Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 134

Author Topic: Igynpadca  (Read 192964 times)

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Igynpadca
« Reply #735 on: May 29, 2012, 02:35:14 pm »

So I just signed up for the multiplayer version of this game, since I figured that'd be easier to learn than the singleplayer version. What kind of character typically plays best, and what sort of things should I get to doing first?
Well, as far as anyone has been able to tell, no one class, class/race, or class/race/template combination is good at everything. And there isn't really one thing you need more than anything else in this game: sometimes it isn't prudent to have the most damage per second, but, rather, the most seconds per damage is needed, and many obstacles or challenges are best solved with skills. Usually it's best to just pick a class at random and experiment.
Hmm. Well I thought I'd ask before even starting the game up to make sure I don't screw things up horribly. That said, I think I'm going to go with a Chipmunk Gladiator, just for kicks.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 29, 2012, 02:38:05 pm »

So I just signed up for the multiplayer version of this game, since I figured that'd be easier to learn than the singleplayer version. What kind of character typically plays best, and what sort of things should I get to doing first?
Well, as far as anyone has been able to tell, no one class, class/race, or class/race/template combination is good at everything. And there isn't really one thing you need more than anything else in this game: sometimes it isn't prudent to have the most damage per second, but, rather, the most seconds per damage is needed, and many obstacles or challenges are best solved with skills. Usually it's best to just pick a class at random and experiment.
Hmm. Well I thought I'd ask before even starting the game up to make sure I don't screw things up horribly. That said, I think I'm going to go with a Chipmunk Gladiator, just for kicks.

Ah, so you're going with the fantasy servers. Those are fun, but it's always a good idea to try out both servers. A warning, though- the space servers are less stable- we had a volcano planet go nuts recently. It was messy.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 29, 2012, 02:56:04 pm »

Ah, so you're going with the fantasy servers. Those are fun, but it's always a good idea to try out both servers. A warning, though- the space servers are less stable- we had a volcano planet go nuts recently. It was messy.
Yeah, I read a bit about that while getting reviews on the game. That's one of my main reasons for sticking with the fantasy servers.

On that note, I think I may have found a bug. I've found a few cruddy-looking coins on the ground, but none of the merchants will accept them. Keep saying they want pinecones or acorns or something instead. Is this a bug, or does this game just have some really weird-ass currency?
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 29, 2012, 02:57:38 pm »

Hey guys, I have a question. I have a medum-size cruiser, but I'm not sure what to arm it with. I won't have many problems with cost, but I just need some ideas for what to equip it with so that it can be effective in battle. Big battles, to be specific.
I prefer relatively low tech standard projectile cannons myself.  The projectile doesn't travel as fast, but both the cannons and the ammunition are extremely cheap and easy to come by, and like the higher tech projectile guns they will still play havok with shielding systems.  They have the infinite range inherent to projectile weapons, unlike the beams which will lose their focus downrange, and shells in flight are nearly impossible to detect on sensors due to a low energy signature and when they do, they are usually just detected as a fast moving small meteor.  And unlike the higher tech guns you can order your munitions guys to load the things up with any old scrap metal lying about and they will still fire.

Sure they add to space pollution and can become shipping hazards, but I play pirate, who cares bout that stuff.  And I love the sound of my dual hellbores when I'm firing on some guy who's using the autopilot in low patrol zones.  Yea, just keep flying in a straight line, I have a couple friends that will meet you in 300 km.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 29, 2012, 02:59:14 pm »

Yeah, that's just what this game is like. And those coins have no use until you find the Ancient Vending Machine of Kraal.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 29, 2012, 03:03:17 pm »

Yeah, that's just what this game is like. And those coins have no use until you find the Ancient Vending Machine of Kraal.
Well I'll probably just chuck the things then, since chipmunks get stuck with a ridiculously small inventory space. Does whatever currency this game uses stack weightlessly, or am I going to be limited to only being able to carry around twelve.... pinecones, is it? Speaking of which, where exactly does one acquire pinecones? I saw a nice enchanted metal toothpick in one of the shops, but the thing looked like it would cost a shitload, especially for a chipmunk.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 29, 2012, 03:08:24 pm »

((If you think about the fantasy server enough, it sounds a bit like a really advanced DF adventure mode, heavily modified.))

Last time I checked they were weightless and stacking, but if you want, I think I have a diamond toothpick lying around somewhere.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 29, 2012, 03:10:55 pm »

Chipmunks actually have a rather large inventory capacity; you just need to store most of your things in your mouth. In fact, as you level, you'll gain a hyperspace inventory. Meanwhile, you can also bury items anywhere for storage, but you have to remember where it is you buried them when you want to retrieve them.

