Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Help with starting skills/equipment  (Read 3731 times)

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
Re: Help with starting skills/equipment
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2006, 01:16:00 am »

Incidentally, based on my experience, "Peaceful" and "Serene" areas are more dangerous than "Wilderness" and "Calm" areas -- in "Serene" areas you get unicorns, which will kick your ass; elephants, which will kick your ass; and at least in my game, mandrills, who will kick your ass, and then pick your bodies clean to further spite you.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2006, 04:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Action:
<STRONG>When the metalsmith comes, make him into a brewer, fill those barrels of dwarven wine.

You'll need atleast 30 plump helmets and 50 dwarven wine to make it through the winter. (When the traders leave)[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Captain_Action ]</STRONG>

You don't actually need the wine.  At least at first, a lack of alcohol will slow your dwarves down a little, but won't cause any serious problems...  and that wine is being distilled from plump helmets, which will cause serious problems if you run out of them.  You definitely want a steady supply of it later on, but it might not be your highest priority in the first winter.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2006, 04:54:00 am »

Yeah, I barely even bother with wine until probably the second summer, unless I have a lot of excess food in spring for some reason

They may work slower, but at least they're not starving to death and beating the stuffing out of each other

Insalubrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2006, 11:57:00 am »

Alright, downloaded the new version and giving this another try... and I have another question.  How do I designate dwarves to harvest wood from the wagons?

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2006, 12:11:00 pm »

just select the wagon (q or k or t... not much help am i XD) and dismantle/destroy it.. sooner or later a dwarf will get around to breaking it up and you'll see 3 lumps of wood on the ground

Insalubrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »

Awesome, I ripped the wagons apart and got a bunch of wood.  Now I'm trying to make some sleeping barracks.

Alright, another question:  How big do my dwarves like bedrooms to be?

Would something like this be good?

code:

xxx
 xxx
 xxx
  x  
xxxxxx etc...  
  x
 xxx
 xxx
 xxx

[ August 14, 2006: Message edited by: Insalubrious ]

toad: coad tag reformat

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

ussdefiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

3x3 is good for your basic dwarf, with a bed at first and a cabinet + coffer/chest later.

The nobility will be demanding fancier quarters  , but you don't have to worry about them for a while.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »

If you can afford large rooms with the way you play, that's good, but all they really need is a bed, a coffer and a cabinet in a 1x3 with a door to be quite happy.  They won't complain if you stick them in communal quarters before the economy starts, but afterward they'll start to want places to store their possessions.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Insalubrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2006, 12:46:00 pm »

Maybe I'll start them like this
code:

XXX
  X
XXXXX etc.
  X
 XXX

and just fill the rooms out later..    :cool:

toad: code tag reformat

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2006, 01:03:00 pm »

My way for bedroom blocks

code:

..xx.xx.xx...xx.xx.xx..
..xx.xx.xx...xx.xx.xx..
x.x..x..x.xxx.x..x..x.x
xxxxxxxxxxx0xxxxxxxxxxx
x.x..x..x.xxx.x..x..x.x
..xx.xx.xx...xx.xx.xx..
..xx.xx.xx...xx.xx.xx..

This is for 14 dwarves, so in the beginning i just mine half of it for my starters.
And 0 in the center is the well, since most of dwarves get thirsty after sleep.   :)

toad: coad tag reformat

Insalubrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2006, 01:22:00 pm »

So, do the dwarves like larger rooms, or are they pretty content with just the bare minimum?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2006, 01:25:00 pm »

They are content with the bare minimum, but not very resilient when bad things happen in their [v p z] list.  If you have more good thoughts in the list, they won't become so unhappy, and nicer rooms are a good way to deal with this.  One early trick is to have a really good dining room for all of them to share.  They get very impressed when they eat there, and the thought can help them weather future trauma.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Insalubrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »

How do you impress them with a good dining room?  By detailing the walls?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »

Yes, and put your best furniture in your dining area (ok, so you probably don't have any spare time at the start to build extra tables/chairs until you get a good one, but put up your fanciest doors at each entrance to the dining area). Like I said, I like to spend a lot of points in skills, so my carpenter and mason have really high skills and can produce nice stuff right off the bat. Different quality items are shown by symbols around the name, like "slate table" is a basic table, "-slate table-" is a slightly better quality table, then "+slate table+", "*slate table*" and so on. There's a list of what each symbol means in the help file.

Insalubrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2006, 02:14:00 pm »

I just want to thank everyone again for helping me out so much.  It's coming together.  I have another question.  How do I get a fishery built?  I realize I have to give a dwart fishing/fish cleaning, but do I also have to set them with carpentry or masonry?  If I set them at fishing, all they do is fish and fish and fish, and don't seem to want to do anything with all the turtles they've caught.

edit: finally figured out that I had to set up a dwarf with fish cleaning and he went and set it up.

Pages: 1 [2] 3