Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Are vampires much of a threat to a fortress?  (Read 12916 times)

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
Re: Are vampires much of a threat to a fortress?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2012, 02:54:52 pm »

No matter the result, having a vampire tends to bite.
Vampires really do suck, don't they?
Yeah, a vampire is a real pain in the neck!

Remind me to say Fangkyou then (eh couldn't think of something funny)

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 03:33:30 pm »

These puns are getting ridraculas
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Drago55577

• Bay Watcher
  • Я красивая девушка
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 03:50:04 pm »

These puns are getting ridraculas

Well these puns are getting me Drained

Rip goat, more loli
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Coyote Sans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2012, 05:21:39 pm »

What you see as a threat, I see as an opportunity. Just take Vampire McTrophyHoarder and rope him in a room suspiciously full of retractable iron spikes. Flood it (since he can't drown), and pull the lever a couple of times. Stick a well over the contaminated reservoir. Now, just trade away all the booze (ALL of it), and before you know it you'll have a bunch of very sober and nigh unkillable vampires for your military to have all sorts of Fun with.

Don't even need to worry about food or booze, either!

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2012, 07:47:03 pm »

I got four vampires in my 5 year fort so far. Once I was over the panic of "oh gods, my dwarves are being found dead!" I read the wiki, learned how to identify a vampire infestation and caught each one of them by building rooms with a lever inside, linked to the door, and then assigning them to pull the lever. Easy like that. Now I have four rooms (besides the levers, each room also has a bed and a coffin) each containing one suspiciously happy dwarf, that never drinks, eats or sleeps. One of them is so charismatic that he manages to be elected mayor every year, even from inside his solitary confinement.

Now I could never kill these guys, even if each one got to kill at least two dwarves before being caught. I think I'll construct a subterranean (well, more subterranean) place for them, with an underwater danger room for them to train, besides individual rooms with all the amenities I can think to make them happy. I'll deck them in the best gear (my miners bypassed the caverns and just hit the magma sea), give a scourge for each one and then have them devastate the circus once they're multi-legendary.

In the meantime, they'll work as my execution system. Dwarves that bring shame to the fortress will have to go through the airlocked chambers and will end up in a bedroom inside the vampires living space. Once the deed is done, their dried husks will be buried outside.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 09:27:55 pm »

A fun little thing that I do to help spot vampires while maintaining separate bedrooms is to carve little fortification-windows into the side of every room. My mass-bedrooms tend to be little 2x3 holes in the wall piled next to each other, which eventually border on main arterial corridors. So, if a vampire is having a bite to eat, any old novice soap-maker can spot him if they pass by.

My first vampire was my chief medical dwarf. If he wasn't running around killing all my useful guys, I would've been fine with him. Instead, I confined him to the top of a terracotta tower to spend the rest of his days enjoying the scenery.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

puppy daub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2012, 10:00:32 pm »

I had 5 locked up in their own private area just hanging out and chatting for a long time.  I finally decided to drop iron armor and weapons and have them train in their own squad (except the vampire mayor).  They were training very slowly so I decided to make it interesting and drop a caged prisoner down there.  After they set it up and the mayor released it, they did a pitiful job fighting it.  I let the thief keep his dagger to make it interesting, and did it ever.  The thief got a lucky headshot on one of them and straight out killed one.  The others were miserable and exhausted swinging and missing.  They were just running around their little area with the goblin, and then would stop to be miserable for a time, then it would start again.  The goblin has a bruised finger, and has killed 2 of them so far(I wonder how it will end).  I think I have an especially weak strain of vampires (and daggers are deadly effective against poorly trained dwarves).  I was rather disappointed because I was looking forward to having my vampire special forces I could call up for difficult missions.

Another thing I noticed was how much the mayor hammed up being a bad worker.  He was about 10x slower at doing anything than any other dwarf.  Took him an eternity to mine and smooth some rooms.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2012, 10:31:25 pm »

From what I've seen, if a vampire is in the military and told to station/kill when feeding, he'll immediately stop feeding and become a soldier. Either it was that or the horde of soldiers pouring through the dormitory door...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2012, 04:09:41 pm »

Honestly, the danger varies depending on how good you are at identifying and isolating them. If you let groups of migrants into your general population without checking them over, yeah, they can do some harm.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2012, 05:08:59 pm »

I have a sorting chamber of sorts in one of my forts, it puts all the migrants in a meeting, then a floodgate behind a fortification drops revealing a captured zombie, normal dwarfs flee into the second half of the room, and the floodgate wall catches them there. all dwarfs still in the main room go through the drowning room test, if they are gasping for air during it they are welcome in, if not, there's quite a few holes in the floor about the size of a spear...

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2012, 09:27:17 pm »

I have a sorting chamber of sorts in one of my forts, it puts all the migrants in a meeting, then a floodgate behind a fortification drops revealing a captured zombie, normal dwarfs flee into the second half of the room, and the floodgate wall catches them there. all dwarfs still in the main room go through the drowning room test, if they are gasping for air during it they are welcome in, if not, there's quite a few holes in the floor about the size of a spear...

That's the most beautiful vampire detection system I've yet seen. All my systems are boring and practical, and rely on a couple of murders to happen first. I don't have the patience for elaborate systems like that.

My latest fort had its individual bedrooms in a ring around the workshop area, with fortification windows betwixt them, and they were all in a line so it was easy for dwarves to see through all of them. Seemed to work well.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 01:07:05 am »

That's the most beautiful vampire detection system I've yet seen. All my systems are boring and practical, and rely on a couple of murders to happen first. I don't have the patience for elaborate systems like that.

My latest fort had its individual bedrooms in a ring around the workshop area, with fortification windows betwixt them, and they were all in a line so it was easy for dwarves to see through all of them. Seemed to work well.

..... yeah i got one vampire in ten years in that fort....

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 02:55:11 am »

As far as I can tell, vampires tend to have strange quirks, sometimes genetically even, that tip them off.

In my latest fort, something appears to have happened in history where all the currently living dwarves that immigrate to my fortress have silver eyes. Among other indicators (jerk ate a guy), I noticed that both the vampires I've had thus far have had cerulean and some other color other than silver eyes, respectively.

So, genetic homogenizing at some point in your civilization's history can tip you off to vampires if you're paying attention, apparently. Nifty.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »

So I think that I found one more test that might guarantee vampireness in some cases- if a migrant arrives on your map and immediately generates a "Recover Wounded" task for one of your dwarves, and it has no obvious wounds, then it's a vampire.

I'm not sure if this is because of wounds sustained during worldgen that heal as soon as the vampire enters the map (similar to how megabeasts would show up with all sorts of severe injuries in 40d) but I have definitely had this happen with at least two vampires. The "recover wounded" task seemed to have been generated the instant they entered the map and they were not injured by wandering wildlife as far as I can tell. At least one of the vampires was carried into the fort by a dwarf despite being uninjured after being picked up (I really should have gotten a screenshot).

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 01:22:25 pm »

After looking through the legends, i found out that one of my vampire dwarfs was cursed by a evil rat. Then she turned into a vampire and move from town to town killing one dwarf and leaving. Then settled in my fort, killing five dwarfs, by sucking their blood. Then died from fortress abandonment.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 01:47:23 pm by Comrade »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4