Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Are vampires much of a threat to a fortress?  (Read 12898 times)

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Are vampires much of a threat to a fortress?
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 11:58:39 am »

By uniform maybe just something simple like cloaks with hoods, maybe masks too. They could either claim them or possible even make them clandestinely (would have to be out of something common to prevent them using all your adamantinium cloth).

Should I suggest this in the suggestions? I imagine there's already a fair few vampire suggestions and there does seem to be some controversy about the actual implementation of suggestions going off the future of the fortress thread.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 03:31:41 pm »

b) the vampire trys to seduce\charm the sheriff for freedom (if opposite sex).

Considering that nearly my entire military (male and female) are wearing leather dresses and carrying iron whips, I don't see why the "opposite sex" requirement has any purpose in Dwarf Fortress.

Physical attraction has always been more than just what someone or something is wearing.   I feel sorry for anyone who makes romantic decisions only on what is being worn.

Meanwhile, I feel sorry for anyone who makes romantic decisions only on what gender the other individual is.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 04:41:08 pm »

Meanwhile, I feel sorry for anyone who makes romantic decisions only on what gender the other individual is.
For the vast majority of the world it's not the only decision, but it's a one of the many requirements.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 10:16:34 pm »

Of the 4 damned vampires wandering the catacombs I have, 2 have no hair descriptor and the other 2 have some form of white or grey, which may or may not be mixed with whatever the other color is. Most of my population has flax colored hair. One vampire has white mixed with gray hair, the other has gray mixed with flax. There doesn't seem to be any relation with skin color, though. One vampire has dark tan skin, one cinnamon, one dark peach, and the last pink.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 11:17:30 pm »

It would make sense that Toady would fix it so that vampire curses change eye colour. Most dwarves do tend to have the same skin and eye colour in a particular civilisation, but vampires are often portrayed as having weird eyes, like in Twilight.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2012, 03:21:28 am »

Depends which vampire myths Toady wants to apply or not. There's a lot of them.

I suggested not being able to move over moving water, but that one sank fast.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2012, 09:28:25 am »

I suggested not being able to move over moving water, but that one sank fast.

Pun intended?

Mostly, I'm happy with Toady's implementation of Vampires.
Rather have bugfixes than more nuanced strange behaviours.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2012, 12:20:38 pm »

I want to see them explode in sunlight :)

...or at very least be dark adapted.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2012, 04:38:39 pm »

I would like history to record their death, and only report them turning into a vampire if they've been discovered.  It's like the worst kept secret anywhere, also I've noticed the generated interactions do not animate them -- it gives them a syndrome, though creeping fogs use the animate interaction on living creatures.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2012, 12:33:03 am »

Just have the Migrant holding area have a drop shaft to drop the vampires into a tunnel leading to an airlock infested arena complete with living quarters, a gulag, various resupply, garbage, and transfer shafts. They can fight for your Dwarves entertainment, mine relentlessly, then haul it all to a bridge shielded drop shaft to transfer to the "Clean" section of the fort. Hell, they have nothing but time so they can get legendary in wrestling, misc. obj. user, kicking, striking, biting, fighting, dodging, shield, armor, and weapon of choice. If the end times come just Flood the world, drain, and have your legendary vampire gladiators cleanse the fort before retiring back to their arena. Their frozen attributes makes it all the crazier when they do.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2012, 03:35:59 pm »

Of the 4 damned vampires wandering the catacombs I have, 2 have no hair descriptor and the other 2 have some form of white or grey, which may or may not be mixed with whatever the other color is. Most of my population has flax colored hair. One vampire has white mixed with gray hair, the other has gray mixed with flax. There doesn't seem to be any relation with skin color, though. One vampire has dark tan skin, one cinnamon, one dark peach, and the last pink.
It took me a while to think of it, but they probably have white/grey hair because they're old.  Ageless they may be, but the hair color changes in the raws aren't tied to the dying of old age part.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]