Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [Succession] BloodSyrup- Above ground | Fort Defense | Titans Everywhere  (Read 8819 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile

They don't. Raws come with save files.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, haven't gotten it to work yet.  I unzipped, dropped the "region6" folder into my df/data/save folder, so its right next next to all my other regions, however when I start DF and go to continue playing it is not listed.  I'm using Phoebus with DF version .04.  I'm downloading .05 right now, and I'll try it with that.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I think I was using .05
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, everything is working.  I plan to get my first post up tonight, detailing the current state of the fortress.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

May I be dwarfed as a Bone Carver?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My children are gone. I thanked Selor for my three children, but now I have none.  My little Cerol and my darling Ast were taken by the snatchers.  The bones of my smiling Thikut lie still in the stinking jungle, where he was cut down a stone's throw from the stockade.  My own wife is injured and scarred.  And broken.  She grins stupidly despite passing Thikut's remains every day as she cuts down wood.  I suppose its all she can do, without wood to sustain our camp, we would be hard pressed.  It pains me, I can find no solace with her company.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I am the butcher and brewer.  In these roles I find comfort by the blessing of Stistras.  The grim-faced militia slaughter the various creatures at the gates, and in an alcohol-induced catatonic stupor I dissect the bodies, the bones to be returned to their comrades, sharpened and at high velocity, and the meat to sustain us.  Its a queer little loop.  They come to kill our children, and from their bodies we extract the means to continue too eek out an exposed existence here.

Screenshots of Slothen and referenced deities.

Why so exposed?  We are forbidden to dig.  Picks of any sort are not allowed.  Why is that?  All I know is that at first, we didn't have any.  I certainly was not the one who forgot to bring them.  We had a full year of huddling under our wagon, splitting logs, fighting off emu's, kobolds, and dark stranglers.  By the time the first caravans came to supply us, many of us were at the point of burrowing into the damp loam with our hands just to get a good nights rest.  When Lorbam was ready to barter for a few picks, he was stopped by Quint and Katana.  They had been doing all the kobold-killing, and were the only ones with weapons.  They made sure the traders left with all their picks in tow.  What could we do to stop them?

I don't know why they keep us from digging.  I don't know if I ever will know.  But I do know the results of their absurd decree.  Three years of living in a tiny walled stockade.  Too small for 10 dwarves, let alone 50!  There is no dormitory, instead we have a corner where some beds are haphazardly piled.  This placed is so stuffed with dwarves a meeting hall is redundant, unless you try drowning youself in the bog there is nowhere you can stand and not reach out and touch your stinking-neighbor.  There is no dining hall, instead we squat among the workshops and log stockpiles in the rain.  Our grand entrance consists of "that one hole in the stockade that you can drive a wagon through."

Screenshots of BloodSyrup
The ground floor is a crude stockade.  Most of the space is taken up by corpses, wood, and plant barrels.  There's also a Trade Depot, a few cramped workshops, some beds, a well over the springs in the east, and two farm plots.
The second floor is an ammunition stockpile and training floor.  The third is merely a protected ledge extending over the entrance, providing our jelly shooters a commanding line of fire over the bloody clearing in this stinking jungle.

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 12th Felsite, year 19.

Something... different happened today.  I was browsing the corpse stockpile, looking for something to cut up, when mayor Lorbam approached.  He told me that effective immediately, I was to be in charge of civillian work orders and stockpile records.  Our conversation went thusly...
"You're stepping down as mayor?"  I said
"Woah Woah Woah, what gave you that idea?"
"Well, you're giving me all the work the mayor is supposed to do."
"I'm giving you work that I was doing yes, but I'll still be the mayor, meet with dignitaries, and issue mandates."
"How noble of you." I muttered.
"What did you say?"  Lobram raised his eyebrows and frowned at the same time.  i think he was trying to be threatening.
"Nothing.  Do you realize I'm the brewer?  I've already got the most important job and you're giving me the second most important job, and on top of that my children are dead and I'm the most depressed guy around here?"
"Incidentally, that's why I'm giving you the responsibility.  The militia, myself, and the majority of the other civilians are perfectly content with the life we have here...  You seem to be the only one with concerns about safety and living arrangements.  So, I'm giving you a chance to make something of it.  If it does well, I might get myself promoted to Baron.  If not, we can always send you back to your butcher's block.  Of course, if the booze runs out, I'll have Quint use you for target practice."
"Will I get a chair to manage the production orders and the books?"
"Yes."
"I'll do it!"
"You should talk to Katana.  He'll need to know I've told you to manage the muppets for now."
"The what?"
"I mean the civilians, go tell Katana you'll be managing the civilians for now."

