Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [Succession] BloodSyrup- Above ground | Fort Defense | Titans Everywhere  (Read 8815 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile

Champions-
Jelly knights?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Excellent write up slothen.
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 12th Galena, year 19.  Late Summer

Dwarves: sturdy creatures fond of drink and industry.  Its a fitting definition.  The rest of spring and most of summer have passed quickly, and every resident of BloodSyrup has been hard at work.  With the goblins destroyed I finally had a quiet moment to think about what to do about this wretched sweltering place.  The most pressing concerns were the shortage of booze, the shortage of space, and the general in-defensibility of our primitive camp.  To our advantage, we had the spoils of battle, enough food to never fear for starvation, a large and well trained militia, and enough bolts to pincushion any siege five times over.

I knew it would be foolish to waste our brief reprieve from attack on a poorly thought-out grand expansion or reorganization of the camp.  I ordered the civilians and the jelly shooters to throw the useless corpses stinking up this place outside the walls.  I needed to think about priorities and how to accomplish them most quickly, so I went to the still to brew and drink, serving the dual purpose of helping me think, and restocking our booze supply.  Bringing in the armor, cloth, weapons, jaguar bones, tossing out the tigerman corpses to make room, it took a long time.  When things were tidier, our booze situation and my sobriety were both at a more comfortable level for the more difficult challenges in making this place a semi-decent fort.

We had huge stockpiles of food, so I had the farm plots torn up.  I built a new section of the wall to the north-east, enclosing a new kitchen area.  We have poultry, but no nest boxes, and these I also ordered to be constructed.  I conscripted many new woodcutters and carpenters.  With no access to stone and the need to constantly expand our living area, wood and carpenters are absolutely essential.  Sadly, our woodcutter Shem still lies in the hospital.  Corai washed and sutured the wound in his arm, but ignored the obvious need for a dressing and a splint.  After a month of negligence, I relieved Corai of his position, and named Doren (a jelly shooter) our new chief medical dwarf.  Unfortunately Doren's training has prevented him from treating Shem, who seems to be healing just fine on her own.  I can't be too angry with Corai, however, as she spent much of the summer crafting beautiful jaguar head totems, greaves, and gauntlets.  Still, the woman is a little strange, complaining about never seeing any action, yet refusing to go outside into the jungle (outside is a relative term, only a small area has a roof, most of the camp is always 'outside.')

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The wide hole in the stockade that's been our entrance has been extended outward.  Now its a wide corridor, overlooking the vantage point of the jelly shooters.  Mechanisms have been built from some galena, and three deadly traps have been built at the end of this corridor using the various silver, bronze, and copper weapons we've taken from our enemies, its not much, but its something.  Besides, its part of my grander vision for the entrance.  Until then, a spider monkey from the elves shall be chained in the corridor.

Two more champions have named their weapons:

[Itatkod Sunggornisun, "Chillblots the Fuchsia Warning", a copper battle axe]
[This is a finely-crafted copper battle axe.  It is encircled with bands of well-crafted round gabbro cabochons.  On the item is an image of two smooth pebbles in tin.]  22 kills, 9 by Atir Bookchapels the Aching Calm of Telling, who also named the weapon

[Asolkodor, "Siezedawned", a bismuth bronze battle axe]
[This is a well-crafted bismuth bronze battle axe.  On the item is an image of hill titans in trifle pewter.]  16 kills, all by Kogsak Entranceirons the Blanketed Temple of Poetry.

Also a child has been born:

The baby's name is Fath.  Fath has an older sister, who isn't a baby anymore, and an older brother, but he was kidnapped by goblins.  I'll make sure Fath is not kidnapped by goblins.

Our cook, Cerol, made a rather fine meal.  I've given him the title "Meatsmith" as reward. [OOC: reference to the headshoots profession classification system].

Its worth is estimated over 22,000 *.  I hope no one gets sick eating it.

A few migrants came.  I told a promising looking one to report to Katana for training.  It seems he's taken a liking to a whip he found, but it'll be some time before he has the skill of the other jelly knights.

