Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18

Author Topic: Cybrid Mafia 3:The Immortal Emperor - Game Over. The Emperor Remains Immortal  (Read 49553 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Cybrid Mafia 3:The Immortal Emperor - Day 2! The Machine Revealed!
« Reply #225 on: April 07, 2012, 01:21:24 pm »

Oh. Stupid me.

Uh, what exactly prevented Toaster from saying that openly and winning imperials the game there and then?

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 07, 2012, 01:41:53 pm »

In the OP, Blue was the number of starting Rebels, and Orange was the number of starting Double-Agents.
But there are two sets of blue and orange names and not a single number of the four is correct... o_0

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 07, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »

There were two rebels, two double agents, and one cybrid. What wasn't correct? :P

Anyways, int heir opening messages, I told all the rebels to be careful about talking in chat. I told them they might not be able to trust those they were in chat with. I made it clear to servant it was his job to ferret out the trustworthy folks and invite them.

None of them made any use of this.

And hey - people could have been like "Toaster's lying! Just investigate him and check, I bet HE'S a rebel!"

Of course, Servant was the only one who knew the double agent role /existed/ other than toaster, and he died day 1, so...

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 07, 2012, 02:17:33 pm »

So... you pretty much handed a town role information about scum identity, making their loss certain if they didn't take precautions and Toaster survived until D2. That's kinda insane.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 07, 2012, 02:31:37 pm »

And then I told the scum that their chat probably wasn't secure and they should take precautions.

I only /hinted/ at that to Book and look how his chat turned out. :P

Now imagine if the scum had NOT shrugged off my warnings and had simply used, I dunno - fake names.

And Toaster had no way to know he wasn't the only non-rebel in chat either. Especially since he wasn't.

And Tiruin wasn't GOING to be Tiruin for much longer. :P

So it was a danger for the rebels, yes, but also something they could have turned to their advantage - it would have been a great way to spread misinformation. They didn't even have to talk in it, really.

It was exactly as much a danger to them as they let it be.

Bookthras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie does not want you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: April 07, 2012, 02:39:01 pm »

The game is over!
The Imperials win!
The Rebels have failed to provide any meaningful threat at all to the Emperor.
The Cybrid has been eliminated//decommissioned//scrapped.

Yay! And there was much rejoicing! Thank you all for an excellent game, even if it was too lurky there at the end. A couple of thoughts:

a) The greatest factor in the win was Toaster's sacrifice killing the cybrid. That very much decided the game right there. Wow!

b) Since we lynched true D1, and correctly targeted Ottofar for a vigkill N1, the game could have indeed been over by D2! I don't think I ever saw that happening, excellent aim, town! Only Ottofar's unusual health saved them, and only then for a bit.

c) My admiration to the three T's: Toony, Think, Toaster, for excellent play throughout the game; Phantom had that mind-boggling slip D1, but otherwise also played excellently, thanks.

d) I suspected we had at least two doctors, knowing that I had to be kept alive, so it made sense for the scum not to target me N1, but I was apprehensive a bit when Toaster flipped doctor.

Also, what powers did the Emperor have? [...] Should've infected him Day 1.
No powers you didn't know about. Kinging, talking at night, and inviting people to the chat. But targeting me N1 would have resulted in failure as well, given the doctors.

Did anyone notice the hidden message in my Message to the Emperor? 
Spoiler: Hint (click to show/hide)
No, I totally missed it. In fact, I just went back and I can't find it at all. But something did seem off about the way you were talking, which I read not as an attempt at communication, but as subliminal scumminess. I really thought you were scum D1, and would have asked Think to target you, but your outing of Servant made me reconsider (great move, by the way, especially if you weren't actually sure! it was totally convincing).

Anyways, int heir opening messages, I told all the rebels to be careful about talking in chat. I told them they might not be able to trust those they were in chat with. I made it clear to servant it was his job to ferret out the trustworthy folks and invite them.

None of them made any use of this.
This. It was their own fault for failing to be crafty. Once I saw Servant had infiltrated my chat, I realised there was something amiss with who had access to what. The rebels really should have done a bit of effort to conceal themselves.

In short, masterful play by town, coupled with mediocre play by scum, made this game short and almost an example of the fastest possible town victory. People should learn from this for the future; it's all about player skill and engagement, not so much at all about roles.

Finally, thank GG for a very fun game. I enjoyed the flavour, and you know I always like it to be able to RP a bit and be flavourful. I really tried not to overdo it to a point where it'd be too annoying or get in the way, but I'm not sure if I didn't go over the line a couple of times. Being a confirmed townie and a big red target from the start was certainly new. But it was fun throughout.

So the Emperor and the Empire lived to fight another day. Solomon Petresun opened a secret drawer in his desk, and pulled out several medals, asked his officers and loyal citizens to gather around, arose and spoke:

Excellent work. You made short order of those pitiful rebels, and the metallic cockroach was squashed promptly. This should go down in history as a textbook example of how to work to achieve victory for your cause. I am in your debt, and you have my admiration. My Officers are promoted to a post of their choice, and knighthoods granted to all other citizens in recognition. Also, we shall have a state funeral for Toaster,  whose early diligence revealed a rebel, and subsequent valiant sacrifice secured this victory.

