Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: Private Spaceflight Thread: Antares rocket launch successful  (Read 27575 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Private Spaceflight Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2013, 04:27:57 am »

Deep Space Industries will start prospecting asteroids in 2015:

http://www.space.com/19368-asteroid-mining-deep-space-industries.html

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2013, 09:21:04 pm »

Something interesting:
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-02/mysterious-mars-mission-announcement-coming-next-week-what-could-it-be
http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/21/17038750-how-a-millionaire-spaceflier-intends-to-send-astronauts-past-mars-in-2018?lite
A new mysterious nonprofit organization called the Inspiration Mars Foundation is holding a press conference next week to announce a round trip to the Red Planet. The “Mission For America” would launch in January 2018, and go to Mars and back in 501 days.
Apparently the plan is for two astronauts to ride in a modified SpaceX Dragon capsule, swinging past Mars and coming right back by using the planets' alignment for a free trajectory home. So no landing appears in the cards.
More info to come soon; keep an eye out for this.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2013, 03:45:24 am »

They're going to lock 2 people in a tin can barely larger than what the Moon missions got, for 500 days. Likely without exessive medical or radiation protection, and certainly without back-up's. Call me a sceptic, but I doubt it'll ever launch.

((Oh, and why the Americocentrism. Can't we just cooperate for once.))
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:47:09 am by 10ebbor10 »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2013, 06:20:49 am »

This next decade is going to be an interesting one.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2013, 08:51:20 am »

They're going to lock 2 people in a tin can barely larger than what the Moon missions got, for 500 days. Likely without exessive medical or radiation protection, and certainly without back-up's. Call me a sceptic, but I doubt it'll ever launch.

((Oh, and why the Americocentrism. Can't we just cooperate for once.))

My thoughts exactly. It's not the same as the other thread on someone attempting it is it?

Also!
This next decade is going to be an interesting one.

That is the new "so- it has come to this". http://xkcd.com/1022/
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2013, 08:58:25 am »

Nope, this one is more minimalistic. (also more realistic).

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2013, 06:38:27 am »

don't see how they'll fit a 500 days of supplies, life support equipment. (dragon capsule doesn't have a toilet or showers etc that i know of) into that pod. That being said, if they can physically fit everything that they need (waste reprocessing and the food) into the capsule, i'm sure they can find a couple of people who are crazy enough to just jump in the pod without showers or any other luxuries. if it means that they can go to mars. Heck i'd even probably do it.
Magma is overrated.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2013, 06:39:26 am »

maybe they will shower them in liquid nitrogen, and then hope they can be brought back to life when they come back?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2013, 08:14:58 am »

don't see how they'll fit a 500 days of supplies, life support equipment. (dragon capsule doesn't have a toilet or showers etc that i know of) into that pod. That being said, if they can physically fit everything that they need (waste reprocessing and the food) into the capsule, i'm sure they can find a couple of people who are crazy enough to just jump in the pod without showers or any other luxuries. if it means that they can go to mars. Heck i'd even probably do it.
It's a modified, extended capsule. (Quite a bit larger than the original thing). It also hasn't entered development yet.

Oh, and you're not going to Mars. It's only a flyby. (Ie, asides from taking pretty pictures, not doing anything usefull)

Edit: Also, no spaceship/station has showers.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:30:49 am by 10ebbor10 »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2013, 08:52:04 am »

NASA allocates 1.7 kilos per person per day of food and packaging so you are probably looking at 2 metric tons of food and structure to hold the food.  I'm tempted to say grow food along the way but it's hard to imagine feeding people with less then two metric tons of equipment.  Those 1.7 kilos don't include water.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2013, 04:04:45 pm »

I figure a lot of agencies are going to try to do something special for the 2018 conjunction, because whoever does the most impressive thing is going to be the group that is in the strongest position to get funding for the 2030s conjunction, which is when the REALLY cool stuff is going to happen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2013, 04:17:37 pm »

I figure a lot of agencies are going to try to do something special for the 2018 conjunction, because whoever does the most impressive thing is going to be the group that is in the strongest position to get funding for the 2030s conjunction, which is when the REALLY cool stuff is going to happen.
Not really. The conjunctions aren't that usefull. The only thing they do is give a free return ticket. (Which means that you can stop to do anything) Even dropping something/someone of is problematic, as that is a significant change in mass, which you need to compensate for. (Also, only one try before you're flinged away again).

As far as I know, no large spaceagency is planning anything.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2013, 05:04:33 pm »

Im kinda aiming for working in this field.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 01, 2013, 09:18:03 am »

another launch from SpaceX today. as usual, there will be a livestream, at http://www.spacex.com/webcast/ . it just went live. (although there is nothing to see at the moment)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 01, 2013, 09:59:19 am »

another launch from SpaceX today. as usual, there will be a livestream, at http://www.spacex.com/webcast/ . it just went live. (although there is nothing to see at the moment)

Always amusing to watch engineers unaccustomed to public attention thrust into the role as live show hosts.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13