

Did you miss the part where they've already shipped a game before and are basically going to do another version of it through Unity?

I'm all about diving all over Kickstarter pipe dreams, but this seemed pretty legit to me. Am I missing something?
If they've already released the game and just want to port it to unity, I don't see where the $285,000 cost is. Maybe I'm missing something then.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 213