Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wear your goddamn uniform!  (Read 720 times)

santheocles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Wear your goddamn uniform!
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:48:08 am »

Hey there.

I'm a bit exasperated about my dwarves-at-arms unwillingness to wear their equipment all the time.

I got them in a squad. I checked their schedules and it says Inactive=Uniformed on every single month of both default alert states.

They still dump their armor and weapons whenever they don't have any concrete orders (move, kill etc.)

I set up a barracks, and now they do their "individual combat drill"-thing, and they do wear equipment then... but if I remember correctly, there is some bug with infinite training, correct? Did I miss something in the squad screen, or does anyone else notice that behavior?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Re: Wear your goddamn uniform!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:15:35 am »

It might be worth switching them from inactive to active on the 's'quads menu. If they equip up then, maybe they are just confused about uniform/schedules. Can you do that and tell us what happens?

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 07:21:26 am »

Military equipment is still a little wonky imo, I simply keep the military active nonstop, have 'em train at a spot you'd want them keeping watch.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 07:47:22 am »

Do any of them have mining, woodcutting, or hunting enabled as labors?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:03 am »

Do any of them have mining, woodcutting, or hunting enabled as labors?

this is the most common problem for something like this (although I'm still suspect a workaround exists).  also, how complicated is your uniform?  is it one piece of armor per body part or do you have a lot of layers?  if they wear part but not all of the uniform, it might have to do with that, which should be fixed if you go to each dwarf individually on the equipment screen and toggle 'replace clothing' ON.  if they're constantly switching equipement its related to newer, higher value equipment being made, or possibly two dwarves assigned to wear the same item. 

given the description of your problem it sounds most like a mining/woodcutting/hunting thing.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

santheocles

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 02:27:33 pm »

The mining/hunting thing did the trick, many thanks! It took quite a bit of rearranging schedules, deleting and recreating squads and cursing, but they hold onto their weapons and armor now (except one guy who stubbornly refuses to take up a shield).

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 03:50:20 pm »

The mining/hunting thing did the trick, many thanks! It took quite a bit of rearranging schedules, deleting and recreating squads and cursing, but they hold onto their weapons and armor now (except one guy who stubbornly refuses to take up a shield).
Check the health screen for the dwarf- if it says "ability to grasp impaired" then he may have nerve damage in one of his hands, preventing him from using the hand to hold equipment.