Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pop Cap doesn't work?  (Read 2453 times)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pop Cap doesn't work?
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:39:38 pm »

So I've got my limit set at 30, had 32 dwarves, was a little annoyed when another 9 turned up, as that wave included a vampire, but I reasoned it was due to the incredible number of children I had.

Now another %$# 20 have arrived, bringing my fortress to 62. 

Is the Population Cap broken, or something more sinister at work?

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Pop Cap doesn't work?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:43:28 pm »

Just aim at a lower number.

I have popcap at 30 right now, and I expect 50. Just kill the useless migrants that show up afterwards.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:05 pm »

The population cap appears to only be checked against your population when the dwarf caravan (liaison?) arrives (leaves?) As such, if you're 1 person below the cap, you might get 3 more waves of 20 dwarves.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:54:42 pm »

Sounds likely, but this latest lot arrived while the caravan & liaison were there, and it was over the limit then, too!

Perhaps I shouldn't have started decorating the gold beds....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 06:51:15 pm »

The caravan only reports your situation back to the home land after it leaves the map.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:23:11 pm »

The caravan only reports your situation back to the home land after it leaves the map.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 07:56:26 pm »

:D

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 01:31:17 pm »

So the goal here is to kill the caravan?  I was considering this until I read the post "Axe Lord Flipped Out!!" basically killing the caravan and suffering a loyalty cascade and I was curious if I just locked the caravan in the trade depot until they starved to death if that would be a more advantageous, if less humane, way of keeping them from reporting back.  Or possibly building the trade depot under a lake and drowning them, something along those lines.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 02:30:00 pm »

If you want the migrants to stop coming, you want the caravan to report back that you are already over your population cap.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:14 pm »

Ahhh, ok, I was thinking that they were making it back and reporting that I DID need migrants.  So if the occasional trade caravan just happens to accidentally die say due to drowning then all of their trade goods are belong to us?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 02:52:09 pm »

Indeed. Although I dunno, there's some funkiness with caravan item ownership. And all those items will still be marked as foreign.

If you repeatedly do that you may find the caravans getting smaller and smaller, as better caravans depend on successful trades, and I think claiming all their crap if they've died or you've deconstructed the depot can? count as theft.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 02:54:32 pm »

Yeah, when it comes to abandoned trade goods, finders is keepers.

It kind of takes the fun out of things, though. Plus, if caravans to your fort consistently lose money (and having everyone drown and all the stuff get stolen counts as losing money), then future caravans will carry less stuff. It's the sort of thing that many people think is fun when they start out, but quickly get bored once they learn to survive well enough that they don't need to do it any more.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.