Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Private Spaceflight Thread: Antares rocket launch successful  (Read 27587 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

NASA jsut tweeted saying it's reported to 9:10.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: SpaceX to the ISS; About to berth with the ISS
« Reply #91 on: May 25, 2012, 08:34:54 am »

Berthing will occur within the next hour, likely within a few minutes; again, the place to watch it is NASA's feed here:
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html
The 'go' for capture has been given; it's grappling time!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 08:43:59 am by alway »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SpaceX to the ISS; About to berth with the ISS
« Reply #92 on: May 25, 2012, 08:44:07 am »

Good timing on my part.  After navigating the vaguaries of my browser[1], I hear and see loads of people doing the Go, Go, Go formula.  Ah, there we are, very nearly the money-shot.

[1] Alt-Tabbing between various window3s gets ignored, accepted late, then r3-done, meaning I never know which browser window is going to popup, the one with the SpaceX page or the one with the NASA one

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SpaceX to the ISS; Grabbed and about to berth
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2012, 08:51:51 am »

Dragon has been grabbed from ISS's robotic arm!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 25, 2012, 08:53:50 am »

Damn, I missed it. Silly japanese and their pimped lab, I  was there for the orginal time. :/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:05:23 am by Sheb »

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2012, 09:04:36 am »

Damn, I missed it. Sily japanese and their pimped lab, I  was there for the orginal time. :/
I couldn't get NASATV working while I was successfully watching the SpaceX one, now I've managed to switch to that and have used the roll-back option to get to a point where they're still talking about still to reach the 10m point.  I don't know how long ago you can get back, but you can probably have a good look at every bit that interests you, still, without resorting to YoutTube.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2012, 09:05:06 am »

Yeah, I'm doing it right now, but... It ain't the same!

I just realized I spent 2 hours watching someone really slowly park his vehicle. It's funny how multi-billions dollars vehicle, giant robotic arm and SPACE!!! can make the most mundame things look exciting. Cannot wait to look at people space emptying the space trunk of their space car.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:24:09 am by Sheb »

Mattasmack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SpaceX to the ISS; IN SPESS! Launch vid in OP.
« Reply #97 on: May 25, 2012, 11:24:04 am »

Dragon is now way out in front of the ISS, and has climbed to a higher orbit so it can fall back and then approach the station from out of the sun! Dakka-dakka-dakka-dakka... KA-BOOM!
FTFY. ;)

Eh .... what?  Is that a song reference?  Kids these days with their dakka-dakkas ...

Anyway, that video (which I'd watched earlier) could be considered either a total non-event or awesome, depending on what you know about the situation.  Very similar to the "pale blue dot" photo from Voyager, in some ways.  (But the images up to and including the 'grab' itself are probably going to be a bit more iconic, I feel.  Oooh, the anticipation...)

I'm a fan of the 'pale blue dot' photo too!  I've been suprised at how non-interested my officemates (who are all engineers/scientists) have been about all of this.  I'll mention what's happening to someone and they'll come over and look at the video feed for a second, and then just shrug ... yep, it's a dot!  It's odd in a way that part of what makes it so interesting is the fact that it's supposed to become a non-event.

Oh, and Wooooo, Dragon's berthed!  It's funny how the Canadarm is looped around the capsule.  I assume they're not planning on using it for anything else while the Dragon is there, but I wonder if they could even extricate it if they had to.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 25, 2012, 11:42:49 am »

I just realized I spent 2 hours watching someone really slowly park his vehicle. It's funny how multi-billions dollars vehicle, giant robotic arm and SPACE!!! can make the most mundame things look exciting. Cannot wait to look at people space emptying the space trunk of their space car.
If somebody hasn't taken the footage and made, say a full minute of slow motion into a second or five of actually visible replay (creatively splicing out the cuts to non-footage, e.g. of the control centre, in the process), then I'd say that a trick that's been missed (by a space-geek with a load of patience, on behalf of space-geeks with much less...).

(No, Mattasmack, not a song reference, just a memory of childhood games[1] and comics...)

[1] Before *shock, horror* computer games!  Like outdoors!  With real people!  Who you knew and went to school with!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: SpaceX to the ISS; it's there
« Reply #99 on: May 25, 2012, 11:56:21 am »

Agh! I slept in and missed the docking! D:
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2012, 12:49:53 pm »

Still smug about being sent into space on the first dragon flight :P.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2012, 12:58:54 pm »

Sorry everyone, but I'm going to have to close the thread. This post has officially won, and you can all go home now. :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2012, 01:04:48 pm »

whut is this?
Read the username :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2012, 01:07:13 pm »

Or for those who didn't follow the previous launches: http://www.spacex.com/press.php?page=20101209

Mattasmack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2012, 01:22:05 pm »

(golf clap)

BTW, in the press conference today Musk was asked about the cheese.  Apparently they still have it in the factory.  Encased in lucite, he said, which keeps the smell from getting out.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:28:03 pm by Mattasmack »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13