Katana.  I hadn't given him much thought since he and Quint stopped us from getting picks those years ago.  While Selor blessed Eral and I with children, Katana defended the fortress with a growing and increasingly hardened cadre of "Jelly Shooters."  They built a mountain of corpses outside our crude wooden walls.  But for them, we'd be dead.  But for them, we'd be safe underground, and my children would still live.  I clearly have some unresolved feelings here.  And now as the civilian leader, I was Katana's counterpart, and together we were entrusted with the safety and prosperity of the members of The Early Gem, founders of BloodSyrup, with the Lazy Mayor Lobram at our head.

I found Katana cleaning some tigerman blood from Uzolkashez Oillesson, an imported bronze sword that Katana named after earning thirty-nine kills with it in defense of the fortress.  As I approached he gave me a rather intimidating glance.  As I began to explain myself, he interrupted.

"Yeah yeah, I heard all about it already.  Listen, now's not a good time to talk about it."
"Why is that?"
"Urist and Edzul on the roof spotted some Blendecs headed this way.  I'm getting the militia ready."
"Blendecs?  what's a blendec?"
"Damned if I know, but Urist says they have bronze armor, so this could be our lucky day."
Or our last day, I thought to myself.  "Have you told any of the civillians?  What are you going to do?"
"I'm telling YOU now.  We're gonna do what we do best, stand at the entrance and make some corpses.  Make sure the muppets stay out of the way."  He dismissed me with a wave.

I was too furious and shocked to speak.  I turned and climbed up to the roof to get a better vantage point to see the new foes, and to give me a platform from which to yell out orders to our whole encampment.  In the distance I saw creatures, horrible monsters that made my blood run cold.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOC
Nearly everyone is ecstatic except for Slothen.  He is the least happy dwarf. 
This is a wierd fort.  Its so small everyone is legendary in social skills.  No furniture or rooms, decaying bodies, exposure to rain.  Everyone is ecstatic.
Corai will be dorfed as the +5 bone carver.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 07:53:37 pm by slothen »
Thoughts on water

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I love how seriously you refer to the jelly shooters. The whole jelly line of titles is a running joke with all my fortresses.

Also, the army of mayor bug is still around?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

updated my initial post with images.  Kinda worried about the blendecs.
Thoughts on water

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 15th Felsite, year 19.

The siege of the putrid blendecs has ended as quickly as it had begun.  I shouted for all civilians to get inside the stockade.  Luckily none were out of earshot, and within a few moments I got word from below that everyone was accounted for.  I took a moment to marvel at our new enemy.  Their appearance stretched the bounds of imagination, for in place of their heads were the skulls of goats!  They were uniformed in shining bismuth bronze.  A dozen Jelly Shooters emerged from the ground level and formed a line along the long spit of the fortress.  They ignored me, loading their crossbows and muttering quietly to each other about this new foe.  We waited.

The twisted half-dead goatmen came within range of the archers.  With a yell, the jellies let loose a volley.  The first to find his mark was Endok Axespear.  His first bolt hit one in the leg, causing it to fall over.  Many of the first shots were deflected by the armor, but many bolts found their mark, causing the beasts to drop their axes or fall to the ground in pain.  As soon as the first volley landed, the Champions below let out an answering yell and charged out into the Blendecs just as they began to falter.  Endok's second bolt went clean through the head of another blendec.  Then the strangest thing happened, the blendec exploded in a cloud of dark gasses obscuring my vision of the battle.  What happened next I cannot describe in any great detail.  Katana's champions were unfazed, and were instantly among the blendecs.  As each blendec fell, they exploded in dark gasses, and the more of them fell, the less I could see.  What I could see, however, was a steady fountain of severed goat parts being ejected out from the dark cloud, reaching their zenith far above my head, to rain down in a macabre shower of blood and parts.  As the smoke cleared, it was clearly over.  Not a single champion had a scratch, and not a blendec had escaped.  The only casualty was a novice jelly shooter, Domas Handlecrowds, who sustained a nasty bruise on the arm when a blendec attempted to gore her.