Once Corai had finished making gauntlets and greaves, I ordered her to make bolts once more.  Apparently, our jelly shooters are so zealous in their training that they have used over two thousand bolts in a few short months.  I began butchering jaguar skeletons to provide Corai the bones.  Just as I started working, I heard a jelly yell out another siege was on its way.  I'm not concerned, since its only stranglers.  Katana told me the real skill with them is to kill as many as possible before they run away.  As a write this, the civilians are finishing the last of their jobs before assembling in the new meeting area.  I've actually got a little surprise for them, we've all been too busy working furiously for me to give it a test, but this is a perfect opportunity.  The new meeting area is actually a bathouse!  Years in this smelly dank jungle with the same old clothes and sharing 15 dwarves to a bed on a rotating schedule and all the blood and grasshopper ichor and rotting bodies all over the place, its gross!  We've all gotten used to it, but I'm sure everyone will be happier once that water knocks the grime off!

Well, sounds like everyone is in the 'safe room' for the duration of the siege, and the Jellies are likely to make short work of those stranglers.  I guess its time to get this started.

PS.  Oh yeah, all summer we were harassed by thieves.  Clearly wasn't worth mentioning, except for this guy, who managed to sneak right into the camp, until he bumped into the jellies doing a demonstration.

Also, here's what the camp looks like now.  Notice how the front entrance has been cleaned up a bit.

OOC:  I think I've figured out why everyone in this squalid cramped place is so goddamn ecstatic all the time.  Everyone is legendary in social skills, and in the recent release, Toady mentioned fixing stacking social thoughts related to 'talking to a friend.'  Everyone has a ton of friends, but when my turn started everyone was complaining about the lack of tables and chairs, the lack of bedrooms, and the decay of friends and loss of children, yet they were all ecstatic.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:14:55 am by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Love it! looking forward to seeing the bathhouse/swimming pool :)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like a turn if I may.

And Im a girl? Heh, my friends were right apparently.  Gotta love those ironies....
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:58:49 am by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yup. I remember like a year ago someone posted on it, as happiness danger rooms or something. I've always used cramped meeting areas ever since (dining halls always end up small, too.)

I like what you've done with the place! Although I've been a little worried about what would happen if the amphibian men came.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 28th of Limestone, year 19.  Early Autumn

Things have gone terribly, terribly wrong.  It all started when Urist was attacked by the stranglers.  He was surrounded by over twenty of them and killed three, while dodging and turning from their strikes.  He entered a trancelike state, they couldn't touch him.  He couldn't last forever though, and when the jelly knights arrived for the rescue, he had already taken some heavy blows and scratches.  The stranglers broke and fled, but not many escaped, as bolts took them in the back and axes and swords finished the job.  Urist was badly beaten, but he had no mortal wounds.

With the siege defeated and Urist on his way to see the doctor, I called everyone in, including the jellies, fresh off another victory,  for a celebration in the new meeting room.  Once everyone was assembled, I locked the doors and began pumping.  There was cheering, laughing and excitement as the water began to rise to chest level.  It was then that two things happened.  First, a human caravan arrived, complete with several wagons and guards.  The other thing that happened was a great roar from the pile of dead stranglers.  I climbed on a table to peek over the stockade, and my heart fell.  Urist lay on the field, he must have passed out from exhaustion.  No one had noticed in the rush to go swimming.  Above him stood a Pandashi matron, an bronze whip held behind her, ready to strike.

There were a dozen Pandashi behind her, all armored in bronze and steel, and carrying bronze and steel whips.  My heart ached as I unlocked the doors to the swimming pool, aborting its maiden testing.  The guards from the caravan and the entire militia of BloodSyrup charged out for vengeance.  The whips of the Pandashi were cruel, and a human caravan guard was struck down, his face cloven in two by a lash.  But they were no match for the Jelly Knights.  Every Pandashi was butchered where they stood.

Mayor Lorbam did some actual work negotiating with the human traders.  In exchange for some of the unusable large and small armors of the furies and pandashi and some of Corai's brilliant jaguar head totems, we recieved large quantities of booze, several find copper cages, many bins of leather and cloth, metal bolts, bars of metal, rock blocks, and clay.

