Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Candy strands won't be turned into wafers?  (Read 943 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Candy strands won't be turned into wafers?
« on: March 15, 2012, 06:48:01 pm »

I have charcoal, and I have strands of candy, but I can't make it into wafers for some reason. What do?

EDIT: I have no hospital, and the looms are not making it into cloth.

When I try to make strands into wafers, the option is red and opens a menu saying the ingredients/reagents.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:50:14 pm by Sting_Auer »
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Candy strands won't be turned into wafers?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 07:11:48 pm »

Do you have a hospital? Did your dwarves take all your candyfloss to stock the hospital? Is it all woven into your dwarves wounds now? It happens.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:22:39 pm »

If it isn't any of the above, and it is stored remarkably far away from the smelters, try moving it closer.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 12:01:22 pm »

If it isn't any of the above, and it is stored remarkably far away from the smelters, try moving it closer.

They aren't very far away. The strands  are stored 1 level above and about 20 tiles to the north.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Zahariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 01:03:24 pm »

The hospital is my first guess. My next is as follows: do you have "auto loom all thread" on? The weavers might be stealing the candyfloss to make useless candyfloss cloth before the smelters get a chance at it. Just turn off autoloom when you're working with candyfloss.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 02:44:11 pm »

*sigh*

"I can't do this" is not a very helpful problem description. More helpful is "I tried this and saw this response. So I tried this other thing and saw this other response. Why isn't it working?" That way we know what you've tried and can suggest other things. With what you've given us, all we can do is make wild guesses like "is it in your hospital?" or "Is it sewn into wounds?" or "is it too far away?" or "Is your computer plugged in?"

So, what have you tried to do to cause your dwarves to make wafers, and what did you see when you did it?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 06:50:28 pm »

I have no hospital, and the looms are not making it into cloth.

When I try to make strands into wafers, the option is red and opens a menu saying the ingredients/reagents.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 07:20:58 pm »

That happens sometimes, though I haven't seen it since the new version came out. Use a manager and order some. After some are made, it should light up normally.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 10:53:34 pm »

I bet the smelter is in a burrow, with either the addy or the charcoal is outside it
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 11:47:46 pm »

I bet the smelter is in a burrow, with either the addy or the charcoal is outside it

No burrows either.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 12:13:53 am »

Do you have a skilled dwarf available to do that task?  I always forget it takes a special skill, to check in Therapist.  Knutor

PS.  It sometimes shows the components, not sure why.  But if you have a manager, you can still get them to do it, assign it in manager.  That's only way I know to get beekeeper to actually do his job, is via the manager.  Maybe the first couple extractions, need a coffee cup holding supervisor shouting at them. Know what I mean?  *shrug*
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 12:17:37 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.