Thank you all. For Earth!

No one ever listens to Zathras, no. Quite mad, they say.  |  That ain't a shepherd.

Zathras hefts the corpse-of-webadict puppet and works its mouth: "I declare world peace! Yay! All hail Zathras!"
Everyone is handsomely rewarded, and lives happily ever after.  Except for Bookthras, who dies of poison in the night.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 07, 2012, 03:47:35 pm »

I'm glad the colors meant something but I'm disappointed I couldn't figure out how.

Also I didn't use my power the entire game.  A guard/roleblock is really useless.  And I'm proud of myself for catching Ottofar, or at least, helped.

MVP goes to Toaster though.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: April 07, 2012, 04:08:22 pm »

Is it a good idea to eventually run this specific Kingmaker game in the future, or is it better to leave it as a warning against bad scum play? Because I really feel guilty for my dumb play dooming the rebel team.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: April 07, 2012, 04:16:58 pm »

Also I didn't use my power the entire game.  A guard/roleblock is really useless.
It's not useless - it's actually pretty powerful. But it IS situational. If the Emperor was potentially unprotected, for example, you could buy him an extra night.

If there are two primary scum suspects, you can roleblock one while the town lynches the other. Especially good for the imperials, since the overseer can direct the guards so as not to accidentally hit officers.

Good for the rebels (in proper games) because if you attempt to roleblock an "Organizer", not only are they informed that you are a rebel, but they can choose to ignore the roleblock! Though obviously the player needs to do this in a way that doesn't reveal them to the Imperials.

It's not a SUPER-POWERFUL role, its definitely situation, and the situation definitely didn't come up here, but its not useless, really.

And finally, if it works it means you're not a cybrid - cybrids don't have guards, after all.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: April 07, 2012, 07:35:55 pm »

Another masterwork by GlyphGryph that I inevitably mess up...

Great.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: April 07, 2012, 07:52:29 pm »

Great.

Really, it wasn't your fault- it was bad luck in target selection- you picked the single deathtrap in the whole group. 

Did anyone notice the hidden message in my Message to the Emperor? 
Spoiler: Hint (click to show/hide)
No, I totally missed it. In fact, I just went back and I can't find it at all. But something did seem off about the way you were talking, which I read not as an attempt at communication, but as subliminal scumminess. I really thought you were scum D1, and would have asked Think to target you, but your outing of Servant made me reconsider (great move, by the way, especially if you weren't actually sure! it was totally convincing).

The one inside the HRs in this post.  I wanted to make it stand out in some way without being too obvious about it.

My plan was to do my best to get Servant lynched (since he had the NK) but he did the job for me on his wincon slip.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: April 07, 2012, 07:57:07 pm »

Great.

Really, it wasn't your fault- it was bad luck in target selection- you picked the single deathtrap in the whole group. 
That's my point. Every Mafia game I get into has me choosing the most likely option that leads to selfless preservation.

Also, when I first read your letter to Book, it looks...off. Not like a normal message.

Then you opened the letter in deadchat.

Boom.

My other target that I was musing over was Think0028. Look how that turned up...

Anyway, hoping for a sequel!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: April 08, 2012, 05:33:27 am »

Now imagine if the scum had NOT shrugged off my warnings and had simply used, I dunno - fake names.
Quicktopic uses login system, so it's impossible to post under a fake name while being logged in. Besides, if you accidentally post when logged in (since only then you'll be able to access topics where you participated on the main page) it won't be possible to remove the mention of your name. Besides, the scum could just use the town names. And it is certainly possible to determine the speaker by the peculiarities of their speech, verbal tics, typical grammatical errors (I'M LOOKING AT YOUR, MAX WHITE) and so forth.

The best implementation for such a system, IMO, would be the mod taking the post, rephrasing it to his liking, attaching a name like 'Operative Alpha Tango' and posting it to QT himself. The current version is just faaaaaar too full of holes.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: April 08, 2012, 09:55:54 am »

Besides the log-in woes it's up to the skill of the users to act anonymous.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2012, 12:58:41 pm »

. . .

Should've infected him [The Emperor] Day 1.
Let me explain what happened for those who are...not as smart.

1) Doctors protect against kills, not conversions. They can do their action in the night.
2) Guards protect against kills and conversions. They must announce their action in the day, as well as their Guard target.
3) Nobody protected the Emperor during the day.
4) Therefore the Emperor could have been converted in the night, and the fact that Tiruin did not do so helped doomed his cause. That being said, I would have done the same if I was in his shoes, because I'd assume the Emperor had something to protect him from conversions, even if it is something like "Weak".

A question: If the Emperor was converted as a Cybrid, would the Imperials still have to protect him to win?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18