Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [Succession] BloodSyrup- Above ground | Fort Defense | Titans Everywhere  (Read 8818 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile

March 17th, 2012:
Link to save

This fort has gotten a little boring for me. But, there could still be fun in it for some people, so I'm turning it into a succession game.

As before, no digging. You play spring to spring, although it doesn't matter if you're a little off. There must always be wagon access to the inside, and try to avoid game breaking exploits (past what's already happened unintentionally). Take as long as you want as long as you keep us updated and don't mysteriously disappear.

Why'd I turn this into a succession?
I planned to at some point, when I got bored of the fortress really. For me, right now, the military is nigh immortal and our only problem is a booze shortage (just an annoyance). It's gotten to that point where there's nothing left to do but wait, for me at least. So, since there's been at least a little interest in a succession, I'll open it up and see what other people want to do with the fortress. Maybe things will get more interesting once the fiend spiders and nightwings arrive, who knows. But, if you watch me keep a log of what happens until then, it'll probably be pretty boring. So, let's open this up!

Turns list:
Me
Me
Me
Me
Slothen
<--GOASTS D:
Ehndras <--Current
Coral

Old Post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:50:35 am by katana »
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Jarod Cain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, yes you are. Name my hammerdwarf/wrestler Torgo.
-J-
-Self Proclaimed Constitutional Monarch of Utah-
-Card carrying Ambassador of Bad People Territories-
Paddledwork

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"You are now ordered to go and found the fortress of BloodSyrup"
Well, that letter was simple enough. Go and found a fortress, name it BloodSyrup. Weird name, but I can live with that. Wait, there's more?
"Bringing pickaxes is forbidden, and all digging will be punishable by death."
You're telling me that the king signed this. Is this some sort of sick joke? Oh look, they've been thoughtful enough to also add a map of where we're going.

The Gloomy fucking forests.

"Gentlemen. Let's make this quick and painless."
I look around at the six dwarves standing before me. At least none of us are miners.
OOC: The dwarves:
Katana (Jelly assassin)- Swordsdwarf, male
Quint (marksdorf)- Hunter, male
Sarvesh (Lumberjack)- Woodcutter (with axedwarf powers.), male- free for taking
Reg- Farmer, female-free for taking
Sodel- Brewer/cook, male-free for taking
Unib- Swordsdwarf, male- free for taking
Meng- Bone carver/butcher- free for taking

"You will be provided with a bronze axe and seven units of beer."
Are you freaking kidding me. Lots of mutters of disapproval now. In the end, it's this or execution, so I continue reading.
"Two animals will also be given to pull the wagon."
Meng's eyes light up, "So we'll have some bones."
"Yeah, bones. That'll totally help us. Our bone bolts will defend us against the nightwings! Yeah, I really don't think bones are going to cut it, Meng. You can't even make real weapons out of it..."
"I heard that," says Quint. Oh right, crossbows are weapons too.
"Anyway guys, let's go. No point in arguing now."

___

1st Granite
We arrive to find everything dead. I mean, the trees and grass are all dead. I guess this has to do with all those stories of these parts being haunted. The map even clearly stated that this area was heavily forested. Only a few trees here and there. Almost as if something had ripped them all down...
Well, we've come too far now. Get chopping, we'll need to build a wooden shelter.
"Hey katana, none of us know how to build though..." Quint says.
"What? Where's Bob, the carpenter?"
"I think he mentioned something about saving ourselves some time around the squirming tendrils,"
And with that, our carpenter has abandoned us, "Hey Quint, where's your crossbow?"
"Hm? It's riiiight-" And we've lost Quint's hunting gear too. Quint, you better learn how to work with wood. And fast. Alright, go gather plants so we can get something to eat.
"What plants? These shrubs are all dead!"
DEAD SHRUBS? Alright, how the fuck are we going to do anything. Calm down. Calm down. Getting angry won't help anything.