It was then that I decided to have a retrial of the swimming pool, but with a more select group.  It was not as successful as I'd hoped, it took nearly a week for everyone to learn how to doggie-paddle in water, and they were all hungry and thirsty from the work.  Clearly we will need to continue swimming lessons for some time to reach a certain standard of aquatic-competence.  Still, its a proof of concept, so I can't complain.  The real trouble is that there is an overabundance of enthusiasm.  A friend of Urist's, a jelly named Endok, was so depressed about not learning to swim in the first group, that she was struck with melancholy, and just wanders aimlessly, without interacting in any way, eating, sleeping, or drinking.  Her lover Olon reacted differently, going into a rage and attacking the traders when he learned he would have to wait until next season.  He was quickly struck down.

Everyone, not just Olon and Endok, seem to be upset by the lack of chairs.  The 6 chair, 6 table dining room I've had installed has been a big hit, however.

Most of the Jelly shooters are upset.  I fear they may mutiny or revolt.  The Jelly Knights seem solid though.  They will continue to fight until they are themselves killed, regardless of what happens to the rest of us.  Not everyone seems upset by the recent turn of events.  In particular Corai seems thrilled that Olon and Urist won't be chatting her up anymore.

I've mandated that no coffins be made or burials take place.  We have too much other work to do, and wood is scarce.  Besides, my child's skull is still grinning from outside the stockade walls, and I'm perfectly fine.  In other news, Urist's socks and shoes have been claimed by a variety of different residents.  I've built floors over the section of the river within our walls.  If anything comes from the river to attack us, it will only be able to enter in through the well.

Oh, and one of the jellies, Led, nearly threw a trantrum, but mayor Lorbam talked him out of it expertly.  I used to think he was giving me all the work, leaving him with a cushy job.  But the managing of this place is very much in his hands as well as mine.  His work with the traders was excellent, and there's no way I could have handled Led the way he did.  I think he'll have his hands full in the next few weeks, as people cope with the recent spate of deaths and the imminent decay of friends.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 02:12:21 am by slothen »
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woahwoahwoah

How did two dwarves go mad.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Urist got his head smashed.  Endok was urists friend and fell sleep in the mud while locked into the swimming pool before the panda's attacked.  When urist died Endok went melancholy.  Then Endok's wife went berserk later, before Olon died.  I think Olon had a grudge against the mayor, because Olon went berserk and has the 'talked to somebody annoying' thought after having a meeting with the mayor.

EDIT:   Should get my final update along with the save in a day or two.  Finishing up late winter now.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:45:02 pm by slothen »
Thoughts on water

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Slothen's Final Update, part 1

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 25th of Sandstone, year 19.  Mid-Autumn

It is autumn.  Our woodcutters have been bringing in much wood, the lifeblood of our fortress.  Today our woodcutters were moving to clear a swath of trees to the south when they were ambushed by giant spiders.  Luckily their numbers were few, and we lost only a single dwarf, who put a great gash in one of the creature's exoskeletons before succumbing to the venom and their powerful jaws.  The militia responded and killed them without incident.  Butchering the boneless fiends is pointless, I am disappointed.  One more dwarf to rot in the field of this murky jungle.

The spiders were followed by a large siege of blendecs.  They are a known quantity however, and were destroyed at our gates, leaving us with more of their weapons and the strange lumps of cassiterite as always.  We can always use more cassiterite, it makes for good mechanisms, furniture, and walls.  If we ever get some copper we could make some excellent bronze.  A jelly squire with some training, a lasher named Zon, took a grievous injury to his legs during the fight with the blendecs.  I resigned myself to another death in the fortress, but mayor Lorbam carried him to the hospital and gave him a crutch while the other dwarves were collecting armor.  It'll be awhile before he moves as fast as he used to.  I'm mostly just glad his training didn't go to waste.

Speaking of Lorbam, I worry about him.  He's really been able to cheer up some of the distraught Jelly shooters, and I know how much he hates having to carry another dwarf to bed, yet he did it anyway.  I fear what would happen if he gives into despair when he seems to be the last thread holding this place together.  I will look into providing an office for him and his wife (a jelly champion).

Lor and Atir have named their weapons.  I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we don't care anymore.
Corai has given birth.  She's back up to 4 children: 2 adult, 2 kids.  Zon has also healed as much as he's going to.

