Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 660112 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2012, 11:37:17 pm »

I'm hoping he goes for it. At the very least, he will spend some money and hire people for a little while.
I am... unsure he is going to get the kickstarter funds though :P
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2012, 11:52:45 pm »

...he's still going to have to convince dozens of professionals to take on this project. Regardless of how much he agrees to pay them, they will not be able to accomplish what he's envisioning...

I would totally jump on this project if he paid me for it. You never know where they might need someone who's studied Visual Basic for half a semester. I'd be able to spend years of my life working on a project doomed to failure, ultimately ending with a shaky release, near immediate failure, my employer losing his livelihood, and me coming out with a desire never to work on another game project again (But ultimately doing so because I have no experience in any other field). It'd be just like the real game industry!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2012, 12:17:58 am »

I would totally jump on this project if he paid me for it. You never know where they might need someone who's studied Visual Basic for half a semester. I'd be able to spend years of my life working on a project doomed to failure, ultimately ending with a shaky release, near immediate failure, my employer losing his livelihood, and me coming out with a desire never to work on another game project again (But ultimately doing so because I have no experience in any other field). It'd be just like the real game industry!
You aren't nearly as skeptical as you should be if you think this will have even a shaky release. It won't be released. Ever.

You guys are the worst, ridiculing the ambition of a great man.  I personally hope he follows his dream and ignore haters like yourselves.
It's obvious from the text the guy has not only no clue about the game development industry, but no clue about the development process. As someone in a game development major, it's something I would expect a terribly bad incoming freshman to propose. The whole text is, quite frankly, bullshit. So far as I know, he has no team of developers, no experience with code, no experience with MMO development, and no understanding of how to create good game mechanics. It manages to be both completely overscoped while being too vague as to actual game mechanics to mean anything. He won the lottery; that doesn't make him an expert in game development any more than it makes him an expert in quantum mechanics. Dead. Baby. Monkey.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:19:30 am by alway »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2012, 12:27:33 am »

Your sarcasm detector appears to be broken.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2012, 12:35:40 am »

Honestly LC, it read pretty straight to me too. I was gonna say something, but I was like "No, man's entitled to his opinion." The only tell was "great man." I was this close to asking you to explain that one :P

Italics for the win.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2012, 12:36:25 am »

You people have done NO RESEARCH WHAT SO EVER. He does know about game design, in fact I can link you to a video that will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjCo2I3ooK0
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2012, 12:39:15 am »

/facepalm
This man is fail.
Seriously, that pretty much summed it up.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2012, 12:41:51 am »

You don't need to be an expert to see flaws in a business proposal. Any kind of written plan should be understood even if you aren't a professional in the field. You need to sell the idea to the person backing you up.

Lets see the problems here:
1. No solid idea, seriously. There are no solid foundations, it only asks for millions of different people what they want to put in it. Try asking the same with five creative people and see how well you do.

2. Spelling errors right there in the part where they ask for your money. It really kills any kind of credibility.

Those two are the most glaring problems that jumps out at me. If you do any kind of project planning in school, take this as an example of bad planning doomed to failure. Learn from it.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2012, 12:49:13 am »

Space and Beyond: As your world (server) you will gain access to space travel. You will be able to travel from one world (server) to another. You will be able to buy or create your own space ship and go on space battles against the horde of creatures that have also leveled to the point of space travel. This is where the world will have to work together. There will be quests and puzzles that will need to be complete and materials gathered and turned in to the world council. Once your world reaches certain levels you will gain space travel and be allowed to participate in multi world quests and PVP events.
I want whatever he's smokin.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2012, 12:54:56 am »

I think he's probably smoking blunts packed and rolled with $100 bills. He's riding high on pure possibilities right now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2012, 01:10:39 am »

I think he's high on impossibilities as well. I'm sure servers can't do that.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2012, 01:11:59 am »

You people have done NO RESEARCH WHAT SO EVER. He does know about game design, in fact I can link you to a video that will tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjCo2I3ooK0

Quote from: Youtube Comments
Yo momma so loose the graphics on level 3 said DAYAMNNNN.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2012, 01:26:00 am »

Your sarcasm detector appears to be broken.
For your information, my sarcasm detector is not broken, it merely never worked in the first place. :P

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2012, 01:45:21 am »

You aren't nearly as skeptical as you should be if you think this will have even a shaky release. It won't be released. Ever.

What can I say? I'm an optimist!
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2012, 01:46:05 am »

Ugh- the guy who says "I don't know anything about coding, but I've got lots of great ideas!" Also apparently he doesn't really understand how servers work in most MMOs.

Anyway, those screenshots look familiar. I think the models are defaults that come with some game engine or other (relatively recent version of Torque?). Can anyone help me figure out which/if I'm correct in my suspicions?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 213