Let's take a look at this. We've got a brook, so we won't die of thirst at least. Two horses from the wagon pulling. If we butcher them now, we won't have very much food. We'll have to wait until they breed, however long that takes...

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT?

"Found it! It was under the horses the entire time!" yells Quint happily, taking a few shots at that mutilated corpse. Well, we've got the crossbow after all.

And just as things are getting better, a cloud of fiendish ash passes by. How poetic, Meng. But we're about to die. So shut up and build the walls, quickly! It's too late, and the ash hits Meng straight in the face. She's got a fever, but nothing else seems wrong. Quint, get us some swords. It looks like we barely have enough wood to do that, so I order the deconstruction of some of our walls. No shelter, no booze, I'm beginning to think that death may have been better. Meng, go see if you can butcher one of those corpses. It may be a bit rotten, but I think we can still eat it.

___

10th slate
I think we're pulling ourselves together. We've managed to stop freaking out over the reanimated corpses long enough to build a weapon rack for military use, and are building a little hut for shelter. We tried butchering a turkey corpse, looked fresh. It came back to life and scared the hell out of Meng. So much for that plan.

25th slate
I notice Meng a bit faint and slow to act. She's literally rotting.

Looks like this smoke is pretty damn dangerous after all. Just as I say that, another could passes by. It just narrowly misses us. I panicked and butchered the horses, and that's now coming back to haunt me. Quite literally. Horse skin... Weak but annoying and scares everyone. I mean seriously, mysterious force that haunts these jungles. You're attacking us with reanimated horse hair. WHAT THE FUCK BRO?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 2: The great butchering race

I am really beginning to think that this mysterious reanimation is triggered by movement. Every time I order something done, right at our meeting area, that piece of hair renanimates itself. I'd set it on fire, but with all the dead plants around, that won't end very well. Reg's looking a little faint, and with that, Meng falls over and dies.

Six dwarves. Four of them have fevers. I'm alright, Unib too. Quint's sweating, but is managing to build the walls that hopefully will keep out any future ash.

7th Hematite

We had to fight Meng today. At first we thought she'd gotten back up and was alright, but bits of flesh falling off her arms told us otherwise. We can't even sleep, the undead just keep coming back. Then, I hear something in the distance.

Migrants.

First came Torgo, an experienced hammerdwarf. Well Torgo, you're about to find a whole new level of combat. You can have Quint's crossbow to bash things with when he dies...
Next came Zaneg, a woodworker. She's apparently really good at her job, which is good. We'll need a replacement woodcutter soon too. Her husband, a fisherdwarf, tags along. I hope he can fish well, we'll need food. Speaking of food, we get a few animals along with the migrants. I'm determined to hang on to them and let them breed, though...

UNIB! EMU!

But it's too late. Unib's crushed by the emu corpse. I'm com-

*Splat*

(And I get brained by said emu.)

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reg, Expedition Leader

Found this journal in katana's belongings. He had killed over seventy of the undead while trying to keep us safe, I guess he was just too tired. He mentions fiendish ash drifting by and causing full body rot here. That can't be good, and I think half of us are already affected. It looks like we've blocked off the sou-

It has started raining

I've only time to write on last entry. I can hear the emus coming, and we are defenseless. I just... Give up.

OOC: Alright. I'm sorry, I just cannot fucking deal with above ground evil lands. Restarting this with normal lands, same other rules.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No mining at all meaning no pit-quarries or trenches?
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No digging at all. Possession of pickaxes are banned.

"Hey Katana, let me see that. Ah, you're wrong! We're not going to the gloomy forest, we're going to the Jungle of Lungs! It's a little to the northeast of there," says Quint.

Quint, marksdwarf (hunter), male
Shem, lumberjack, male <available
Dishmab,grower/herbalist, female <available
Fikod, swordsdwarf trainee (jelly), male <available
Eral, wood crafter/carpenter, female <available
Udil, brewer/butcher, male <available

"Oh, whew. I was a little scared there," I reply. Well, crisis averted. Looks like we won't have to find out whether that place is really haunted or not. Well then members of The Early Gem, it is time to strike the earth!

