Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Evil cloud/rain syndromes  (Read 11320 times)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Evil cloud/rain syndromes
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 07:29:54 am »

Didn't know that evil weather blood can also cause syndromes. I thought it's either just blood, or a poisonous rain/snow/goo/etc.

I've not encountered one yet. My Terrifying Glacier embark has 'infernal ash', probably would cause 'infernal ash thralls' judging from the name, but I have kept everyone quarantined indoors.

Don't worry, you'll discover soon enough what it does. Someone will eventually get caught in it. If you're (un)lucky, it'll be the thieves or invaders.

Myshaak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 07:35:28 am »

In my current fort I only got dwarf-blood rain, it gives my dorfs the "cought in a freakish weather" thought and, for some weird reason (and as Coolio678 said) , also the happy "had a bath" thougt. The only unpleasant effect it has is that EVERYTHING IS RED, AAAARGH HURTS MY EYES!  :)

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2012, 07:37:31 am »

armok is pleased with your fort, myshaak.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2012, 07:44:37 am »

I like blood rain. Not only it's badass, it skins your terrain red, but it also makes it like Armok has blessed the land.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2012, 07:50:47 am »

A sure way to scare invaders away. Well, you know, if they could think.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Dragula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2012, 09:27:43 am »

I've read that clouds only give serious syndromes, but mine ONLY seem to give a fever? Is this possible?

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2012, 10:01:11 am »

I had one that caused every part of a dwarf to rot. The dwarfs didn't die for a year or so, but they produced miasma while walking through the fort.

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2012, 10:06:04 am »

I've read that clouds only give serious syndromes, but mine ONLY seem to give a fever? Is this possible?

The syndromes can be completely at random. The fever is not as bad as melting internal organs, but it will probably last forever. It's just annoying because your dwarves will not be able to focus (reduced stats in combat and lousy labour performance) and might get stunned at random. The later can be really nasty if you have many traps, especially with lots of serrated discs.

I had one that caused every part of a dwarf to rot. The dwarfs didn't die for a year or so, but they produced miasma while walking through the fort.

Couldn't you treat them at the hospital? All rot can be removed in just one (but lengthy) surgery.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2012, 11:38:44 am »

Couldn't you treat them at the hospital? All rot can be removed in just one (but lengthy) surgery.

If the syndrome is permanent, the rot will regrow after surgery. If the rot regrows fast enough (during surgery), the patient will die due to blood loss or infection on the operating table because the surgery never ends.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2012, 09:47:44 pm »

I'm also pretty sure that Sabreheals was founded on a glacier seperated from any other civ... because I have not seen any creature, living or otherwise, in this glacier.

No goblins, no humans, no dwarves other than the first two waves. No elves. Nothing to train my military on.

OMGTANGERINES

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 09:43:45 am »

only had one.

fuckin thrall ash cloud.

This. Wicked Ash clouds exploding everywhere, taking out entire migrant waves.
We were hoping for a constant fort at some point, having players in different time zones so that the fort never actually stopped running.  Come back overnight and find a giant penis has been constructed.  Glory to the penis gods.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 11:36:19 am »

I once played a glacier fort that was lost to demon swarms, but while it lasted clouds of some evil description floated above on the surface. Unfortunately, however, they didn't even do anything...

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 12:48:22 pm »

I got an evil soot cloud... it turned everything it touched into a soot zombie opposed to life, it spread by touch, all that was needed was one soot bunny zombie to kick another creature to turn it into another zombie... obviously the fort died by zombie apocalypse, all my livestock and 6 out of 7 dwarves got zombified, the last one was running away from a zombie bunny when I decided to kill the process...

Is there any way to protect from these clouds? it started with an announcement at the edge of the map, dissipated, then later another announcement but closer to my settlement, dissipated again, and after a while another announcement and right next to my wagon...

I even built a ceiling on top my wagon, expecting some kind of rain, but the cloud just crept around my ceiling into any opening on the walls bellow and got in...

Do you have to completely seal yourself in? what about closed doors and the like?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 01:15:14 pm »

Physical barriers > Evil clouds.

Ironically, building high enough also protects you from clouds.
(Digging deep enough works to. But where's the fun in that?)

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 02:10:27 pm »

Physical barriers > Evil clouds.

Ironically, building high enough also protects you from clouds.
(Digging deep enough works to. But where's the fun in that?)

The fact you now have FBs, troglytes, and GCSs as roomates rather than things you hide in your basement?
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.
Pages: 1 [2] 3