Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma mist now sets creatures on fire  (Read 1002 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Magma mist now sets creatures on fire
« on: March 15, 2012, 10:38:19 pm »

Back for 31.25, I posted a thread where I tested magma mist ( http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88115.0 ). I thought it wise to check the results in 34.05, considering the changes to fire damage.

Magma mist now sets creatures on fire instantly, similar to touching magma in the current 34.xx versions. The burning is lethal for various creatures, including dwarves and elephants. Since magma mist is only caused by cave-ins, the only practical weaponization I can think of is enhancing cave-in traps to become lethal fireball traps. This method won't destroy metal objects that regular magma dousing would (i.e. copper and silver), enhancing goblinite collection.

It could probably be used to ignite flammable objects and then toss them through the air due to the cave-in dust.

Anyone else have ideas?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Magma mist now sets creatures on fire
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 10:44:23 pm »

I vote for setting zombies on fire and destroying the corpse in one fell swoop.  Also sounds like an amazing way to deal with sieges.  I can imagine a magma moat being weaponized further than it already is.

Aviator CJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:57:17 pm »

Does a magmafall create magma mist the way a waterfall creates water mist? If so, magma landmines would be even more hilarious.
!!Science!!: Knowledge through magma

There's safe. Then there's unsafe. And then there's the average dwarf fort, which remains unrated because the OSHA inspector flatly refused to go anywhere within a dozen miles of the place.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:00:40 pm »

Since magma mist is only caused by cave-ins,

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:38:07 pm »

Since magma mist is only caused by cave-ins,
Your puny physics cannot stop the might of all dwarfkind!

malroth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 01:08:24 am »

Of course a cave in could be caused from something as simple as a dwarf attempting to build a floor supported only by a bridge
Why couldn't my vampire Hammerer eat someone useless, like a migrant? Instead, she went after my only gemcutter.. but sadly there were no witnesses, so I convicted someone's pet duck as the murderer.  It got off easy, with no beatings or jail time.  >.<

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 03:58:20 am »

The game Stronghold featured "pitch ditches", long trenches full of flammable liquid that could engulf an invading horde in a raging inferno. 

Hidden magma channels with floors over them could be constructed, with a second level of floors built on top of supports.  If those supports are collapsed at an opportune moment, you could catch entire squads in searing magma mist. Since the floors would be destroyed, it'll change the pathing of the invading force, so anything that did survive could be made to go around and approach the fort from an entirely different angle.

This sounds absolutely lovely to my ears, and now I regret deciding not to build a magma pump stack in my current fortress.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:10:59 am »

Code: [Select]
  _
  I
_____
##~##
#####
A side view, pretend that I is actually connected to the floor below it.  This would, as quantumtroll said, allow for a walkable area to suddenly become an ‼unwalkable area‼ immediately burning foes and messing up their pathing.

In fact I really like this idea.  You could rig it to a narrow bridge and put the trigger as a pressure plate on the other side of the bridge, which would be rather effective at killing sieges and be hilarious.  Plus, build it from wood and it cleans itself!  Should consume 2 wood per use, for the bottom and top floors.  The mechanism and wood used for the support will deconstruct and be placed onto dry land (although most likely burned and scattered by the cave-in).

none0000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 09:29:10 am »

I vote for setting zombies on fire and destroying the corpse in one fell swoop.  Also sounds like an amazing way to deal with sieges.  I can imagine a magma moat being weaponized further than it already is.

Unfortunatly setting zombies on fire doesnt always kill them. In my current fort I am surrounded by over 200 zombie werepanthers and decided that magma was the solution. I ended up surrounded by 200 flaming zombie werepathers, who would set on fire anyone that tried to fight them. As fun as that was, it killed the fortress with lag from all the smoke so I had to savescum.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:38:22 am »

Hmm, that's a shame.  Still I'm sure the cave-in explosion would kill the zombies.  Zombies aren't exactly durable.