A blendec explodes upon death, leaving cassiterite???
The the aftermath of the battle.  In all honesty, it doesn't look much different than before.

Katana and Quint share a laugh as I come down to survey the damage; they're high off the bloodshed.  The extra shields helms and armor could indeed be useful.  Given the limited availability of building materials, even the cassiterite left by some of the blendecs may be of use.  I notice a large stockpile of unusable corpses and rotting skeletons is within our cramped fortress.  I'm in the middle of explaining to Corai why I want him to move his bones outside the walls, when I hear three voices at once shout something about an elven caravan.  That should be good.  We can never have too much wood or booze, and some war animals would be useful in improving security.

I shout back to the jellies.  "why are you all still up there?"
Its a moment before I get a "mind your own business." In response, but with a few extra expletives thrown in.  Its a moment before Corai leans in and whispers "The archer tower was built to Katana's specifications, but he forgot how many marksdwarves would be using it at once.  Its only wide enough for one dwarf to move around, so when they get up there for a battle, it always a few days before they all get down, because someone always wants to go get a drink early, and someone else always wants to stay a while longer looking around.  You just never noticed because you're a drunk butcher whose never fought in his life and your kids are all dead."
"That's a pretty ballsy comment considering most of yours are still alive.  I suggest you start moving those corpses outside."
"You forget I'm the only doctor and the only one that keeps turning out bolts for the Jellies.  They like me.  I think you'll have no trouble finding someone else to move those corpses."
"Fine."
Note to self: drown Corai's youngest daughter, Meng.  And make her eldest children, the planters Feb and Rith, my new dedicated refuse haulers.

I hear a laugh from above on the archery tower.  "Ohh, bad luck elves, hope you can run fast!"  What could it be this time?  I soon learn that the elves are beset upon by Furies.  My personal feelings on the subject of elves aside, this was bad but not too bad.  If the elves are slaughtered, well, we still can get what we need from their caravan.  On the other hand, as short-handed as we are with the majority of the fortress training year-round, I'd sooner have seen the elves live long enough to go the distance to our trade depot.  I climb the tower and look out.  I see two skinny male elves and a giant muscular female elf fleeing slowly from a band of furies mounted on giant grasshoppers and giant jaguars.  The elves could be fleeing faster, but they refuse to leave their burdened pack animals behind.  As I watch, a few things register in my mind.  The elves are completely naked, save for their hats.  Maybe its not so bad they won't make it to the depot.  The second is more consequential.  The jaguars the furies are riding are enormous.  Furies have wings.  And unlike the blendecs before, these furies are all wielding crossbows.  A jelly shooter laughed as one of the skinny elves tripped.  I told the fool to look around for other furies, they might not be the only group.  In a moment, several more squads of furies were identified, approaching from different directions.  The laughing ceased as the jellies scrambled to refill their quivers.  I bellowed for the civilians to return inside once more.

The furies have great numbers.  There are two squads of archers a squad of swordsmen, and a group of jaguars attacking without riders.  The saving grace is that the furies and their mounts are unarmored, and their squads are spread out.  I fear what will happen to the novice jellies when they take return fire.  They have no armor or training in doing so.  I hope Katana knows how to handle this.  If he fails, then we have no defense.