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 1th of Moonstone, year 19.  Early Winter

It is winter.  I never thought this place could actually get cold.  It is a bit chilly though, but nothing a dwarf of the mountainhomes can't handle.  Our wells have frozen.  This is worrisome since one of our militia captains, a jelly sniper named bromek, is in our makeshift "hospital area" with some unusual injuries.  He has some broken ribs and a punctured lung.  He refused to speak on the circumstances surrounding his injury.  I worry Bromek will perish from thirst, but luckily there are some unfrozen pools to the south of us.  We can get him water, but its a  little dangerous for the sap who gets the unlucky job.

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 5th of Moonstone, year 19.  Early Winter
We came under attack today by a giant beast.

Luckily the beast was spotted at distance and we were prepared.  The Jelly knights engaged it at our front gate.  The beast shot poison at the militia, but it missed.  The poison was frozen due to winter anyway.  Once battle was joined, the progress seemed to go slowly, with neither the militia nor the gneiss titan seeming to have the ability to inflict grevious injury.  Suddenly,

Due to the grime and much I did not recognize the champion to score this killing blow, so I asked around.  It was Daruish.

Profile on Daruish

The titant crumbled to gneiss.  It looks like rock, but evil.  I ordered it dumped over the wall with the other refuse.  Another Jelly Shooter, Kivast, has been stricken with melancholy.  The jelly armorer Litast has been missing for some time.  No one is sure how long.  I suspect drowning, but cannot know for sure.

[OOC,  Litast's body in stocks points to a pond i had designated for a water source, however since melting, there is not body there.  I hope no one minds the double triple post, but this is a large update and don't want to lose it.]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:28:28 pm by slothen »
Thoughts on water

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Slothen's Final Update, part 2
Here is the save.   http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6027

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 10th of Obsidian, year 19.  Late Winter
We have repelled a siege of nagas and helmet-snake men.  However, I must preface my account with a brief description of our new defensive architecture.  In the summer, our "hole-in-the-stockade" entrance was replaced with an entrance corridor.  Since then, its become a mechanical bridge.  To come in from the outside, you ascend a short ramp, cross a causeway, and descend again, and you're in.  The difference is, if a certain lever is pulled, the sides of the causeway are pulled up, narrowing it dramatically into a small bridge lined with traps.  The fall from this bridge is quite short, but should you fall, you find yourself trapped under the bridge with no means to escape.  This prevents wagon access, however, and so there is a secondary entrance that consists of a sufficiently long, winding corridor that leads to our dormitories.  Both entrances are overlooked by a newly expanded and lengthened perch for our jelly shooters.

Now that that's explained, here's how the siege was repelled.

Enemies approach.

The bridges were raised as they crossed, dropping many into the room below.

The bridges were closed again, trapping them.  The naga archers couldn't shoot anything now.  The other half of the siegers then engaged the jelly champions on the bridge, with support from above from the jelly shooters.  A kobold thief tried to sneak by in the confusion.  I'm fairly sure he was horribly mutilated by someone.  One recruit died in the fight on the bridge.

Nagas have a lot of teeth and fangs.  It looked like fighting the blendecs, but instead of putrid smoke, there were explosions of teeth every time someone punched or kicked one in the mouth.

With the siegers defeated, we had a small dilema in deciding how to kill the nagas under the bridge.  They would hurt any jelly shooters that tried to shoot them from the bridge, but any jelly champions would have to jump off the bridge and be swarmed before they could engage.  Despite the danger, Katana ordered the second option, instructing me his troops were well trained enough to avoid being crushed by the rising bridges.  The champions assembled on the bridge, bracing for the moment they would face a storm of arrows.

The plan worked perfectly.  Two champions jumped down and made a methodical, bloody process of killing the remaining nagas and helmet-snake men.

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 12th of Granite, year 20.  Early Spring
Spring has arrived!  All things are green and new, and even this nasty jungle smells a little better.  It has also brought me another child.  Eral and I are parents once more.

My daughter is a worshipper of an appropriately-named diety.

