Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Upgraded PC  (Read 646 times)

mogthew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Upgraded PC
« on: March 16, 2012, 05:24:14 am »

So, just recently I upgraded my pc (partly because of DF lol) and I now have a 2700k.

My problemis that I have an old mobo with a phenom 965 now. I can't sell it, because i don't have any boxes or warranty for either of them. So.. I was reading a thread the other day in which people were talking about having fps < 10 and figured, why not give it away?

Last time i checked (last week, when i changed parts) it was working fine. I won't say that when it arrives it will be working fine, but it SHOULD work fine. I won't provide any ram/hdd/anything else, and I'm not going to ask for money for postage, because then people will probably think it's a scam. So, I live in Australia, if you do too, and have a massively underpowered pc, and would like something better, let me know.

I need to get rid of this anyway, and no one I know could use it so yeah... Alternatively, if anyone knows any good causes for this (toady or his test team? IDK who they are) let me know.

EDIT: Don't be surprised if don't reply soon, logging off for the night now :)
EDIT2: For those wondering about the motherboard - http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3143#sp
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:22:25 pm by mogthew »

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Upgraded PC
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:10:24 am »

Ooh, a motherboard and a decent CPU, eh? I've been wanting to build myself a proper gaming computer, and that processor looks like it'd be a decent start. My current laptop (an Asus K60I) isn't that bad for DF, but the graphics unit on it is horribly underpowered (and isn't even a real graphics card), which causes issues for most other games.

Have you tried running Linux on that phenom of yours, by any chance? Any driver issues, or anything? I'm not an expert on hardware, although I've read that Nvidia provides better OpenGL performance than AMD's Radeon line does. But, that doesn't necessarily mean there'd be any issues running Linux on an AMD CPU, rather than an Intel CPU.

Anyway, I'm in Australia until mid-June, and living in Sydney. Based on the specs I found, it looks like that processor of yours would make a nice start towards building a proper gaming computer, which would definitely be appreciated :). I don't want to post my address publicly, but if you're willing to send that chip to me, I'll gladly PM you my mailing address.

Although, since you mention "good causes", I feel I should also mention that you might be able to donate it to a hackerspace somewhere, or someone wanting to host a game server in Australia. I know there's a hackerspace in Sydney, and I think I've heard of one in Melbourne too, although somehow I get the feeling that motherboards and CPUs aren't the sort of thing that they're in need of, most of the time. As for Toady, he's in the USA, so postage might be kinda high, even if he did want the chip for something.

Echo51

• Bay Watcher
  • The amazing random pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 08:48:21 am »

Please remember to specify if it has IDE/PATA plugs, what RAM it uses(DDR2/DDR3) and if it requires the 8pin CPU power plug, along with number of PCI/PCI-E slots.

Better yet, specify the motherboard model number :D
Fire is awesome in this game. I should start another one.
No one with appropriate skills, so a bunch of jewelers are being promoted to Doctors. Hey, don't look at me like that. They know plenty about chiseling things off.

mogthew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:16:14 pm »

Had a look on it, it's a Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H : http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3143#sp

Requires ddr3 ram(4 exp slots), has IDE and sata support. (What's psata?)

EDIT:  To the linguist - no I've not tried any linux based systems on it, I use my pc primarily for gaming (and a little programming) so it's been running windows the whole time. I just found the driver cd too, so will include that for whoever ends up taking it. Also, what is a hackerspace?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:21:56 pm by mogthew »

mogthew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:40:15 pm »

This thread is pretty much done then I think. Will be in contact with TheLinguist :)