Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Kids Games  (Read 13997 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Kids Games
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2012, 03:26:11 pm »

I owned that on the Sega Saturn... it was unbalanced as hell - basically it was IMPOSSIBLE to get bigger than about 12000 inhabitants until nuclear power arrived, which would be after you needed to reneow your oil or coal plant. Saving up for one took about 45 to 50 years, just in time for your next power plant...

I only filled the map a few times. Each time required a custom map with enough waterfalls to slowly grow in the early years using hydro power until I could afford a few microwave plants or fusion reactors. The first time I started coating the world with Launch Arcos, then got pissed when my massivley expensive buildings lifted off into space. From then on the cheap but people cramming Plymouth Arcos's were my choice - once managed to get an entire map to be nothing but them, transport and service buildings. Wasnt much to look at but several million inhabitants and lots of cash were good. Who needs a breathable atmosphere and clean water anyhow? :)

My mispent youth can be summed up by a number of games: SpeedBall 2, Cannon Fodder, Command and Conquer, PowerMonger, Megalomania, Theme Park, Worms and ToeJam and Earl. The latter being an unsung work of genius with a great soundtrack, a fab sence of humor and procedurally generated levels.
This is a blank sig.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2012, 06:32:50 pm »

Gameboys man. Loved the crap out of them... Ah, (a) (b) buttons how I miss you...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 01:56:11 am »

My daughter loves drawing and alphabet games. I give her between 6 mo to another year with her V-tech. She already knows how to start up a game of Madden12 to watch.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2012, 08:23:27 am »

I played Unreal 1 and Dungeon Keeper back in the day, that was pretty fun

also M&Ms, the Lost Formulas, which was a pretty damn good game for what amounted to an advertisement you pay for.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2012, 09:03:29 am »

My younger sister (who is an adult) actually still plays a few of the childhood games

UNFORTUNATELY they are the ones made for really young children. 5th Grade adventure... wheeeeee...

Ok in 5th Grade Adventure's defense. It is pretty awesome in that it feels like an advanture.

What I hate about it however, yes I had to help her finish that game several times, is that many of the puzzles require you to collect tokens just to solve it making the game longer then it needs to be. The absolute worst however would be the last puzzles since they can take forever.

Commander Keen you would never do that to me would you?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2012, 09:05:26 am »

The spam bot is jelly we stole its thread.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2012, 09:37:54 am »

That's what they get for contributing to the forums.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:45 am »

I remember some of the Keen levels driving me into spittle-flecked rages, because you needed to jump just right to get the key needed to move forward and if you fell too far, you had to run like half the level over again. But yeah, I have some fond memories of the Keen franchise. Jill of the Jungle too.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2012, 09:42:47 am »

I'm going to get my daughter into The Oregon Trail. Muahahaha!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2012, 10:02:08 am »

"Daddy, what's dysentery and why are all my people getting it?"

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2012, 10:06:08 am »

Considering that I attempt to never hide facts from her...

BAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

"Daddy, what's dysentery and why are all my people getting it?"
"Let's check Wikipedia, dear. Now, you know, the wiki is only a starting point to find stuff out, right? There's plenty of other places on the web that are actually useful..."

And suddenly, lesson about the internet.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2012, 10:15:29 am »

Yeah, and then the next time she gets a tummyache, she is going to freak out and trade you to Indians for medicine.  :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2012, 10:16:26 am »

Best part? Native American (Cherokee) descent. Booyah. :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2012, 10:17:42 am »

I remember some of the Keen levels driving me into spittle-flecked rages, because you needed to jump just right to get the key needed to move forward and if you fell too far, you had to run like half the level over again. But yeah, I have some fond memories of the Keen franchise. Jill of the Jungle too.

To admit though, Keen aged quite a bit better then Jill.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2012, 10:49:31 am »

Was anybody else here a fan of Zoombinis?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5