There are a number of other important changes to the fortress.  In addition to the new entrance defenses (which could still use much improvement), the second level storage has been expanded, mostly stockpiled with weapons and armor from dead invaders.  I've built two roofed rooms inside the north-east corner of the stockade wall.  One is a dedicated hospital with a well.  It is lacking traction benches and surgery tables still however.  The other room is a well-furnished office for mayor Lorbam and his wife, Jelly Champion, First Lady of BloodSyrup, Master Lasher and Legendary Axedwarf Ilral Paintcleaned the Insensitive Clutch.  The south part of the fortress now has a dedicated room for a barracks, although the carpenter's shop hasn't been moved out yet.  Since the last spring, facilities have been added for weaving and clothesmaking, woodburning, glassmaking, and metalforging.  In general, stockpiles have been expanded and reorganized, although because we have little space, they're still quite a mess.

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 1st of Slate, year 20.  Mid-Spring
Bromek, the wounded militia captain, called me to his bedside today.  He confessed that to me a small cruelty he had done months before.  He said that he had taunted Olon over his lover Endok's sinking depression, and that he and Olon had had an altercation.  Two days later, Olon went berserk and was cut down in the middle of the fortress.  Bromek told me that the ghost of Olon had attacked him while he was training, and that's why he was injured in the hospital.  He had refused to speak because he thought it would anger Olon's ghost and no one would believe him.  I was about to tell him that was ridiculous, when his eyes grew wide and he began gasping for breath (his ribs were broken you remember).  All of a sudden, he was levitated into the air, his limbs stiffly pointing outward.  He looked like he was trying to scream.  Then the most horrible thing happened, his guts exploded and he was ripped in two, spraying blood everywhere.  His legs flew against the stockade wall, and then both pieces of him fell to the ground.  He blinked a few times, and was dead.  There was no sign of any ghost.

Taking a drink of some strawberry wine later, I asked another jelly shooter about the incident.  He told me that there indeed had been a falling out between Bromek and Olon.

I ordered the civillians to hurry up with moving the beds to the newly constructed dormitory.

[OOC:  Bromek was torn in two.  There was a mutiltaed corpse and a Bromek's lower body next to the bed he had occupied for months, at one point he also had the 'attacked by the dead' thought.]

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 15th of Slate, year 20.  Mid-Spring

We have been attacked by the nagas and helmet-snake men again, at a most inopportune time.  Many dwarves were partying in the swimming pool area, so I locked the doors and pumped in some water.  It took quite awhile for them to all swim properly.  A few jelly shooters were upset because they already knew how to swim and fell asleep in the mud.  When we were finished a log was removed from the stockade to drain the water.  That's when the invaders appeared, and went straight for the hole!  unfortunately, dwarves were being washed out by the rushing water as they tried to go through the doors to get back into the fortress.  Luckily, everyone made it in, except for someone's pet goat.  The invaders were defeated on the bridge.  The jelly squire Bim was injured but survived (he'll need a crutch), and the jelly shooter Led threw a tantrum outside the gates because his lover, another jelly shooter, had gone insane.  Led was shooting helmet snakes left and right though, and apparently will make an emotional recovery, all too rare among the jelly shooters.

Congratulations to Lorbam and Ilral on the birth of their first child!  Ilral will be leading a training squad for Jelly knights.

Diary of Slothen "Glovedtalons" Regkidet, 20th of Hematite, year 20.  Early Summer

Today will be my last day as the civilian overseer of BloodSyrup.  My mandate was for one year, and I stayed on for a bit past that.  I will be stepping down to bury my dead child, and raise my newborn.  If the next overseer asks me to continue managing the books, I can do that as well, but no longer will I be calling the shots.  I'd like to think I've left this place in better condition than I found it, in particular, more defensible, better stocked, and more comfortable to live in.  There have been failings as well, the jelly shooters have taken heavy losses, mostly to insanity during my term.  Quite a few of them are raw recruits.  I've also forgotten to brew some booze, and we're getting a bit low, luckily we have plenty of water and plants, so it won't take me long to replenish the stocks.  I've taken advantage of my last week in this position to order a bedroom built for myself, the wife, and the kid.