1st Granite
We've arrived! It's a little warm, but overall the climate is pleasant. The wagon has stopped by a river source, I'm going to order all our supplies and stuff moved over there. Let's make a shelter here.

We begin with a simple wooden building.

Not the great stone halls that we're used to, but it'll do. While I supervise the construction, Quint goes off to hunt. He apparently managed to shoot a few wombats... in the foot. All his bolts wasted and no kills. We'll just have to make some wooden ones then. We've got a slight booze problem, but plants are being gathered, so I don't think anyone will mind just one drink of water.

6th Felsite
Work on our house continues. We're farming prickle berries mainly, since those are what we could find. Makes good wine, so I'm fine with that.
Fikod and I have made our barracks at the entrance, so we can keep watch while training.

1st Hematite
Oh wow, it's really warm here, especially now that it's summer. Some of the dwarves have decided to cool off by the river occasionally, and it looks like a good idea. Eral's taking a much deserved break from carpentry, and we've managed to find some strawberries too. Strawberries are nice, probably one of the good parts of living aboveground. While I relax, a few migrants arrive.

Asob, fisherdwarf, came first. We've got a river right by our fortress, so this will work out well. I invite him in and exchange greetings before he strolls to the river. Along with him came his children and wife, Obok. She was a weaponsmith in her previous home, but we've got that fucking no digging rule, so I don't think we'll have very much metal any time soon. She also claimed to have some experience with a crossbow, I'll keep that in mind. After them came Ushat, a metalsmith, and Uzol, a farmer. I am going to make them both speardwarves in our military, I have a feeling things aren't going to be so peaceful for much longer. I'm just about to return to training when Quint rushes back, yelling, "I did it! My first kill! Headshot too!"

OOC: And it's an emu too. figures.
Finally Quint, now we can have some meat. Quint's such a bad shot I think he ran out of bolts while shooting an already unconscious emu later that day.

16th Galena
Obok, former weaponsmith, has decided to take up bone crafting. She's making some bone crafts from Quint's kills. I'm not sure if she's genuinely interested, or just wants to impress the traders that come in hopes that they'll take her with them. Her results are pretty nice either way.

24th Sandstone
I see something in the distance. Is that the caravan? It's a little early. Wait, nope. More migrants. One girl named Ilral is good with an axe, so I give her a squad and assign that other guy to it. We also had this architect come along. He looked official, so I also made him our manager and broker. He was a good speaker, so I think he'll do well as broker.

13th Timber
The caravans have finally arrived. Our newly appointed broker does well in trading our three bins of bones. In the end, we manage to buy two bronze swords and a few pieces of armor. While I'm looking at the caravans, I notice a pickaxe.
"I thought pickaxes were banned from export because we had lost the pickaxe recipe? And we needed everything we had left for the mountainhomes? I ask.
"Er... Yeah," The merchant replies, muttering something to his axedwarf guard. They both chuckle quietly.

2nd Opal
The winters here are cold. Cold enough to freeze the river. This kinda causes a problem for us because we've got too much food, too little barrels, and the lumberjack is on break. Everyone, take sips and wait for your turn. 40 drinks left according to our stocks, so we should be fine until that lazy ass gets up. And just as I say that, he decides to stop playing with a few prickle berry seeds. Well, looks like we're going to get some wood. We could use it, the roof isn't even done yet. We're all huddled inside, there isn't much to do in winter.

1st Granite
Springtime at last! The river's melted, and the animals have returned.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll sign up for a year and a dwarfing.  Or just a dwarfing, if this isn't a succession game.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Wulven

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I might as well start here if anywhere, please dwarf me as a Butcher called Beef Dip.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not a succession, at least for a while. Slothen, dwarfing as what?