As for pinecones, they can be found in forests and also in greatest numbers from pinetree-type mobs. Most mobs can drop pinecones, actually, but you need a pinecone drop-rate increase item to get them to drop any. (Some have their pinecone drop-rates at zero or in the negatives, so you'll need a drop-rate adder rather than a multiplier. Those with droprates in the less than one but greater than zero range will do fine with a multiplier, usually, unless they drop partial pinecones, in which case you'll just get more partial pinecones, which are pretty much useless.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 03:15:02 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 29, 2012, 03:14:16 pm »

@Doomblade: Nah, I think I'd rather work my way up. I have no idea how this game handles level scaling or things like that, and the last thing I'd want to do is screw myself over by carrying a really advanced weapon.

Unless, of course, it doesn't actually have level scaling. In which case, I'd be fine with the diamond toothpick.

@Kadzar: I didn't even know that was a thing you could do. Wouldn't that inflict damage if you do it wrong, though? I think I saw something about that in the tutorial.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 29, 2012, 03:19:41 pm »

It only inflicts damage if you put something sharp in there (and you can get away with that if you put it in a sheath first). And actually you'd be storing them in your cheeks, though you do have to use the "eat" command to do it.
Glory to Arstotzka!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 29, 2012, 03:28:29 pm »

Yeah, uhm guys. You know those Space-Time Schockwave devises.  Well , I might have actually caused a rupture in the fabric of Space and Time. It's located in the sector 22 A6 Plural Beta, and seems to be quite large. Impressive special effects though. Unfortunately, it seems that something is coming through, and it's not exactly friendly. I had a hard time battling of the scouts, lost 2 frigates there. Anyway, the rupture is still expanding, and it'll open completly in an hour or 2. I'm currently gathering my fleet near it (Zenon sector 22 A7 Plural gamma), in order to do a full frontal assault on whatever comes through. Who's with me?

Spoiler: Current forces (click to show/hide)

For those of you who are planning a secret strike attack right now, forgot it. We 're covered by the local Annihilator Starbase.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 29, 2012, 04:34:15 pm »

Oh man, it's been forever since I last even thought of this game. I used to have so much fun playing a gorgoro sky pirate- nothing is more hilarious than that character portrait of a giant turtle with a tree on its back wearing an eyepatch, a skull and crossbones headkerchief, and rocket boots. I even managed to unlock the female version, although I had to reskin it after I realized that the giant heart in the middle of its chest actually looked more like Japan- if you know what I mean. I quit after Redheadkoala left though; it just wasn't the same after that.

Speaking of which, did they ever manage to fix the Blood Panda Chieftain bug? The one where your char would get transported to OtherWorld and frozen mid-stride in the middle of the cutscene where you have to challenge the Chieftain's heir to single combat in the way of the Blood Pandas (the only thing that the Honorable Bamboo Blade you sometimes start with is good for, for you noobs out there) or get a major honor penalty? I got so pissed after the third time watching my char get ripped apart by those unkillable void machine things without even getting the chance to run that I decided to take the honor hit, which destroyed my chances of joining the Pillbug Brigade. I had to get my gorgoro reskinned again after that, because who the hell wants to play a giant turtle with stylized demonic roly-polies tattooed onto her face, arms, and belly without being part of the Pillbug Brigade?

Also, if that giant island over by the edge of Sector 22 is still there (I heard mentions of possibly introducing a story arc involving nuclear warheads, giant anti-gravity boosters, and something about the Last Airbender the last time I hung around the forum), you should know that there's a way of getting around the gorgoro-only requirement:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 29, 2012, 04:43:28 pm »

I'm bringing my now armed cruiser over, along with a destroyer or two. It's not much, but I put a lot of money into boarding parties in case I got the chance. Think several boarding parties made entirely of small 'mechs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 29, 2012, 07:09:58 pm »

I'll throw in a hand too, I'm nearby and if that's what I think it is it will be a doozy.

Just try to convince the locals to give me a privateering license will ya?  Let them know that I would much rather be busting up the other clans' ships than theirs, (they have more money in salvageable ship computer accounts) but if I don't have a signed privateering license none of their local stardocks over there will let me dock.   Or at least amnesty while I'm helping deal with this thing?

Anyway I can contribute a heavily modified Temeraire class Criuser with a small fighter bay addon and a MK5 subspace core (Yes the expensive one), a wing of buzzers, and a Silverwing class frigate modified with a heavy torpedo spinal mount.  I have plenty of torpedoes but I don't have the facilities to combat rearm it, so unless somebody has a ship big enough to have a frigate bay, I'm just gunna order my guy to fire once and jump outta there. 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:07 pm »

Hey, anyone want to join me in hitting up Drogelstown North in sector 142? I hear the loot's excellent.

Unless I'm one of the few here who still play fantasy...
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 134