The defenses can certainly use some improvements.  Some retractable spikes along the narrow pathway when the bridges are up would really help against those enemies that are too nimble for our traps, such as the nagas and the blendecs.  This would take some work, but we have no shortake of pikes, halbereds, and spears, and the more recent blendec siege has left us with enough cassiterite that we could make enough mechanisms for it to work.  I also worry about the wooden bridges being vulnerable to fire, and what to do with enemy archers that get stuck in the pit after falling off the bridge.  The naga siege showed me that from their usual position in the archer tower, the jelly shooters cannot fire into the bottom of the pit, and moving them to the narrow walkway would be far too dangerous.  Moving the champions onto the walkway worked, but could be dangerous against other enemies [OOC:  I'm thinking imps here.]

I submitted a plan to Katana to reorganize the Jelly squads and suprisingly, he accepted.  There is now one squad for champions, two squads for jelly shooters, and 2 squads for jelly knights in training.  The champions train just north of the main entrance, the the knights train near the south entrance.  This should make it easier to monitor the training and distinguish the two groups.

My last advice to my predecessor would be to keep buying wood from the caravans and chop whatever you can when you have spare labor, continue to improve the defenses and closely watch the training of the new recruits.  Keep bolt production flowing, and monitor it so it is not depleted.  Perhaps only have one squad at a time training at the archery range.  Finally, the first big construction project should be some kind of mausoleum, but please keep it as a separate building from the main structure.  That would be creepy otherwise.  The bodies ready for burial are in a pile inside the walls.  You can't miss it. 

Now, I'm off to go brew some booze, the still is near the farm plot if you need me.

[OOC:  well, my first time doing a succession fort and my first time doing fortress defense and my first time doing a no-dig fort has been pretty fun.  Documenting and keeping these updates going with all the sieges has been a lot of work, I suppose I could have gone a bit lighter on the RP, but whatever.  Originally I was going to do more stuff between the Katana dwarf and my dwarf, and do this big justification of the no-dig rule and no-wall-in rule based on Katana being suspicious of traps that would marginalize the need for him and his soldiers, and the whole point was to fight stuff constantly in dwarf-on-monster combat, which is how it has gone so far.  If you convert the current meeting hall into a water tank, the infrastructure is there to make some kind of water trap, although that won't work on many of the enemies such as the nagas or imps.  Lots of the dwarves have swimming at adequate or better, but believe it or not I can't see swimming skill levels in Therapist, or I would have included a screenshot.  I used DF hack to rename the squads to something sensible and not random, and to clean up the frozen hill titan extract.  Finally, here are the kill counts for the Champions.

Here's what the fort looks like (its worth calling a fort now)

Population, 77 dwarves.

Also, there are 4 burrows.  A melee burrow, an archer burrow, a swimming burrow, and an inside burrow.  Setting any squad to the alert "knight defend burrow" will cause only the melee squads to go to that burrow.  Setting any squad to "shooter def burrow" will cause the jelly shooter squads only to go to that burrow (currently the archer tower)

FINALLY.  Here is the save.   http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6027

Have fun, I will be monitoring this thread of course.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 04:31:27 pm by slothen »
Thoughts on water

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How so many military dwarves died under your rule I will never know. Ah well, different playstyles, it happens.

Ehndras, you're up.

(Also, Katana requests for 2 man squads for training, he has done extensive research in assigning every dwarf a single other training partner)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How so many military dwarves died under your rule I will never know. Ah well, different playstyles, it happens.

All of them were either new recruits, or insane marksdwarves.  I made a point of not burying bodies just for fun.
(Also, Katana requests for 2 man squads for training, he has done extensive research in assigning every dwarf a single other training partner)
Yeah, i saw that was quite effective.  ATM the training squads are 1 legendary everything dwarf with decent teacher skill and 3 recruits.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:55:10 am by slothen »
Thoughts on water

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Loved your write ups slothen, has inspired me to try FD also as i get bored easily with vanilla DF, way to long before any action occur's :)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

NEED OVERSEERS.  DON"T YOU DIE ON ME.  I pm'd Ehndras but haven't heard back.

thanks Intrinsic.  I probably won't try FD again for awhile, but when I do I'll be going for full on as many different types of traps as possible.

I've got a special community fort in the works that I've had in my head for at least a month, just embarked last night (hot rocky wasteland, no surface water, aquifer, untamed wilds).  I'll probably wait for the first year or two to finish to make a thread.  Won't be a succession because I want this one to be mine and I don't want a time constraint.  Also I'm currently in line for the new-players succession fort.
Thoughts on water
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5