Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants not becoming part of community.  (Read 3046 times)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Migrants not becoming part of community.
« on: March 15, 2012, 08:42:11 pm »

I've set up a fortress, and it's doing quite well. I just got my second wave of migrants just now, but I still only have the original 7 in my population. All the other migrants, and any migrant who arrives, is represented as a @ and will not do anything but dick about my fortress walls. They don't eat or drink, just stand perfectly still.

And they wont become part of my community. What should I do?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants not becoming part of community.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 08:46:49 pm »

Weird. What jobs do they have?

I occasionally get some migrants with the "Trader" job that act like that, though it's rare. Never had more than 4 at the same time.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 08:49:06 pm »

pretty standard jobs, engraver, waxworker, fish cleaner. I can't look at anything more about them, however. Can't see their invent

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 08:54:15 pm »

Well, I've always believed that all migrants were misanthropes anyway.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 08:55:20 pm »

Have any mods installed?
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:57:13 pm »

Nope. Nothing.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:44 pm »

I'd say you came across a wacky bug. Take your save and throw it up on the bug tracker.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:58:58 pm »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 11:16:10 am »

Edit: I don't think it is a bug, I think it means there is no designated meeting area. Migrants will mill randomly wherever they showed up until they do. I also find there is a big delay at getting them to work until they do visit your meeting area. I've seen this dozens of times (I am surprised others have not)

You can designate one over empty space with zone menu (i), or designate a dining room or well as one through the q menu

It is also possible a bunch are "traders" which is a confirmed bug or merchant type creatures fake-joining your fort
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:21:13 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:19:45 am »

It is not a bug people, it just means he has no designated meeting area. Migrants will mill randomly wherever they showed up until they do. I also find there is a big delay at getting them to work until they do visit your meeting area. I've seen this dozens of times (I am surprised others have not)

You can designate one over empty space with zone menu (i), or designate a dining room or well as one through the q menu

He was referring to '7 in his population' tho.. Migrants without a meeting area will still count as population, or not?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 11:22:05 am »

It is not a bug people, it just means he has no designated meeting area. Migrants will mill randomly wherever they showed up until they do. I also find there is a big delay at getting them to work until they do visit your meeting area. I've seen this dozens of times (I am surprised others have not)

He was referring to '7 in his population' tho.. Migrants without a meeting area will still count as population, or not?

Good point, now I am starting to wonder
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 11:31:56 am »

I'm pretty sure that if they're showing up as @ and can't be interacted with in any way, then it's NOT just a lack of a meeting area (although that could be a contributing factor, potentially).

Bug! Upload the save and file a report.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 11:59:08 am »

If they're purple @s, they are buggy traders. Just ignore them. If an ambush shows up near them, they'll do a nice job of getting the ambush to decloak early and then keep the ambush occupied for a while with Benny Hill antics. You might want to go ahead and make a couple of coffins for them ahead of time, since you'll probably need them eventually.

If they're normal looking dwarves with flashing gray Xs, my guess is a lack of a meeting area. Migrants don't become part of your fort until they report to a meeting area. Try putting one in your military the moment he shows up at the edge of the screen, he won't be on the list. If there is no meeting area, they don't know what to do and just hang out where they show up.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:04:35 pm »

As he said, they're @ symbols, but have normal migrant professions. I encountered this too some time ago. Still not sure what to make of it, myself.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.