Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Contractual Boss Immunity  (Read 6346 times)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Contractual Boss Immunity
« on: March 15, 2012, 02:59:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Size = small
250 year history
Everything medium except the Number of Beasts which is Very High

Maybe the large beasts needs some form of Contractual Boss Immunity. Like: 'They are not allowed to die until year X'.
Sure, there is plenty left to kill, but after an average of 126 years the most interesting beasts are all dead.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Contractual Boss Immunity
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:09:24 pm »

You can change that in the Advance World Gen. In the default world gen the Mega Beasts start to get culled at like 150 years. By bumping this and the mega beast number you should get plenty of named beasts with rich history who you can slay at your lesiure.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:16:03 pm »

I'm actually trying to stay away from the Advanced Worldgen. Too complicated.
Each time i try to use it i end up with a frozen wasteland/planet-wide desert and errors about peak numbers.

Once the AWg becomes simplified and more natural i'll give it a go, but until that time i'll stick with the basics.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 03:28:18 pm »

So the option you're looking for already more or less exists, but you just don't want to you use it...?

You should check out the advanced world gen. It can actually be really interesting. Lots of things to play with. Although try just changing one or two values at a time. Everything has side effects (butterflies and all that) and that sounds like what you're hitting with your ice ball / deserts.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:35:53 pm »

I'd prefer if the Megabeasts survived World Gen by virtue of being... Megabeasts

Over magical protection.

Some of the kills don't even make any sense.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:42:38 pm »

I'd prefer if the Megabeasts survived World Gen by virtue of being... Megabeasts

Over magical protection.

Some of the kills don't even make any sense.

That would require DF combat to make sense.

Someone in the Adventure Mode forum was just talking about how one of his adventurers died when a (werecursed) baby punched his head off.

It's just how DF works - combat's all just a crapshoot, and eventually, even gods crap out.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:50:25 pm »

Someone in the Adventure Mode forum was just talking about how one of his adventurers died when a (werecursed) baby punched his head off.

If someone in that thread hasn't replied with a quote something like...
Adventurer: Whosealiddtlebabyden...  whosealiddle<URK!>
...then I shall be sadly dissapointed

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 08:10:54 am »

It's just how DF works - combat's all just a crapshoot, and eventually, even gods crap out.

Though if the gods were implemented in DF, I would hope they would have a [CANT_DIE] tag or at least some kind of tag that would make them invulnerable to being one-shot. A god should either be absolutely unkillable or absolutely epic to fight.

But yeah, combat in DF is a tricky business, especially when you don't wear armor.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 08:51:35 am »

Technically speaking the gods are "implemented". Back in the old days they were there but had no power/ up to debate if they existed (sound familar?). Now we've got gods that can cast curses and not much else. So they're on their way to becoming really fleshed out.

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 09:35:06 am »

True. I guess I used the wrong wording. I was meaning if we were given the ability to meet them face-to-face. Which would be cool. And then the community would try to figure out how to kill them. Because that's what we do, right?
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 10:49:39 am »

True. I guess I used the wrong wording. I was meaning if we were given the ability to meet them face-to-face. Which would be cool. And then the community would try to figure out how to kill them. Because that's what we do, right?
The deities should be unkillable. Since they are deities after all.
But thatīs a different thread entirely.

Letīs stick to the megabeasts here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 11:59:37 am »

Dieties die all the time in both fiction and mythology.

Mind you I guess whether or not dieties could die could change world to world... and what actually slaying one does as well (Do they come back later, become reborn, spawn new dieties, become a creature of death, or just simply die?)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 12:55:18 pm »

I once proposed that a deity's power should be directly proportional to the amount of worship it receives. And deities that do not receive worship simply fade out of existence.

I still stand by that proposal.
Because this way the game will cull on unimportant deities, cleaning up the world. And "killing" a deity would then be possible by massacring all of it's followers.

And given the polytheistic nature of Dwarf Fort, a pecking order could be established among the various deities. In which when a deity "dies" a power vacuum appears. This would call for a complex political system among the deities, though.

Also, how awesome would it be to have a "dying" deity ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL create an avatar of itself in a final attempt to continue it's existence/kill you.

But like i said:
But thatīs a different thread entirely.

Letīs stick to the megabeasts here.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 01:02:50 pm »

Also, how awesome would it be to have a "dying" deity ASSUME DIRECT CONTROL create an avatar of itself in a final attempt to continue it's existence/kill you.
By becoming (unintentionally) a tortoise, and then getting itself picked up by an eagle in order to be dropped directly on the head of the False Prophet who threatens your very existence by being about to kill your very last believer, right? ;)

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 10:18:05 pm »

You can change that in the Advance World Gen. In the default world gen the Mega Beasts start to get culled at like 150 years. By bumping this and the mega beast number you should get plenty of named beasts with rich history who you can slay at your lesiure.
What is this parameter's name?
Pages: [1] 2