------------------------
Hopefully this is the last siege for awhile and I can actually do some building.  At a bare minimum, we need more dwarfs, more space, more booze, and more ways to control the battlefield.  I'm thinking of ways to build usable defenses without breaking the "wagon accessible" rule.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:19:33 am by slothen »
Thoughts on water

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a heads up, you've got basically nothing to fear until things start spewing fire and webbing the elites. By the way, with the whole fire thing, might want to pave the ground.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Enjoying this so far
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a heads up, you've got basically nothing to fear until things start spewing fire and webbing the elites. By the way, with the whole fire thing, might want to pave the ground.

yeah i figured.  can the blendec explosions cause any damage/syndromes?  I didn't notice anything.  Also as for the furies, my only concern there is the two elites will inflict some serious damage on the unarmored, not-trained-in-dodging jelly shooters.  Oh and that steel-armored enemies will show up while the melee dwarves are still using bronze and the jellies are still using wood/bone bolts.
Thoughts on water

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. Might wanna build a wall/fortification around where the jelly shooters live. Explosions don't cause syndromes afaik.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

sieges take a lot longer when you meticulously screenshot everything.  I should have an update with the battle report tomorrow, as well as the start of some non-siege gameplay (for once).
Thoughts on water

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 19th Felsite, year 19

The furies seemed to be sizing up our defenses from a distance.  I ordered the civlians to quickly strip the blendecs of their armor, which Katana promptly reissued to the Jellies and the champions. [ooc, need a better name for the melee troops].  He then sent 8 of our 10 champions to the southeast, to engage the group of mounted swordsfuries.  The champions make quick work of them, then turned their attention to the squad of mounted fury archers to the south.  Before they had finished off the swordsfuries, the spearmaster Vgray was among the bowfuries.  Vgray mortally wounded the squad leader and her mount all the while dodging the arrows of 12 different furies.  Unfortunately one of those arrows that missed its mark caught poor Shem the lumberjack in the arm, who was unwisely loitering outside the fortress.  As the other 7 champions joined Vgray in battle, the jellies pincushioned two furies that had flown over the wall to attack the civilians.  With the second squad completely destroyed, and the champions charging north, the last squad of furies fled, along with a pack of unmounted giant war jaguars that had been menacing the gates.

Before any shots were fired, this Jelly went into a trance and then didn't shoot at anything.  He was safely behind fortifications the entire time.

The first clash of battle south of the fortress.

Jellies do not take kindly to flying enemies scaling the walls.

Lor bisected this harpy, sending half of its body 10 tiles away.

Vgray is Neo.  He's fighting an elite bow fury, and 15 (count 'em) other furies are shooting at him as well (mounted on grasshoppers/giant jaguars)

A stray shot aimed at Vgray hits a woodcutter.

Vgray doesn't go into a trance until after most of the enemies are dead.

What about the traders, you ask?  The furies completely ignored the elves, except for one fury who had a grudge or something.  She put an arrow in the hindquarters of one of the elves pack-horses.  The (naked) skinny male elf refused to abandon his creature, dragging it along with all his might.  The fury approached on her jaguar and continued firing arrows, and occasionally let her her jaguar take a nip.  It was not a quick or pretty death.
As his horse collapsed, the elf made a break for it, but took an arrow in the throat a moment later.  He managed to stagger quite a ways before he collapsed and bled out.
The fury continued its rampage, killing another pack horse before turning and fleeing with the rest of its brethren.

I had just ordered the field to be cleared of bodies and stripped for usable equipment when a goblin ambush was spotted.  They were handily defeated, we took no casualties.  The elves were gone, but I've ordered some usable items to be taken from the dead pack animals.  The elves brought more cloth than we could use in a year, but I've ordered some to be recovered, along with some barrels, bags, thread, crutches, buckets, and cages.  The kobolds can take the rest.

The furies, blendecs, and goblins have left many arms and armor.  The furies have left hundreds of bronze bolts, which will make our jelly shooters all the more lethal.  We have many bronze swords and other assorted weapons as well.  Not all are suitable for our direct use, but in the quantities we've acquired them, they will make lethal weapon traps, especially considering we have no capacity to forge our own weapons.  We also now have many bronze shields and helms.
We have no need to butcher the jaguars the furies rode, we have enough large stores of meat and bones already.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:16:52 pm by slothen »
Thoughts on water
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5