4th Granite
Eral and Udil are now married! Apparently. Everyone says they were, but no parties or anything. Speaking of parties, we're going to build a dining hall. Not much compared to the massive stone rooms we're used to, but it'll do.

23rd Granite

Thief! It looks like our old enemies won't be ignoring us for much longer. Sure we can handle a few thieves, but what happens when we end up fighting actual soldiers? While killing the kobold, I noticed something on the ground. Clay! Looks like we'll be able to save our wood! From now on, all construction will be done with clay. The only problem is, we don't have any kilns, so for some reason there's an obscure law that prevents me from actually gathering said clay. I just hope the humans bring some rock with them.

3rd Felsite
Dark stranglers, famous for attacking new settlements. There are quite a lot of them, but I think my sword will win this time. Their only strength is numbers, so the fight will be easy. Technically they're not sentient species, just extremely strong mandrill type things, so we shouldn't get into much trouble for butchering them.
Such an easy fight, I almost feel sorry for them. Oh, here come the elves. I think I remember some rule about never trading wood to the elves, and they seem pretty appalled by our wooden house, so I'm not going to push it. We don't give them bins, but they get our various emu bone crafts. In return, we got a piece of clay (yay! kiln!) and some rope reed cloth, seeds, and bags.

20th Hematite

No migrants? Well, time to get building. Sigun the gem setter popped up, he must've followed the other guys in the recent migrant wave, and volunteered to do masonry. Works for me. Unfortunately, we seem to be unable to gather clay from the ground. What the fuck, guys.

It seems to be a problem with surface clay, so I was thinking if we pump out a little bit of the river source... We'll have to wait for the next dwarven caravan for stone, but after that...

15th Galena
Human caravan arrived. Our shopping list:
-Swords
-Spears
-Axes
-Stone
Wait a sec,

Beak wolves. This one's riding a giant moth too. Never seen one of those before, apparently Quint has though. Ah, more pathetic enemies for our bone carver I suppose. They're too stupid for butchering to be considered inhumane, although what the fuck is that one riding? Aaanyway, we buy:
Lots of stone blocks
Some booze
A bronze short sword
A copper battle axe
A copper spear
A silver crossbow

There isn't really much else to buy, but everyone should be happy with their new weapons.

17th Limestone
Quint's not really willing to hunt anymore, with all the recent attacks. He thinks we'll be attacked by something actually dangerous soon, and suggests that we make a squad of marksdwarves for the military. I agree, but the problem is he's pretty much the only idle dwarf. So right now, we've got a single man marksdwarf squad. We'll build a little turret for him on the roof.
Obok the bone carver has decided to start making bone bolts too, Quint needs ammo.

15th Sandstone
Yet again, no migrants. It's strange, normally forts are flooded with migrants pretty quickly. It makes me wonder, is something intercepting these migrants?
OOC: my pop cap is way higher than our current pop

16th Timber
Ah our caravan has arrived. Sadly, they brought no stone or battle axes (poor second axedwarf). I'm going to order stone, and lots of it.

6th Opal
My main worry about our marksdwarves isn't marksdwarfship, it's dodging enemy fire. After all, how long will you cover us with bolts sticking out of y-

OH GOD.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

dwarf me as Udil, no preference beyond that.

Also have you built a roof to get some beds down?  Also I would suggest importing wood as well, since even with a heavily forested jungle, you'll need as much building material as possible.
Thoughts on water

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Our stockpiles are basically constantly full with wood. I'm importing stone/blocks for fireproof workshops etc.

We've got a roof and some beds, and I'm trying to expand the place. Every inch is used for either storage, workshops, or now, the bed. Second floor and horizontal building in progress.

Another update coming up soon.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool, haven't seen a screen of the outside constructions since the spring of year one.
Thoughts on water

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll take a Dwarf. Call him Tasrak. Give him a sword or something.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile

I'll take your firstborn er I mean first legendary. Name Dariush.

Though to tell the truth I think you're doomed, and your doom will befall very soon. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5