Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 213

Author Topic: When Kickstarter goes wrong?  (Read 673550 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: When Kickstarter goes wrong?
« Reply #1140 on: June 04, 2012, 11:36:18 pm »

Of course theres doorbell ringing involved, how else do they get the attention of the homeowners?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 04, 2012, 11:49:24 pm »

Those screens have to be mock ups. Nothing about that says functional prototype to me. It has the crispness of a still frame built in a painter program. Notice how the proportions make zero sense too.

Maybe they really do have a prototype, but if that's it......yea gods.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 04, 2012, 11:52:24 pm »

It's all prerendered "sprites". So what you see is EXACTLY what you get- you can't view the characters from a slightly different angle, they just have a front, back and side view.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 04, 2012, 11:53:53 pm »

I just dislike how absolutely disinterested the sprites look all the time.

It is like even the characters in the game are bored of BELL RINGING ACTION!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 04, 2012, 11:57:29 pm »

Oh man it is real. That's....that's just so bad. I love old skool adventure games, and the screen based nature of it. But as an MMO? Someone should be shot in the face for that idea. And again, the proportions are just off to my eye, like they made the characters huge and dominate everything in the screen even though they're boring to look at.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:29:13 am by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #1145 on: June 05, 2012, 12:27:57 am »

Another MMORPG. The description is full of mediocrity and vagueness, but it's the reward section where the creators go totally apeshit. The best thing is that this isn't even going to be a Freemium game - you are supposed to pay 7$ monthly to play this magnum opus.

So basically, this is the Realm 2.0 or something.  With more cheese.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 05, 2012, 12:36:03 am »

I love how they think putting lines like "Pilfer graveyards" and the aforementioned classic "Ring doorbells to sell your wares" will make it somehow better.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
  • He has a fertile imagination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 05, 2012, 01:34:33 am »

Why just ring a bell when you can donate 100$ to TELEPORT into the house of your customer?

It's a shame that you can't donate above 10000$. I'd love to see how next tier rewards would look like.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 05, 2012, 01:42:40 am »

I actually thought their implementation of '2.5D' looked pretty good, till i saw the guy walking / fighting the rat.... WTF.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 05, 2012, 02:27:23 am »

I actually thought their implementation of '2.5D' looked pretty good, till i saw the guy walking / fighting the rat.... WTF.

No I will admit that if they had great animation that it would have made a pretty and stylised Point and click adventure.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 05, 2012, 10:07:29 am »

I must admit that, after browsing Kickstarter a bit, I feel somewhat disillusioned. When this service appeared, I used to think this would be a great way to make money on a game without all this hassle with distribution and selling individual copies. I even imagined that, after the creator gets the intended amount of cash (or more) he could (*gasp!*) just publish the game which, at this point, have already been paid for. I agree, that was pretty naive.

Of course, most of the developers doesn't seem to be interested in that one bit - they at least imply they are going to sell the game normally (sometimes with DRM included). Bonus points if their reward system is screwed up (like aforementioned Dark Solstice) and you get the actual game or subscription only after donating them huge wads of cash.

This touches a broader topic: I find such "charity" distasteful. Is one thing to live from donations and another to use them to startup a private business. I believe there is another word to sponsoring commercial endeavors: investment. As in, someone pools his resources into someone other's venture and gets more if it becomes successful. Or, at very least, as much. With Kickstarter it's more like "Thank you for your money, here's your keychain. Now fuck off and buy it with everyone else".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 05, 2012, 10:43:21 am »

As in, someone pools his resources into someone other's venture and gets more if it becomes successful. Or, at very least, as much. With Kickstarter it's more like "Thank you for your money, here's your keychain. Now fuck off and buy it with everyone else".

This is what KS has been since its inception. It was lost behind the glow of fuzzy, feel-good projects giving us games that we've wanted to see for years....but the instant you take away that connection or appreciation of the project, it really does come back down to investing in a no-profit-sharing enterprise.

That's why I'm not going out of my way to fund everything that I find interesting.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 10:53:53 am by nenjin »

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1152 on: June 05, 2012, 12:01:53 pm »

So you don't think they should sell the product after they make it? :S What, so only the people who donate to the kickstarter should get it? Personally I view kickstarter more as a kind of extended pre-order system. Pre-pre-order, if you will. Then again I think I've "donated" to two projects via kickstarter, Wasteland 2 and Nekro.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #1153 on: June 05, 2012, 12:04:13 pm »

So you don't think they should sell the product after they make it? :S What, so only the people who donate to the kickstarter should get it? Personally I view kickstarter more as a kind of extended pre-order system. Pre-pre-order, if you will. Then again I think I've "donated" to two projects via kickstarter, Wasteland 2 and Nekro.

Ditto. I was going to say, a lot of projects that I've seen have used the game as a reward (often at a discount from the eventual intended price). 'Here's your keychain, now fuck off' is inaccurate for the majority of projects.

Gantolandon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 05, 2012, 12:35:06 pm »

All right, I will try to say it in another way:

I would gladly (and often do) donate to a project which, after completion, is available for everyone free of charge. As in, doing something for the others. But I don't see the point of supporting private businesses without any tangible return. In the same way, I would be perfectly fine with volunteering in a soup kitchen, but I'd never work without being paid for McDonald's. That's the situation I meant with "Here's your keychain, now fuck off".

The situation, when you have to buy the game after kickstarting it, is the sign of utter disrespect from the developer. It doesn't mean that I consider it a valid return of an investment.

Edit: It appears that "reiterate" doesn't mean what I thought it does. Sorry if this sounded rude.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:40:53 pm by Gantolandon »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 213