Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Okay marksdwarves... please shoot something.  (Read 5069 times)

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Okay marksdwarves... please shoot something.
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:45:14 pm »

My marksdwarves long to be hammerdwaves, evidently.

Current state:
Plenty of ammo (assigned via the military screen, unspecific material) that they're not picking up.
Quivers.
Active.
Nothing forbidden.
Equipment, training, barracks areas set.

Am I missing something painfully obvious that I somehow managed in every other fort? ><
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Okay marksdwarves... please shoot something.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »

I'll give you a quick checklist. : )

1. make sure they have a quiver, bolts in the quiver, crossbow.
1.a make sure they have ammunition assigned to them in the ammunition screen in the military screen, and if the ammunition is specific, that you have that ammunition available, and your dwarfs have it in their quiver.
2. make sure you have the right version of DF, as there was a recent patch that fixed a bug where dwarfs would not use targets for practice.
3. make sure they have a walkable path straight to the target, with no obstructions, not even a floor grate or channel.
make sure the training dummy thing is set to having your marksdwarfs train there, and that the shooting direction is correct.
4. make sure they can access the room.
5. make sure they aren't in a burrow.
6. it gets more obvious from there, and I don't want to insult you buddy.
: D

hope that helped!
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:35:02 pm »

I think I'm getting hung up at the 'WHY WON'T YOU PICK UP THOSE BOLTS?!'

Checking their inventory, they're got armor, crossbows and quivers. Checking the ammo page, they're assigned a pile of unspecified bolts and rocktip bolts, both for combat and training.

Though it might be a Masterwork mod thing; I tried making other kinds of bolts and they picked up... one. Won't fire the thing though, whether it's at a target or an actual hostile.

-----

...Yep. Misunderstood something in the mod. Sorries, all. ><
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:51:08 pm by Aoi »
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:13:35 pm »

Untrained marksdwarves can be really reluctant to pick up ammo. Itīs like they have no clue how that works. Try to station them right next to the ammo stockpile (or, better, put the ammo stockpile in the room with the archery target or near their barracks).

Build a goblin shooting gallery with ammo nearby. Give a move order to the gallery, then after they emptied their quivers station them at the stockpile.

A workaround for skilling marksdwarves is to make them hunters for 1-2 years. At least from my experience hunters gain experience much faster without that kind of micromanagement.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:45:58 pm »

What version is it? There were bugs with marksdwarves in some of the recent (but not most recent) versions.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:18:48 pm »

I've noticed a problem since early versions of DF2010 where under the ammunition screen, only single bolts are listed, and the giant stockpiles of bolts are not.  I've found it can be resolved by removing the ammo stockpile and designating another just like it nearby.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 02:58:34 am »

I had this problem yesterday, my markdorf emptied his quiver and did not want to replenish it, after using many tricks, I handed up forcing him to be a melee dorf, and then switched him again to markdorf... it worked, he picked everything again. I hope I won't have to do that each time his quiver is empty though!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:17:54 am »

Has the bug where bolts stored in stockpiles and containers magically cease to exist for the purposes of shooting them been fixed yet?

If you made them and used the workshop as an ammo repository they'd use them just fine, but when you hauled them off to a stockpile it was like some kind of hidden flag was set and they refused to touch them.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 03:39:48 am »

I think it works fine if they're in a stockpile, but somebody in the mod thread [wasn't sure if it was a problem with the modded bolts] asked about them being binned, so that problem might still exist.

In that case-- how to get them out of the bin? ><

robertheinrich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 04:05:48 am »

In 34.04 I had marksdwarves refilling their ammo from bins on ammo stockpiles just fine.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 04:38:29 pm »

My marksdwarves long to be hammerdwaves, evidently.

Current state:
Plenty of ammo (assigned via the military screen, unspecific material) that they're not picking up.
Quivers.
Active.
Nothing forbidden.
Equipment, training, barracks areas set.

Am I missing something painfully obvious that I somehow managed in every other fort? ><

Archery range, not barracks, right? Barracks are for melee dwarfs.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 04:40:54 pm »

But marksdwarves still need one for crossbow drills, shield usage drills and dodging practice. They sure as hell need that kind of practice.

Go order them to kill some stuff. See what happens. I kind of think that until they get a "marksdwarf" label they dont really act much as one.
This is a blank sig.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 04:47:39 pm »

But marksdwarves still need one for crossbow drills, shield usage drills and dodging practice. They sure as hell need that kind of practice.

Go order them to kill some stuff. See what happens. I kind of think that until they get a "marksdwarf" label they dont really act much as one.

good point they need that practice, but you might just want to give them one thing to do at a time. First let them actually be able to hit anything with the bolts, then let them practice staying alive long enough to get a chance to shoot. Or the other way around.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 05:41:51 pm »

Isn't a barracks also how you designate an area for them to sleep?

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 10:41:22 pm »

Under e, f check to see if any bolts look like this (bolt) green checkmark. If you have this, once a marksdwarf empties his quiver, will not pick up any new bolts. The (bolt) designation means its either a bolt fired outside that was not destroyed, one fired in a recycle range not reclaimed, or assigned to hunters previously, even a disbanded military squad. The dumb dwarf still thinks he needs to get it first, its a weird forbid scenario. The bolts still existing outside the fort, assigned to military squads that fired them, have to either be destroyed, or reclaimed, then officially forbidden through stock menu
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: [1] 2